View Full Version : HELP !!!.....deleted contacts lost.....

dibbs26
10-27-2004, 09:27 PM
I have just sync'd my ppc and laptop. The ppc had 367 entries the laptop had about 300. I deleted all these on the laptop because I no longer wanted them in outlook contacts and somehow both the ppc and laptop now don't have any at all!!!. I have tried to go into deleted items but they are not there. This is my own pc and I have even tried to find recover deleted items in the tool bar but its not there !!!!!
can anybody help please ?

cheers
:(

Deus
10-27-2004, 10:37 PM
have you ever backed up your Pocket PC? Do you have an old backup file? You can retrieve some of them this way.

Not sure how important they are but do you have XP and is system restore turned on? Does anyone know if system restore would bring these back?

Just brainstorming

Steven Cedrone
10-28-2004, 01:13 AM
You went into deleted items on the laptop and there was nothing there? Did you empty your deleted items folder? If you have more that one email account in Outlook, make sure you are looking in the correct deleted items folder...

Steve

jimski
10-28-2004, 03:54 AM
Please don't say you have never backed up your "outlook.pst: folder 8O

dibbs26
10-28-2004, 07:08 AM
I did empty the deleted items folder but I thought that the info left of the ppc would then be sync'd over, I never thought the blank info on the laptop would replace the info on the ppc if you see what i mean........
any help appreciated..... :(

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 07:15 AM
I really believe you're looking at a lose-lose situation here unfortunately, unless:

(1) You have a recent backup of the .PST file used by Outlook on your computer. If you do, you can restore the contacts from this file.

(2) You have a backup of your PIM information on your Pocket PC. Again, if you do, you can restore the PIM information.

(3) As Outlook stores all of its information on a PST file, you can only hope that your original one is still retained in the hard disk. Chances are however, that this has already been overwritten, so chances of recovering this deleted file are very minimal.

BudPritchard
10-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Bummer to lose data! 8O

Go get Sprite Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite_backup.html)

I consider this product an essential app to have. Plus you can backup to your laptop or desktop in addition to a storage card.

There is a backup included with the PPC. However, Sprite does so much more!!!! 8) You can make the backup an executable so that you don't have to install Sprite after a hard reset.

I backup every day to storage card and every time after finishing daily syncs. And the backup files are also on my DVD backup media.

I always backup to storage card and PC before I install new software. In case the new software really screws up the PPC, I can recover quickly.

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Bummer to lose data! 8O

Go get Sprite Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite_backup.html)

Good recommendation. :way to go:

However, dibbs26, according to your signature, you own an h4150 right? You should see a shortcut for iPAQ Backup which operates on the same technology used by Sprite Backup. If you're not looking to paying extra for an upgrade, the version you have there still provides the basic functionality required for a local backup and restore.

dibbs26
10-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the help guys :D . I have just go this ipaq off a company in england and they actually transfered the data from my old psion 5mx to the ppc. I called them today and they said they may have the'outlook.pst' file from when they originally moved the info over.
If they have emailed it to me when i get home, whats the best way of recovering the info first back into outlook ?

cheers :?

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys :D . I have just go this ipaq off a company in england and they actually transfered the data from my old psion 5mx to the ppc. I called them today and they said they may have the'outlook.pst' file from when they originally moved the info over.
If they have emailed it to me when i get home, whats the best way of recovering the info first back into outlook ?

cheers :?

In Outlook, click File > Import and Export.
From there, select "Import from another program or file", and click Next. Then select "Personal Folder File (.pst)", then select the .PST file you wish to import, and select the relevant radio button that applies to your situation. From then on, the instructions they provide are pretty much self-explanatory. :D

dibbs26
10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Cheers dj it worked a treat...thank god the company had the all the info backed up. Do you know how i back this info up on the laptop...just in case...

ta

BudPritchard
10-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Cheers dj it worked a treat...thank god the company had the all the info backed up. Do you know how i back this info up on the laptop...just in case...

ta

See this... (http://bmrl.wustl.edu/backupoutlook.html)

Or google on "backup outlook" and you get a bunch of hits on solutions.

ctmagnus
10-29-2004, 12:17 AM
I use Freebyte Backup (http://freebyte.com/fbbackup/) for stuff like this. I set it to copy the folder containg my .pst files as well as My Documents, Favorites and the Two Peaks programs I use that don't make use of the Pocket PC My Documents folder. I just click the icon, switch to the Action tab and click start, and all those folders are backed up automatically.

Steven Cedrone
10-29-2004, 02:28 AM
Take a look at this as well:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en

Steve