View Full Version : Synching with bluetooth vs. cable.

algae
10-29-2004, 03:02 AM
What are your opinions on this? Neither of my desktop pcs have BT so I guess I would need to buy a dongle? Worth the effort or should I just buy an extra cable?
Tia
Gary
(Ipaq 4150)

taxus
10-29-2004, 03:24 AM
It's more practical to use the dock. Most of the time I synchronize with the dock.

I bought a Bluetooth USB dongle mainly for Internet access. But there are not that many Pocket PC friendly Web pages, not in my mother tongue anyway. RSS news feeds are all nice and good, but usually they redirect you to non Pocket PC-friendly pages. And this forum has no Pocket PC-friendly version either. <hint, hint>

Bluetooth often isn't easy to make work. See posts here. Nevertheless, having a BT-enabled PPC, I just had to set it up. ;)

I suggest you visit Spam Target's Bluetooth Guides (http://home.comcast.net/~spam-target/) before you buy a dongle.

algae
10-29-2004, 03:58 AM
Nah..if it's a pain I'm not interested:) I think I'll just buy one of those synch/charging cables instead.
Thanks
Gary

Darius Wey
10-29-2004, 04:15 AM
Nah..if it's a pain I'm not interested:) I think I'll just buy one of those synch/charging cables instead.
Thanks
Gary

It actually isn't a *pain*. As long as you know what you're doing, you can be up and running within a few minutes. When I set up my BT network, it only took me 5 minutes tops. Best of all, it's only a one-off setup process. Once you have established the entire network, you won't have to bother with settings ever again.

If you enjoy portability around the home and would like to be able to be on the internet for simple purposes, at any place but your computer (e.g. couch, bed, etc.), it is a viable networking option to consider.

But apart from being able to be on the internet and access network files, you can also synchronise your device - all away from your computer.

algae
10-29-2004, 06:05 AM
I have a wireless network at home. Do I still need addtional hardware for my desktop pc?
G.

Darius Wey
10-29-2004, 06:12 AM
I have a wireless network at home. Do I still need addtional hardware for my desktop pc?
G.

If you have a wireless network at home (I'm assuming 802.11b?), then you can interface with your h4150 directly since your PPC has integrated Wi-Fi and BT capabilities. You probably won't need any extra hardware for your PC unless your current wireless connection is an ad-hoc. If so, your PPC would constitute a third device in the network, and you would probably need a router, if you don't have one already.

algae
10-29-2004, 10:48 AM
My router is a Linksys WRT54G. The PPC connects to the internet and e-mail no problem. How can I set up the PPC to sync using the network? I don't see any reference to my desktop pc in the activesynch connection options.

Thanks
Gary

Darius Wey
10-29-2004, 11:14 AM
My router is a Linksys WRT54G. The PPC connects to the internet and e-mail no problem. How can I set up the PPC to sync using the network? I don't see any reference to my desktop pc in the activesynch connection options.

Thanks
Gary

You may find this step-by-step guide (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_september24.mspx) to be of use. It's a little old but the principle is still the same. ActiveSync really hasn't changed much over the past few years...(unfortunately). :roll:

Phillip Dyson
10-29-2004, 01:30 PM
I second the usefulness of bluetooth.

I use to use a cable, but after I bought my Audiovox smt5600 the cable got out of hand. So I bought a dongle for my laptop and now sync both devices over bluetooth. Its great.

It would be nice if I could initiate syncs from the laptop though. Right now I have to initiate from the devices, and then I have disconnect my phone from the laptop.

But otherwise its good. Reduces the clutter. :way to go: