View Full Version : Thunderhawk by Bitstream

lewiedude
11-01-2004, 01:08 AM
I was wondering if anyone has used Thunderhawk as a browser for any extended subscription period of time...Like a few months or so.

What are the cons? I understand what the pros are.

Any help is appreciated.

Tye
11-01-2004, 03:27 AM
Cons: Lack of Java support.
Can't select text in a page.
Clunky interface.
VGA screens still look like QVGA - I hope they update this soon.

Even with those it's been worth my $50/year. Try their trial, it's free for a month.

Janak Parekh
11-06-2004, 11:00 PM
VGA screens still look like QVGA - I hope they update this soon.
The sad irony of this is TH's QVGA still looks better than PIE in VGA. :|

It's worth noting that v2 fixed a lot of my concerns (although Tye's still exist) -- in particular, scrolling and such have been speeded up. One of my other nits is that you must use their UI and keyboard, which isn't quite as nice as a SIP.

--janak

spinedoc
11-07-2004, 11:35 PM
I still cannot believe that thunderhawk costs a yearly subscription after seeing what a complete and total piece of crap it is. It is even worse on the smartphone. Hopefully the rumored Opera browser will surface in the near future.

I have had very good results with skweezer, MUCH more functional than the turd browser from TH.

Janak Parekh
11-07-2004, 11:37 PM
I still cannot believe that thunderhawk costs a yearly subscription after seeing what a complete and total piece of crap it is.
v2 on the Pocket PC is a massive improvement from v1, and I'd hardly call it "crap". It's quite good. :?

It is even worse on the smartphone. Hopefully the rumored Opera browser will surface in the near future.
Agreed on the Smartphone version, though -- the navigation is clumsy at best. Opera's technical preview is out for the Smartphone, and it is absolutely top-notch. Do note that Opera works best with a mobile accelerator, which is also a for-pay proxy service.

--janak

Tye
11-10-2004, 06:10 AM
And I just received an email from them that they are looking into improving the VGA versions of ThunderHawk. Basically saying there's no technical reason why it can't be done so we'll see what happens. Their email responses are always so cautious...

SpineDoc, just curious why you hate TH so much. Are there particular sites or functions you rely on?
I use Skweezer to for a small number of pages but usually prefer TH (but you can't beat the price for Skweezer).
Again, just curious?