View Full Version : Sandisk Releases 2Gb SD Cards and 512Mb Mini-SD cards

Jonathon Watkins
10-30-2004, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04102702sandisk_highcapcards.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/0...ighcapcards.asp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"SanDisk today introduced the world’s largest capacities of Memory Stick PRO™, Memory Stick PRO Duo™ and SD™ cards with 4-gigabyte (GB), 1GB and 2GB capacities respectively. These new cards are double the current maximum capacities and are designed to fit into a broad range of digital cameras, digital camcorders, music players, games, mobile phones and other consumer electronics devices."</i> <br /><br />The title says it all really. From November you will be able to get Sandisk 2Gb SD Cards for US$199 and 512Mb Mini-SD cards for US$69.99. Larger capacity SD and Mini-SD cards? Yes please. However there is no word on the rated speeds in the press release. Lets hope the speed increases match the capacity increase.

aLTeReGo
10-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Will we need these 4GB SD cards? Yes! The new Wikipedia TomeRaider file with images will be 1.5 Gigabytes with the images included in the encyclopedia.

=)

Steve Jordan
10-30-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm so glad we've reached the day when memory capacity is becoming such a cheap commodity. We're at the head of the era of putting all of our data into electronic files, making them accessible to anyone, everywhere. Imagine the potential for sharing information worldwide!
Now, if only we can use this new power for good, instead of evil. :hippy:

SteveHoward999
10-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Will we need these 4GB SD cards? Yes! The new Wikipedia TomeRaider file with images will be 1.5 Gigabytes with the images included in the encyclopedia.

=)

I love myiPod, but if I could get all my music on my PDA and get the same battery life, the iPod would be dust ...

I am looking forward to a newer generation of PDA with 40++ Gb memory cards. Then I can get all my photos, music, some movies ... All I need is a minimum 4 hour battery life when playing movies and I will be happy.

Unfortunately I am also looking forward to machines like OQO maturing, so I may never get the 40 Gb PDA, and instead go straight to a teensy PC .....

xendula
10-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Just imagine what you can do with a PPC if you have 5 GB or 10 GB cards at affordable prices!! I have a 1 GB SD-card coming and am already longing for the 2 gig one..

The new Wikipedia TomeRaider file with images will be 1.5 Gigabytes with the images included in the encyclopedia.

=)Where? When?!? So it IS out in English also? In what format? I thought there was just a German Mobi version out there.

On another note. I see all these mini-SD cards coming out, but so far I just know about one or two cell phones that you can use them with. Did I miss something or is the industry just preparing for a revolution from SD to mini-SD?
The newest card readers are now16-in-1 readers (http://www.lidl.de/de/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20041101.p.USB_Speicherkartenleser.ar29) - how obsolete my 6-in-1 reader already is!! :roll: And what the heck are "RS Multi Media" and "Smart Media RAM"?!

(Secure Digital, Mini Secure Digital, Multi Media, RS Multi Media, Smart Media, Smart Media RAM, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MS-PRO DUO, MS Magic Gate, MS Select Function, Compact Flash Typ I & II, IBM Microdrive, XD) :idontthinkso:

gibson042
10-30-2004, 05:06 PM
The newest card readers are now16-in-1 readers (http://www.lidl.de/de/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20041101.p.USB_Speicherkartenleser.ar29) - how obsolete my 6-in-1 reader already is!! :roll: And what the heck are "RS Multi Media" and "Smart Media RAM"?!

(Secure Digital, Mini Secure Digital, Multi Media, RS Multi Media, Smart Media, Smart Media RAM, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MS-PRO DUO, MS Magic Gate, MS Select Function, Compact Flash Typ I & II, IBM Microdrive, XD) :idontthinkso:
16 "formats," but only 10 (I think) unique interfaces. You've got to love marketing :drinking:

Solarix
10-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Availability
SanDisk Memory Stick PRO

4MB

$799.99

November

I do believe that is a mistype.... on that page, but damn. could you imagine $800 for 4MegaBytes?

gibson042
10-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Bah! Under what circumstances could anyone ever need more than 1 or 2 MB of storage? Next you'll be saying that 640 KB of RAM isn't enough...

jerryd
10-30-2004, 09:27 PM
And the best part is that now the cost of the 1GB SD cards will go even lower!

ricksfiona
10-30-2004, 10:44 PM
And I was just going to buy a 1GB SD card... 2GB? Here I come!!!

s_kates81
10-31-2004, 05:58 AM
not more than 1 year you guys are gonna see cards more than 10 GB storage for sure :oops:

Jonathan1
10-31-2004, 03:06 PM
not more than 1 year you guys are gonna see cards more than 10 GB storage for sure :oops:

Not likely since SD only supports up to 4 or 8 GB...can't remember which.

Anyways. Has Sandisk cleaned up their record of uber slow disks? Right now I wouldn't touch a Sandisk no matter who cheap or how large they are. Got burned several times on their wares. :?

shawnc
10-31-2004, 06:38 PM
With the way the 1G prices have recently dropped, this news doesn't likely come as a surprise to many. What is a pleasant surprise is the price. $199 for a 2G SD card is much less than I expected. I was one of the suckers who purchased the 1G card shortly after they came out and I paid much more than $199. Great news as far as I'm concerned and at $199 I may be in line to purchase.

Judgeless
10-31-2004, 07:42 PM
I could not find the the max size of a SD/MMC card but the sdcard web site shows 32GB cards over time.

http://www.sdcard.com/usa/TextPage.asp?Page=2

maximus
11-01-2004, 01:29 AM
Cool. Now the price of 1GB SD is going to go lower and lower.

And what the heck are "RS Multi Media" and "Smart Media RAM"?!

RS MMC = Reduced Size MMC. The one that is currently being used on newer siemens mobilephones.

Smart media RAM = Smart Media, with a bit of ice topping. :)

jlp
11-02-2004, 12:16 AM
I could not find the the max size of a SD/MMC card but the sdcard web site shows 32GB cards over time.

http://www.sdcard.com/usa/TextPage.asp?Page=2

Indeed, 32GB is the (theoretical) maximum of SD cards; 4GB is the maximum for miniSD cards :pukeface: RS-MMC are limited too, just like all those :pukeface: tiny :razz: d@m :multi: cards :splat:

Judgeless
11-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Indeed, 32GB is the (theoretical) maximum of SD cards; 4GB is the maximum for miniSD cards
I could not find a spec that shows the Max size of a SD card. I do not think there is a limit. I think you are limited based on the file system you use on the card. FAT32 with a large cluster size will support alot more then 32GB. Can you post the link you found that shows the max size is 32GB?

jlp
11-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Text at the linked page above says "Capacity will expand to 2GB, followed by 3GB, and up to 32GB allowing the SD Memory Card to handle..."

Jerry Raia
11-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Great prices. I just got a 512 CF card for my 4705 and dont know what else to put on it. It already had a 256 SD card and it wasn't full either.

mysticzzz
11-08-2004, 04:09 PM
I Use my 1 gb compact flash card to hold tv shows and ebooks, And my sd card to hold games. I have the iPaq 2215 with dual slots. And I still carry around 4 more cards in a small case. I also have a Creative nomad Jukebox with a 30 GB hard drive, with ~ 8000 song on it and Old Time Radio Shows. I would love to have it all in one device on 1 or 2 cards.

SteveHoward999
11-08-2004, 04:31 PM
I would love to have it all in one device on 1 or 2 cards.

when I can have 30Gb or so easily-accessible RAM on my PDA my iPod will be redundant. I'll happily stump up the cash for one or two spare batteries for the PDA so I can play music all day and read books when travelling using one device.