View Full Version : does anyone know of PPC software that will allow a csv attachment to be viewed?

mark.daykin
11-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi - I receive emails on my Compaq Ipaq with csv attachments. When I try to open them I get a message that it is an 'Unrecognized file type. Tap and hold the attachment to save it and open it using a compatible program'.

I assume this means that Pocket Excel doesnt recognize csv files. Is there anything available that I could use.

yankeejeep
11-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Pocket Excel is a very stripped-down version of its desktop counterpart. There are several alternate spreadsheet apps available that are more functionally-equivalent for the PPC, including support for more file types. A good resource for you to check would be the software encyclopedia section at pocketpcmag.com and browse through the spreadsheet apps listed there. I use PlanMaker, but I don't think it has native support for .csv files, only .txt as its supported text file format.

Lex
11-03-2004, 09:19 PM
I don't do email on my PPC but would this work? Detach the spreadsheet attachment into a folder of your choice on the PPC, then find and open it from within Pocket Excel?

Jacob
11-03-2004, 09:34 PM
csv files are usually just text files - just as "Comma Separated Values" (C S V) - I.e. not excel specific.

You could probably rename the file to have a .txt extension and open it in word - the problem is it won't be nicely formatted or anything

yankeejeep
11-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Depending on what is delivered in .csv format, viewing it as simple text can run from mildly annoying to completely confusing, especially when the columns set off by the commas contain variable-length data. Because it is a pretty straight-forward implementation of formatting through text delimiters, I'm sure there is a Pocket Excel replacement that can work with them. I have just never needed one myself so it has never been an inconvenience that PlanMaker supports plain text but cannot properly interpret comma delimiters in the text file.

SoftMaker
11-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Depending on what is delivered in .csv format, viewing it as simple text can run from mildly annoying to completely confusing, especially when the columns set off by the commas contain variable-length data. Because it is a pretty straight-forward implementation of formatting through text delimiters, I'm sure there is a Pocket Excel replacement that can work with them. I have just never needed one myself so it has never been an inconvenience that PlanMaker supports plain text but cannot properly interpret comma delimiters in the text file.
PlanMaker will ask on import of a plain-text (CSV) file which delimiter to use when importing, and commas, tabs, semicolons and any user-defined character can be used.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH