View Full Version : PDF's - how to view them better?

VegasRook
11-01-2004, 08:31 PM
I am not sure if it is possible. When I view PDF's on my hx4705, I am getting mad that I need to keep scrolling over to view the rest of the sentence. back and forth, back and forth.

Is there any way to get a pdf to word wrap or shrink the main pdf viewer so I can not have to scroll left and right? Really makes pdf viewing suck.

I guess I am using clearview PDF viewer. When I ran acrobat and opened a PDF, there were no words, just block lines.

Any help appreciated. :D

I just wanted to add that if I put the PPC in landscape mode and reduce text to 35%, it fits on the screen. It is very small though. Be better to have larger text and wrap or something. Any ideas...

VegasRook
11-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Well I think nevermind. I just discovered a program called Repligo.

It rocks! I downloaded the trial and LOVE the display flowed option. I also like how it is now integrated in all my programs like office, acrobat, browser, etc. Very sweet. I am buying this program for sure now.

I think I read somewhere that it can be used to print out threads nicely for reading later.

Kati Compton
11-02-2004, 02:59 AM
Yes - a lot of people love Repligo. I don't have it yet, but will buy it when I get my X50v.

Darius Wey
11-02-2004, 03:18 AM
Is there any way to get a pdf to word wrap or shrink the main pdf viewer so I can not have to scroll left and right? Really makes pdf viewing suck.

If you copy PDF files over to your PPC via ActiveSync, there should be a pre-configured filter that reflows your PDF files so that on the PPC, if you enable the "Reflow" option, it formats the text to fit the width of the screen. Otherwise, the full version of Acrobat also has an option for you to do this.

Otherwise, Repligo is highly recommended.

VegasRook
11-02-2004, 03:22 AM
yea, I got errors when I was syncing in.

Repligo is sweet and I am going to just use that. Real simple to use and it is now integrated with all my apps on my desktop :D

KimVette
11-02-2004, 07:35 PM
If you copy PDF files over to your PPC via ActiveSync, there should be a pre-configured filter that reflows your PDF files so that on the PPC, if you enable the "Reflow" option, it formats the text to fit the width of the screen. Otherwise, the full version of Acrobat also has an option for you to do this.

That only works for tagged PDF files.

Darius Wey
11-02-2004, 07:51 PM
That only works for tagged PDF files.

Huh? Isn't that what I said? :?

Copying the PDF via ActiveSync will attempt to tag the file, or alternatively, you can do this within a full version of Acrobat. Either way, you can tag an untagged PDF file to enable the Reflow option on the Pocket PC.

applejosh
11-02-2004, 11:43 PM
I've run across a few pdf's that didn't "reflow" using the ActiveSync method. Don't know why, and apparently I didn't care enough at the time to investigate further. I haven't tried Repligo or any of the other viewers out there since I really don't have too many pdf's that I need with me at all times to justify any costs. But the Adobe "reflow" method isn't perfect in my past usage. (But it is free, so I give it credit for that.)

Darius Wey
11-03-2004, 03:32 AM
I've run across a few pdf's that didn't "reflow" using the ActiveSync method. Don't know why, and apparently I didn't care enough at the time to investigate further. I haven't tried Repligo or any of the other viewers out there since I really don't have too many pdf's that I need with me at all times to justify any costs. But the Adobe "reflow" method isn't perfect in my past usage. (But it is free, so I give it credit for that.)

Not all files can be tagged - it depends on what content it has inside. You will find that for most of your text-based PDF files, the tagging method works without problem. However, I still recommend Repligo either way. :D

Ommadawn
11-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Repligo also shrinks the file size (well, almost always 8) ). Sometimes the difference in file size is quite dramatic, which can be important when you have a lot of docs on your card.

VegasRook
11-05-2004, 03:01 AM
Yea, I am QUITE happy with Repligo. It simply rocks. Love how I can quickly convert stuff for my PPC. I keep coming up to webpages I want on my ppc, simple as clicking print :D