View Full Version : Storage card use with Samsung i700

LynnPritchard
10-30-2004, 01:27 PM
I am a somewhat ignorant but enthusiastic and determined user of a Samsung i700. Have just achieved sending and receiving email via Mobile 2003 and Verizon.

My question: is there a source of help for using the storage card function? I recently purchased and installed (stuck the card in the slot) a SanDisk 256 MB card for my i700. My intent was to download some games, etc., onto the card so as to keep the memory on the actual device as clear as possible, as I have 4000 contacts in Outlook. The unit recognizes that there is a card in place but has not suggested formatting it or anything else.

How do I find out 1) how to download to the card, and 2) how to access whatever I have stored on the card, and 3) if it requires formatting? Can't find instructions or help anywhere.

Many thanks-

Darius Wey
10-30-2004, 02:25 PM
The unit recognizes that there is a card in place but has not suggested formatting it or anything else.

How do I find out 1) how to download to the card, and 2) how to access whatever I have stored on the card, and 3) if it requires formatting? Can't find instructions or help anywhere.

Many thanks-

It is quite simple actually. Most cards are usually pre-formatted, and if your Pocket PC can identify and access it, most chances are that it is indeed pre-formatted.

Using File Explorer on the Pocket PC, you can navigate your way to the root folder and from there, you will probably find a folder called "Storage Card". You can copy and paste files in there if you wish. That is also the same means with which you would access files on the card too. If it does require formatting, it probably would not allow you access. To format the card, you would either need (a) a storage card utility for the Pocket PC such as StorageTools or Flash Format, which can format the card, as well as do a multitude of other functions, or (b) you can use a card reader/writer attached to a computer; you stick the card in, open up My Computer, right-click the drive and select Format. From there, it is pretty self-explanatory.

rocky_raher
10-30-2004, 07:07 PM
When you install new software, the installation program will usually ask you, "Install program in the default location? Yes/No" The default location is the main memory, which is not what you want. Click on "No," then you'll get another messagebox with a drop-down list, containing "Main Memory/Storage Care/Safestore." Select "Storage Card."

If you've already installed programs to main memory, the simplest way to move them is to uninstall and reinstall them. If you are very familar with File Explorer, shortcuts, and the Windows menu system, you can usually move a program manually.

NsOnLn
01-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I read somewhere that the i730 only supports up to 1GD SD cards... Is that true? I was going to get a 2GB SD Ultra II 2G. I found a very good price here:

http://www.flash-memory-store.com/secure-digital-2gb-sandisk-ultraii.html

kgb
01-28-2006, 06:18 PM
I read somewhere that the i730 only supports up to 1GD SD cards... Is that true?

Has anyone been able to determine the answer?

Beatdemon
10-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi KGB,

As you may have read from my subject line, I am experiencing strange anomalies with my i730 and a new SanDisk Ultra II 2 Gig SD Card. For one, when the card is plugged in I can't access my Phone settings, nor can I click on the "Notifications" tab without the phone locking up. As soon as I take out the SD card, these problems dissipate.

As far as the i730 and 1 Gig constraints are concerned...that's actually a fallacy. According to SanDisk's website, the i730 can access up to 2 GB on an SD card: http://www.sandisk.com/Compatibility/Device(8010)-Samsung-i730.aspx.

Now just so everyone else is aware, I went through 3...yes count 3 freekin' Samsung i730 phones to finally figure this out! It is obvious that Verizon's PDA tech support hasn't yet found this to be an issue. I'm calling them today to inform them.

Cheers,

BD