View Full Version : x30 verses the x50v Is the upgrade worth it?

bmurphy
10-28-2004, 06:04 PM
I've just got the x30 624 mhz and I would like to know from anyone if it is worth going back and upgrading to the x50v? The only difference is the VGA card (+ the extra slot). Is the screen that much different that it is worth upgrading to? anyone have any comparisons of both?
Barb

upplepop
10-28-2004, 06:26 PM
I've seen the iPaq hx4700 screen, and VGA is really nice. You do get a much sharper picture and the ability to see more on the screen. But I don't believe it is worth upgrading just for the VGA. Read my thoughts about device upgrading here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33725&highlight=)

Take a look at this pic:
http://www.aximsite.com/x50review/high/resolution.jpg

bmurphy
10-28-2004, 06:49 PM
thanks for your info... I looked through the thread you mentioned, and you have good points. I'm afraid I'm a tech junkie... and I've had a hard time restraining myself from all the new stuff. I primarily read e-books and have had a great time using the wi-fi from my chair (keeping a watch on pocket pc thoughts for example), and watching messenger to see if anyone of my contacts has come on. The CF slot would be nice since my camera uses that, and I have big cards already, but I haven't even remotely used up the 256 mg sd card that I have in the x30.
My problem is that I paid hugely for my Cassiopeia 3-4 years ago, and it was obsolete before I got it out of the store, and I promised myself that I would get the most upto date stuff out there when I replaced it. (I also have to contend with Can. pricing!)

jasondearyou
10-28-2004, 11:24 PM
it depends on your desire. I think that you shouldn't upgrade as yet, it sorta feeds your techaholism, since you admit that you're a techaholic. So unless you are extremely discriminate, keep what you have and move on unitl they have something worth upgrading to and spending extra money on.

my two cents.

PS. my name is jason, an i'm a techaholic.

:devilboy:

Darius Wey
10-29-2004, 04:00 AM
thanks for your info... I looked through the thread you mentioned, and you have good points. I'm afraid I'm a tech junkie... and I've had a hard time restraining myself from all the new stuff. I primarily read e-books and have had a great time using the wi-fi from my chair (keeping a watch on pocket pc thoughts for example), and watching messenger to see if anyone of my contacts has come on. The CF slot would be nice since my camera uses that, and I have big cards already, but I haven't even remotely used up the 256 mg sd card that I have in the x30.
My problem is that I paid hugely for my Cassiopeia 3-4 years ago, and it was obsolete before I got it out of the store, and I promised myself that I would get the most upto date stuff out there when I replaced it. (I also have to contend with Can. pricing!)

IMO, I believe you should hold off on the upgrade. WM2005 devices will hit us sometime next year and I'm adamant that the offerings then will be bigger and better than the X50v, and the hx4700, and Loox 720 for that matter. You just purchased an X30 (624MHz). If you go for the X50, yet a few months down the track you see another device you like, you're going to be creating an even bigger hole in your wallet aren't you? :? These are my thoughts anyway...

I believe you should wait until WM2005 debuts. You will have a lot more devices to choose from. :)

bmurphy
10-29-2004, 05:07 AM
Thanks for all your replies, and you all have good points. as I am using the dell, comfortably sitting and watching skating and also replyiing ... the wi-fi is the best part of the x-30 (x50v),and the speed is wonderful.. and explorer works really well,not having to wait long for it to load the pages. Has anyone managed to see both the x30 and the x50v side by side? what I'd like to know is ,is there a noticable difference in the screen? and ok, it would be nice to have CF card slot but the speed is the necessary item. I sound like I'm talking myself out of the upgrade, but I have a couple of days left in my 30 day return and it is really just the difference in money for the 2 items.
but once that 30 days is over... that is it.

Kati Compton
10-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all your replies, and you all have good points. as I am using the dell, comfortably sitting and watching skating and also replyiing ... the wi-fi is the best part of the x-30 (x50v),and the speed is wonderful.. and explorer works really well,not having to wait long for it to load the pages. Has anyone managed to see both the x30 and the x50v side by side? what I'd like to know is ,is there a noticable difference in the screen? and ok, it would be nice to have CF card slot but the speed is the necessary item. I sound like I'm talking myself out of the upgrade, but I have a couple of days left in my 30 day return and it is really just the difference in money for the 2 items.
but once that 30 days is over... that is it.

Oh, so you just got the X30? It's up to you. Really, an X30 is a nice machine, and most people would be perfectly happy with it.

My current policy is "upgrade every-other cycle". So I'm going from an X5 (2002) ->X50v (2003SE).

bmurphy
10-29-2004, 10:30 PM
yes, I just went from the Cassiopeia e-125 to the x30.... and I loved the Casio for it's brilliant screen, and nothing has matched it so far (not even the x30)( which is nice but still doesn't match). I love the x30... but if I had waited just 3 weeks, my choice would have been the x50v. That should last me for another long time... but I want to have the latest out so I don't get as far behind in technology the way I did with my casio. The screen is important to me, and I don't want to be limited in applications down the road the way I did with my Casio, so I want to have as much expandability as I can. I think that I have decided to spend the extra... and get the bluetooth keyboard which allows landscape mode when typing as the other plug in doesn't. I like to type and keep in touch with my contacts while doing other things. My wireless router gives me freedom, and I want to take full advantage of that.

famousdavis
10-29-2004, 11:09 PM
I have a brand-new Dell X30 sitting on my desk, awaiting the UPS man to pick it up next week. I played with it on Monday and Tuesday evenings this week, and quickly decided that it felt AWFUL in my hand -- I'm used to the thin, curved iPAQ 1910. The X30 dug into my palm so badly that I couldn't fathom keeping it, even if it were only until next year when WM2005 devices would begin appearing (hopefully!).

I'm going to try the X50v instead. I've ordered it, it'll come in about 2-3 weeks. The rounded end of the X50 is much more appealing, and the X30 is so bland, design-wise, that it's hardly impressive to show off the new device to friends and co-workers. The X50 at least looks new, cool.

I like the VGA aspect, too, of the X50v.

Did you find the X30 screen taps to be unresponsive? I found that I had to tap several times for it to register. Did you try the audio on the X30? I had to crank it up to 100% to get a good sound level, not loud, but then, with the setting at 100%, I could never get it any louder even if I needed to.

I'm used to a thin stylus on my 1910, so the X50's thin stylus will be easy to adapt to. The fish stylus of the X30 seems clumsy to me.

BTW, you've got 21 days, not 30 days, to return your X30 (that's what my Dell person said). Because I'm upgrading, it seems that Dell is waiving the 15% restocking fee, too. Another plus.

Dump the X30 and get the X50v. You're a techie, you want to have a cool device you'll be happy with...at least until next summer.

;-)

bmurphy
10-30-2004, 02:08 AM
finally someone that has tried the x30! Now that you mention it... the taps are sometimes unresponsive, but I didn't notice it since it is so much faster than my Casio. I didn't really find the shape a problem but since I'm not out any money... I can upgrade with no problem (just a little overlap on my credit card) I've ordered the x50v, and am waiting for the return slip so I can send this one back. The x50v should arrive about the same time as the return slip. so I won't be out of a Ppc.
Thanks for all the opinions, they were helpful. the one thing that I didn't factor in at all is that the x50v is a larger screen, and that will be nice to get back to the bigger screen.
Anyone know if windows mobile 2003 will support some type of Java? I had a power outage here and for a while my big computer was out. The wireless had powered back up but I need a little program (that works with java) that tells the Airport to dial-up. It would be really handy to have that on the Dell. but it needs Java to work. and maybe that is too large to work on a pocket pc.

famousdavis
10-30-2004, 02:37 AM
the one thing that I didn't factor in at all is that the x50v is a larger screen, and that will be nice to get back to the bigger screen.

Well, yeah, it IS bigger...but only by 2/10ths of an inch in diameter! I'm not expecting it to make a material difference in my experience using a handheld. ;-)

ppcmw
11-02-2004, 05:48 AM
If you are a techie then you need to get the most current device on the market. I have never owned a PDA/PPC and I have a regular boring cell phone. I am now in the market for a PPC and a real cell phone. After 3 months of research and about $100 dollars worth of magazines purchased I have made a decision. I'm going to buy the best of both worlds and yes it will cost more but I will fullfill my needs and that's what we are all trying to do. I'm getting the Axim X50v to use on my home Wifi set up. Add BluetoothTeletype GPS for driving and of course add software as needed. My cell phone will be replaced with the just released Palm Treo 650 which will also serve as my PDA device and have access to the internet anywhere I am and since the 650 and X50v have Bluetooth if I need to surf the net away from home and need a bigger screen I can use the 650 as a modem and the X50v as the screen. There is no one device on the market that will meet all our needs but I think having the X50v and the Treo 650 and Wifi at home is a win win situation at home and away. (but it will hit our pockets much deeper ) :mrgreen:

bmurphy
11-02-2004, 07:53 AM
going by my use of the x30 wi fi setup at home and Library (the only other wi-fi hot spot on my small Island), the performance is great. Unfortunately... my cell phone provider doesn't support bluetooth so I can't use the kind of setup with a treo 650 to access the wireless properties of the pocket pc. It's kind of frustrating that bluetooth isn't supported. Your setup sound great. When I'm sitting on the ferry... it would be nice to use the time actively, but at least with the x50v my books will come through well.