View Full Version : Looking For An iPAQ hx4700 Case?

Janak Parekh
11-04-2004, 02:30 AM
If you're looking for a case for your new iPAQ hx4700, here's a few resources you might find useful:<br /><li> E&amp;B is now <a href="http://www.ebcases.com/Detail.bok?no=3300">selling a slipper case</a> for the hx4700.<br /><li> The Gadgeteer has reviewed two brands of cases: <a href="http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/pdair-ipaq-4700-leather-cases-review.html">PDair's flip and side cases</a> as well as <a href="http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/brando-ipaq-hx4700-clipcase-review.html">Brando's flip case</a>. Out of curiosity, how many of you find the flip cover insufficient and are planning to get a case for your iPAQ?

OSUKid7
11-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Out of curiosity, how many of you find the flip cover insufficient and are planning to get a case for your iPAQ?
Well, my 4705 is at HP for service now, but I'm considering getting a case for it during the next two months. The flip cover is alright, but not as protective as the included flip cover pack for the H3800/H3900 series.

Thanks for the links. :) I'll be sure to consider them all before I buy.

Jerry Raia
11-04-2004, 04:49 AM
I'm using the old Compaq case that had a slot for a cf card in it and the plastic screen cover that came with the 4705.

bkbroil
11-04-2004, 05:07 AM
I am waiting for a Vaja Case for my hx4700....Right now I'm using a Vaja Case that I had for my Toshiba e805....The case fits really nice but there's only one problem...I have to sort of push the PPC up a little to access the iTask button....Other than that it works perfectly....Maybe I won't wait for a Vaja case and just keep using this.... :D

jimski
11-04-2004, 05:12 AM
As I have always carried my PPC in my front shirt pocket I have never used a case, especially for full bodied devices like the 3870 or 5450. When I first saw the 4700's flip cover I said, "this thing has got to go".

And it did while I was cradled and loading all my apps and setting things up for the first time. After a day or so, I put the cover back on and decided to give it a chance. I admit that I have actually grown to like it. It does not add any bulk in my pocket and does offer a degree of protection when I need to put it in my bag (while passing through airport security for example).

Now that I have come to sort of rely on it, I have contacted three different HP departments looking for a spare in case something happens to the one I have. I have heard back that there are no plans to offer it as a retail accessory and I am still waiting to hear back from HP Parts.

blueman
11-04-2004, 05:12 AM
As much as these things cost you would think they would have given the buyer something.

I hate the plastic cover. It's pretty useless.

Someone said for me to look into Rhino when I got it--but not to expect to actually get it for six months.

Blueman

Jerry Raia
11-04-2004, 05:19 AM
I think the plastic cover is good. I dont know if I would use it as the only protection but since it adds no bulk, I think even in another case it would make scratching the screen less likely.

seaflipper
11-04-2004, 05:36 AM
I really like the plastic flip cover included. I don't worry about carrying it in my pocket and accidentally scratching the screen. It certainly doesn't provide total protection like a Vaja case or something like that would, but the included case is very good in my opinion. It also protects the case while on the cradle, or sitting flat on your desk should you accidentally drop that letter opener near by :D

What I would like to see is some sort of case that lets you keep the included flip cover on. So far, I haven't so I am happy with my $20 Timbuk2 pda sleeve. Excellent protection in my bag, a tad bulky, but works very well for what I need until the "perfect" case comes along...if it ever does!

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=28

And heavens no, I didn't get that mint green one!

Jerry Raia
11-04-2004, 05:58 AM
The old Compaq case lets me do that. Though it isn't very eloquent :)

pocketdoc
11-04-2004, 06:45 AM
I too am looking for s SLIM case. I used a HandheldPlanet slip case that was VERY thin with my 4155, but they are now gone. I may see if a local leather smith can make one.

I did preorder the Sena flip case. Is the E&B thinner? The site reports 0.6 inches thick which is pretty slim.

PDAExtreme (sp) has a silicone skin-tight case that looks like it has an opening in the front for the included flip cover. It is opague-white, so I am not yet interested. I would also worry about heat build-up.

aviator
11-04-2004, 08:05 AM
I always use Krusell (http://www.krusell.com/) cases for my phones and PDAs and have, and can recommend, this one now for my hx4700 (good prices too)

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/58/58427/krusell_ipaqhx4700_1.jpg

Jerry Raia
11-04-2004, 08:18 AM
They dont seem to sell them on thier site. Where did you get it?

Deslock
11-04-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't use a case. The hx4700's metal shell is solid and the flip cover provides enough protection to carry it in my pants pocket. The hx4700 is a bit taller and heavier than my previous PDAs, but it's thin enough even for jeans.

torring
11-04-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm also waiting for Vaja to make a decent case, the reviewed ones look kinda crappy to me. The Krusell case look OK though, and I have a had quite a few of those in my time (HP 2210-case was bad, but 19xx very good, as was their cases for the original Ipaq 3XXX).

Vaja just makes the best cases I have ever tried, and well worth the steep price tag.

disconnected
11-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Oh good, more cases. :D I have a Covertec case, and have ordered a Sena, but more is good! The Covertec case fits well, except that the snap is a new design and doesn't seem to want to stay snapped.

I carry my iPAQ and case in a purse, so I'm not too worried about damage, but the 4700 has introduced a new problem to worry about. The other day, shortly after trying out a few cases (none any good) at CompUSA, my iPAQ wouldn't turn on. The battery latch had worked itself to the unlock position. I locked it again, and that fixed it, but I'm assuming that with the latch unlocked only the backup battery was operable, and would have died shortly thereafter. Most flip cases will probably leave the latch at least partly exposed, but zip cases are usually bigger and less convenient.

ladyvols
11-05-2004, 04:50 PM
I just received my case from Piel Frama. This case is great! The case fit my 4705 perfectlyand the cutouts matched the unit completely. The is a beautiful case and offers very good protection.