View Full Version : What do you use your Pocket PC for?

jbachandouris
10-31-2004, 12:13 AM
I jave an HP 4155 and aside from reading Avantgo pages and looking up an ocassional phone number or address, I rarely use it. What do the rest of you use yours for? I would like to use mine more and need ideas.

dh
10-31-2004, 01:09 AM
I jave an HP 4155 and aside from reading Avantgo pages and looking up an ocassional phone number or address, I rarely use it. What do the rest of you use yours for? I would like to use mine more and need ideas.
Wow, you need inspiration. :D
I'm not using my PPC at the moment because I have a Zaurus, but I use them both for:

Organizing my days - PDAs are great for PIM use
Portable office - MS Word and Excel files
Reading - I have not bought a print book for a couple of years and read every day without fail.
E-mail on the go using Wi-Fi connections.
Meeting notes
Viewing my digital photos
Speaker notes at seminars I present
Listen to music - use to watch movies as well but haven't for a while.

I bet others use theirs for much more, but I use my Zaurus many times every day.

Mitchybums
10-31-2004, 02:20 AM
I got an Ipaq 2215.
I mostly use it for movies, but also as an MP3 player at work.
Also games every now and then when bored, but I also use it with VNC to remotely manage my home network.

VegasRook
10-31-2004, 04:23 AM
I just got mine today (iPAQ hx4705). Some things I am planning to do, I hope:

play audio/video when away from home.
use it with my bluetooth wireless keyboard for taking notes in class
use the recorder to record speeches or simple notes.
put all my contacts in it
use for daily schedule
use pocket word and excel
store up lots of docs I would love to be able to read around the house or away
read e-books possible if I find some I like
use the wi-fi around the house and maybe elsewhere
thinking of getting the digital camera add-on
thinking of getting the GPS add-on
more as I figure it out...

I just played a 200mb clip on mine, off of a ibm 1 gig CF drive. Looked pretty good. Some delay from reading from drive. Love the graphics :D

oguime
10-31-2004, 05:24 AM
PIM stuff and projects using PI and ListPro...

But since I bought a larger memory card have used my 2215 to listen music and Podcasts while commuting.

It has also became a very nice reference for movies (IMDB) and general info (Wikipedia) using Tomeraider.

jimski
10-31-2004, 05:34 AM
How about;
-Calendar for keeping track of business and personal appointments and special days
-Tasks for the same reason
-Reading and sending email
-Meeting notes
-Calculator
-Photo and video viewer
-Reading ebooks
-Listening to MP3
-Using Notes or Lists to keep track of information

That should keep you busy for awhile.

szamot
10-31-2004, 06:06 AM
.. aside from the usual calendar, email, notes and contacts, I am a always will be an ebook junkie. A bit of MP3's not so much movies but a short video clip of this or that. Pictures of kids and of course every single password, login for every single piece of virtual real estate, as well as every single login and password for every single piece of equipment and software for every single client. That information to me is worth its weight in gold. Other than that an occasional game here and there.

Also comes in handy for turning off a wall of TV's at various electronics stores - it confuses the sales people tremendously and is worth a good giggle. I would say I walk a healthy balanced line between professional and recreational use.

VegasRook
10-31-2004, 06:36 AM
I typically read about 60-100 pages a day (manuals, textbooks, etc). I thought I would like ebooks but after seeing the pricing, I don't.

For example, I saw a book that in print form (which I can touch and feel and read anywhere) which is about $30, was $17 (after discounts) in ebook form.

Why pay this much for a simple copy of data?

The profit margins are much higher in electronic data. I felt $10 (or lower) is the right price for an ebook, basically 1/3 of its hardcopy price.

But that is just me.

tourdewolf
10-31-2004, 07:26 AM
Well I am sorry to say the about all I do with my 4355 anymore is movies.

TopDog
10-31-2004, 12:26 PM
I have a phone edition, so I use it as a phone...

But the more "usual" PPC activites I do almost every day is:

I'm addicted to having my Calendar and notes close by. I connect with my friends using MSN Messenger and PocketICQ. Sometimes I chat on IRC. When bored I play some games. And I manage my codes and personal info with eWallet.

maximus
11-01-2004, 01:47 AM

Listening to oggs/mp3s.
Watching fullsized DVD on the go.
Browsing internet via GPRS.
Sending SMS.
Pocket ICQ.
Checking appointment, calendar & contacts.
Making notes.
e-books on those boring meetings.
And last but not least ... Games :)

JimPAQ
11-01-2004, 03:44 AM
Hmm where to start...

- Of course PIM (Pocket Breeze / Contact Breeze)
- Finances (MS Money)
- Shopping (Shopping List Pro)
- Cooking (Recipe Works) (I'm a single dad)
- Note taking (Phatnotes)
- MP3 (WMP)
- Reading (MS Reader)
- Dieting (Pocket Diat Tracker)
- Navigation (Pocket Streets)
- Geocaching (VITO Navigator)
- Scoring son's baseball games (Scorepad)

Of course all the games and things to keep you occupied while setting at the dentist's office.