View Full Version : keyboard for dell x50??

kaitanium
11-04-2004, 03:29 AM
when will dell issue some good discounts on their x50...anyways does anyone know if the x30 keyboard will work with the x50? or if there are any non-wireless keyboards that are compatible?

yanathin
11-04-2004, 04:01 AM
It was confirmed by ThinkOutside that the drivers from their website will work with the Dell BT keyboard. The original thread is found here: http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=56471

I have no idea why Dell says it isn't compatible with the x50v... They're just losing sales on that. When I reordered mine (long story), I would have purchased the keyboard if it was on the customization list. Oh well...

ADBrown
11-04-2004, 04:02 AM
when will dell issue some good discounts on their x50...anyways does anyone know if the x30 keyboard will work with the x50? or if there are any non-wireless keyboards that are compatible?

The X30 keyboard will not work, and until Dell ships their own, there are no non-wireless keyboards for the X50.

yanathin
11-04-2004, 04:17 AM
Whoops, sorry, didn't notice the non-wireless preference... Well, it looks like the BT keyboard is the only keyboard that will work with the x50v at the moment, in case you absolutely need one. The price is rediculous, though.

kaitanium
11-04-2004, 09:00 AM
arg, should i even get the x50 then i need a keyboard, what if dell never releases a keyboard for it

ADBrown
11-04-2004, 09:04 AM
I am sure that Dell will release a keyboard for it. They always have in the past, and it would be stupid of them to not offer a keyboard. It just might take a few more weeks before they're available.

Sven Johannsen
11-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Isn't there anyone that has the Dell branded ThinkOutside BT keyboard that can try either the Dell or TO drivers on the X50? I will when I get my X50. (unfortunately I was one of the first to order, so I'll be the last to get it :evil: ) Can't really imagine why it wouldn't work. It's not like the X50 really has a different OS than the X30. I can confirm that the Dell branded one works on my HP4155 BTW. I just downloaded the drivers from TO. They look identical to the ones on the Dell CD that came with the keyboard.

ADBrown
11-05-2004, 01:18 AM
I'd try it with mine, but I don't have a Bluetooth keyboard. I see no reason why it wouldn't work, though.

msprague
11-05-2004, 02:20 PM
I have the X50v and Dell BT Execeutive Keyboard. I installed the X30 drivers and the keyboard works fine. But, I still have not been able to use the keyboard and activate wifi simultaneously. If I have the BT keyboard driver loaded and try to start wifi I get the dreaded "Unrecognized Card" error for wifi and the wifi driver does not load. If I have wifi on and then try to establish a keyboard connection, the keyboard driver says that there is not a recognized bluetooth stack available. I can use wifi simultaneous with a BT connection to a GPS receiver, but not the keyboard. I have also seen a message about not being able to load a driver becuase of not enough driver memory?

So the keyboard works, but there are issues.

CESkins
11-05-2004, 05:43 PM
The ThinkOutside BT keyboard with TO driver v3.1 (comes on a CD w/the keyboard) works just fine with the Dell x50v. I would have been surprised if it didn't considering that the Dell BT keyboard is simply a rebranded version of the TO keyboard.

msprague
11-08-2004, 12:14 AM
I was initially using the latest Dell BT drivers available for the X30, which worked, but I could not get the wifi driver to load as well as the BT kb driver. I have switched to the latest Think Outside drivers (v4.0) and I am having better success. Immediately after a soft-reset I can get both going.

CESkins
11-08-2004, 05:14 PM
msprague where did you obtain version 4 drivers for the TO BT keyboard? The latest driver that came with my keyboard was v3.1 and the TO website doesn't list any more recent drivers.

msprague
11-09-2004, 02:02 AM
http://www.thinkoutside.com/support/index.html
Under "Select Your Device:" pick Compaq iPAQ
Under "Driver or User Guide" should be Driver (V4.0) All Keyboards / BT Mouse

That's where I got it.

CESkins
11-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Thanks msprague I found it...installed it on my Dell x50v and it works well. Now I may need to go out and get the BT mouse just to justify the new SIP icon in the bottom bar of my Today screen. ;)