View Full Version : Question about charging with USB synch / charging cable.

algae
10-31-2004, 04:59 PM
I bought a USB synch /charging cable yesterday and it has worked fine for
synching. I put my Ipaq 4150 on to charge a few hours ago. If it's charging,
it's veerry slow. Is this normal?
Also the charging light is not on. I've tried two of the rear usb ports (on the motherboard - A7N8X mb) as
well as my front ports on the case but no diff.
Any thoughts?
Thx
Gary

Darius Wey
10-31-2004, 07:15 PM
The USB synchronisation cable is not designed to charge the PPC through the bus. It's touted as a USB synch/charging cable for the fact that you can acquire a separate AC cable which allows for USB and AC connectivity. You will always need some sort of power source to charge the unit. Connecting your unit to the USB port will only allow for synchronisation.

EDIT: Sorry, made a typo. ;)

algae
10-31-2004, 07:19 PM
Hmm. Well if that's the case, then I may as well buy another cradle, given that I will need an adapter to add on to the synch cable. What do you think?
G.

Darius Wey
10-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Hmm. Well if that's the case, then I may as well buy another cradle, given that I will need an adapter to add on to the synch cable. What do you think?
G.

Well it has its ups and downs.

Actually, your USB cable should already have this adapter on the cable. Is there a socket for you to connect the AC plug in? If that's the case, all you need is the AC cable.

If you plan on carrying the cable around, it will save a lot of room compared to a cradle. However, if you like the convenience of an extra cradle in case you have another computer, then perhaps a cradle is more preferable.

algae
10-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Yes maybe you are right. Funny they never mentioned this when I bought the cable because I specifically told them what I was using it for. Is it a proprietary adapter?
G.

Darius Wey
10-31-2004, 07:31 PM
Well, it's not an adapter. It's just an AC cable that plugs into the little AC port on the USB cable. It's a lot like your mobile phone charging cables.

As to whether it's a proprietary cable, yes and no. "Yes" because it is probably preferable to access the original cable knowing that if it stuffs up, you have the guarantee of HP themselves; "No" because there are other cables out there that do charge the unit. It may be a cheaper solution, but it really depends on who you're comfortable with.

EDIT: Actually, it is an adapter, but I don't want to confuse you between this small little adapter, and the entire cable/adapter package. :lol:

OSUKid7
10-31-2004, 07:34 PM
Actually, it could a software problem. I don't know if the 4150 has this option, but I'm going by my hx4705. Hit Start > Settings > System > Power > USB Charging. Then check Use USB Charging, and select Fast Charge.

Not sure if that's a WM2003SE-only option or anything, but it's worth a look.

Darius Wey
10-31-2004, 07:38 PM
If you click here, (http://h30143.www3.hp.com/configure2.cfm?sid=18090&jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-002_HP%20iPAQ%20Pocket%20PC%20h4150&lang=en&cc=us) you will find the accessories compatible with the h4150. Look for the AC Power Adapter. That's probably what you're after. ;)

Darius Wey
10-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Actually, it could a software problem. I don't know if the 4150 has this option, but I'm going by my hx4705. Hit Start > Settings > System > Power > USB Charging. Then check Use USB Charging, and select Fast Charge.

Not sure if that's a WM2003SE-only option or anything, but it's worth a look.

Nah...I'm pretty sure this cannot be done on the h4150.

algae
10-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks OSUKid7 but I think DJ is right. I don't have that option. <sigh> ...off I go to spend a few more $$$:)
You have been very helpful. Thanks again.
G.

OSUKid7
10-31-2004, 07:48 PM
Ah, ok, thought it was worth a try though. Now that I think about it though, my mom uses my old 3650, and charges with a USB sync cable. It seems to be charging fine, but maybe it's just because she doesn't use it much and therefore doesn't notice how slow it charges. :lol: I should check that sometime.