View Full Version : PhatPad 2.0

VegasRook
11-01-2004, 02:20 AM
I just downloaded this demo and tried it out. Got to say, I like it alot. My question is, who here uses it and what are your thoughts?

Is PhatNotes the same thing only more pro or?

I am still trying to figure out what is making Calligrapher make some letters CAPS and some not.

Looks like I will buy this calli/phatnotes combo. I am going to do a note test later but wanted to hear thoughts on this app.

Jacob
11-01-2004, 02:46 AM
Hello again :)

Phatnotes is better for organizing a lot of notes, but it doesn't do handwritten notes.

Phatpad allows you to do handwritten notes and drawings :)

As for calligrapher, check out their help online. THey have some tips I think. One thing is the size of the letters as you draw them compared to the others - i.e. draw a M bigger than the y next to it and you'll get My, not my.

It does make mistakes of course though.

VegasRook
11-01-2004, 02:49 AM
yes. I have been practicing some and getting a little better.

I still can only get a ? when I draw a ? about 5% of the time. The other 95% it comes out almost always as "7". :D

I plan on simulating one class of notes and timing myself to see how phatpad does. I think it will be awesome when you have something to remember or write down on the spot.

weeeeeee :D

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 04:33 AM
I plan on simulating one class of notes and timing myself to see how phatpad does. I think it will be awesome when you have something to remember or write down on the spot.

Of course, the more you practice, the better you are at it. I can now write on my Pocket PC as fast as I can on paper. A wonder, isn't it? ;)

On a side note, you will find that PhatPad is a very excellent "notepad-type" program. Coupled with a desktop application, it allows good synchronisation between your PPC and your PC. Also, PhatPad's support for antialiasing make the notes a lot easier to read. With different colours and ink markers, you'll find it hard to put down. It's definitely better than the default Notes program IMO.

ctmagnus
11-01-2004, 06:47 AM
I use PhatPad almost exclusively for quick scribbles. Then when I get some time, I convert the scribbles to text either through Tools -> Recognize... or just doing it myself. Then I copy the text into a more permanent application, eg Pocket Word saved as an rtf or, more likely, FlexWallet or ListPro.

Something I really, really want to do in the near future is go back to school and I can envision a Pocket PC with PhatPad and Calligrapher installed being my only note-taking apparatus.

VegasRook
11-01-2004, 06:48 AM
With different colours and ink markers, you'll find it hard to put down. It's definitely better than the default Notes program IMO.

Yep. I spent 30 minutes earlier doing nothing but making up sentences, drawing, changing colors, etc.

Much better than the default stuff. Can't wait till I learn how to use it better and the pen commander. I keep printing out CALC but can't get the calculator to pop up. Probably something I am doing wrong.

I figure in a few weeks I will really start to have the hang of Phatpad, recognition, etc.

applejosh
11-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Those of you with Calligrapher and PhatPad, how well does the integration work? I wanted to test that functionality, but it won't let you do the "recognize" feature with just the demos installed. It looks like a wonderful idea, and I'm curious how well it works. Also, how bad is your handwriting? (Mine is terrible, and I wanted to see how well the recognition works overall.)

Jacob
11-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Those of you with Calligrapher and PhatPad, how well does the integration work? I wanted to test that functionality, but it won't let you do the "recognize" feature with just the demos installed. It looks like a wonderful idea, and I'm curious how well it works. Also, how bad is your handwriting? (Mine is terrible, and I wanted to see how well the recognition works overall.)

It's of course, the same recognition engine as when you just use Calligrapher for text input.

It puts the recognized text into a text note part of the note and you have the opportunity to fix any mistakes. You see it in a split screen so the text is above and you can still see the drawn note below.

I do a similar thing as ctmagnus. I convert my Phatpad notes to Phatnotes and store them there. This allows me to use the search capability of Phatnotes with them and I use phatpad for quick notation.

VegasRook
11-01-2004, 08:22 PM
My handwritting is the worst. Most of the time, when writing fast, my lower case E's almost look like lower case C's. I am finding that if I put a little thought into my writting as I am putting it down on the PPC, it helps a lot. I am starting to get Calligrapher to recognize a lot of what I really am writing now and am getting the hand of fixing mistakes.

For classes where the notes will be fast and furious, I will use my bluetooth wireless stowaway keyboard. However, for simple notes (IE board of notes to take down at some point in class), I am getting more confident that I can do that with Calligrapher. At the very least, scribble it into phatpad.

Look out world, here I come....