View Full Version : Problems connecting to the internet - 4150

algae
10-28-2004, 04:10 AM
Be kind to me...I'm a recent Palm convert:) I just set up my new 4150 and had no trouble finding and connecting with my Wireless network (Linksys WRT54G router). Needed to enter encryption key to access it.
Now it's showing me as "connected" but I can access any websites, icq, etc. I'm getting "The page you are looking for cannot be found" error message.
Anything obvious that I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Gary

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 04:31 AM
Is your internet connection enabled for sharing?

Assuming you have Windows XP, the best way to do this is:

Start > Connect To > Show All Connections

Then right-click your internet connection, and click "Properties". From there, click the "Advanced" tab and all options for internet sharing are listed there. Ensure that you enable it for the wireless network connection. :)

OSUKid7
10-28-2004, 05:03 AM
Actually, it sounds like algae has a wireless router, so he won't need to share the connection in XP.

The problem I usually have (had it last week with my new iPaq hx4705) is with the Work vs. The Internet/My ISP settings in Connection Settings.

Start > Settings > Connections > Connections > Advanced > Select Networks. Make sure both are set to The Internet or My ISP. I've had some luck with telling Work/My Work Network that it connects to the Internet, but most of the time, that checkbox reverts when I hit OK.

If that doesn't work, let us know if you can access your network/networked computers, and not the Internet, or neither one.

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 05:08 AM
Actually, it sounds like algae has a wireless router, so he won't need to share the connection in XP.

That's the irony of it all. I initially thought that too, but I've seen some strange stuff before in that only enabling the sharing will get it to work as sometimes, the router isn't configured properly or there's just some stuff-up somewhere in the configuration of the entire network...well this is in odd cases anyway - it's all just a precautionary measure. ;) I've managed many networks before and sometimes, the most silliest things seem to be the remedy. :silly:

It may also help to ensure that there aren't any firewalls causing chaos with the IP addresses. That's also a common issue.

algae
10-28-2004, 05:49 AM
I figured it out...I hope:) I could also see my next door neighbour's network which is completely open so I tried surfing on it and it worked. So I knew it was related to my network setup. I chose another WEP key on my own network (after calling him to let him know) and it worked. Not sure what the difference is though.
Thanks for replying.
Gary

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 09:30 AM
I chose another WEP key on my own network (after calling him to let him know) and it worked. Not sure what the difference is though.
Thanks for replying.
Gary

The problem probably had to do with an incorrect preconfiguration of the WEP key in the wireless network. While at times, it appears to be "connected", if you do not have the right WEP key for access, it stops you in your tracks, so to speak. ;)