View Full Version : How to change AVI and Mpeg files to smaller dimension

John Hung
11-03-2004, 08:49 PM
I watch TV shows downloaded from the itnernet, but they are typically large files (350+ meg for an one hour show). The dimensions are usually 6xx/3xx (VGA). If I want to watch these shows on my PPC, I believe these files need to be encoded down to a smaller size (320x240). What programs do you recommend to this conversion?

Thanks for your help

husky99
11-03-2004, 09:30 PM
I have used Microsoft Encoder as well as some Divx tools. Encoder is pretty easy to use and you can play them back in MS media player. I forget which Divx tools I used, but they do the job if you don't want to use M$. When you get down to even smaller sized files you can start messing with slower frame rates and audio compression.

powerbook17
11-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Don't use win encoder, you don't want that crappy wmv on you ppc. Downloas Pocket divx encoder (free) and it will give you everything you need. For a player on the ppc use betaplayer, simply the best (free also)
http://www.exceed.hu/~picard/betaplayer

SteveHoward999
11-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Don't use win encoder, you don't want that crappy wmv on you ppc.

Have you got something concrete to back that up with? Windows MovieMaker is about the simplest app I have found for reencoding movies to a good size for desktop, web, PDA .. whatever use. It offers two presets for PPC and the files play great for me on my Toshiba E755.

Darius Wey
11-04-2004, 03:25 AM
Both WMV and AVI (DivX) have their ups and downs. I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions here. For the purposes of TV shows / movies, both formats work well - which one you use really depends on the kind of day you're having.

WMVs work great for photo stories. :)