View Full Version : New user

nik96
11-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi

As a new PDA user, I went for the iPAQ hx4700 - and I'm very pleased with it.

I've looked through some of the posts and topics here; but there a lot. I hope this hasn't been asked before:

I want to control my music, stored on a PC upstairs, and play it through the hifi downstairs. I'm running iTunes on the PC, and I have a wireless network. I added Airport Express, which pipes music via the wireless network, and has an audio output to connect to the hifi. It works fine. But there's a missing link. I have to go upstairs, to the PC, to select a playlist to hear on the hifi.

What's missing, for this couch potato, is the ability to link on the wireless network from my 4700, and tap into iTunes on the PC via some control/monitor/terminal application on the PDA. How do I do it? Any suggestions please? Ideally no-cost, of course!

Cybrid
11-04-2004, 10:16 AM
You could use terminal server if and only if you're running XP pro or Windows 2000

nik96
11-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Alas, I'm on XP, not Pro.

Janak Parekh
11-07-2004, 12:48 AM
The other way to do it would be to use VNC (another remoting solution) -- Google for it. Not nearly as slick as Remote Desktop, but it should be workable.

--janak

nik96
11-08-2004, 10:09 AM
OK, I'll try that, thanks. Does it talk through ports? If so, how easy is that to set up?