View Full Version : New PPCs are nice, but do we need to upgrade?

upplepop
10-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Not too long ago I put down my $500 for a Axim X50v and it should be coming in a few weeks. Yeah, it is a bit expensive. Yeah, I could buy a cheap laptop for just a bit more... but I figured it is about time to upgrade from my Axim X5.

It seems to be quite the upgrade. I am more than doubling the CPU (I have the 300MHz model), double the RAM and ROM, moving up a few OS versions (I'm still using 2002), VGA, graphics accelerator, larger screen, smaller size, Bluetooth, WiFi... wowee! :drool:

But... do I really need it?

I've started thinking about what I use my PDA for, and I don't think that my PDA experience will be that much more improved after buying the X50v. I mean, take a look at what I do with my PPC:

PIM Functions: Stuff like contacts, calendar, tasks, eWallet, tracking bank accounts, etc. are going to be pretty much the same no matter how good your PPC is. That stuff really doesn't need much power to run.

eBooks: Well, a big VGA screen may make reading eBooks a bit better, but not that much. I'm doing just fine with my X5.

Games: I'll admit, I would really like to be able to play SNES games on my PPC, but the controls on PDAs simply are not made to play games that rely on heavy use of the joypad & buttons. Besides, IMHO the best games for the PDA are those simple little games (Bejeweled, Solitare, Chess, Snails, etc.) that can be played for a few minutes while you are standing in line, traveling, or whatever. When I want to do some serious gaming, I'll go to my powerful desktop computer with the graphics card and large monitor. Besides, even some of the more graphic-intensive PPC games like Age of Empries and Sim City play fine on my PPC (although it doesn't handle some of the new 3D games like Anthelion or Interstellar Flames)

Media: I am able to play mp3s just fine. And video files are playable after converting them with PocketDivXEncoder (http://divx.ppccool.com). Video quality is not very important with I'm viewing it on a 3.5" screen.

Internet: This is where my PPC really struggles. It doesn't have WiFi and it renders websites very slowly. At first I was excited about getting WiFi; now I can sit on my couch and surf the net! However, due to limitiation of PIE and the screen size, I don't really see the PPC as being terribly useful beyond visiting news sites and, of course, PocketPCThoughts! AvantGo handles the retrieval of most of the Internet information that I need (news, movie times, TV listings, weather, etc.) and it doesn't require a WiFi connection. Any heavy surfing I do (multiple windows, downloading files, saving web pages) I shudder thinking about doing on a PDA. Again, I'll just use my desktop PC.

Bluetooth: I don't use Bluetooth. My old cell phone makes calls just as good as your fancy Bluetooth-enabled phone. I never really understood people's facination with ring-tones, color screens, crappy integraded cameras, Internet access, and games--that's what my PDA is for! Also, it's no big deal cradling my PPC to sync it.

VGA: Those new screens look nice. I played around with the iPaq hx4700 at the local CompUSA and that screen was jaw-droppingly beautiful. However, they don't add much in terms of functionality. Web-surfing may be easier, but I don't do much of that. Also, Microsoft is simply not taking advantage of VGA in their software.

RAM: I install almost all of my applications to my SD card. I've been getting along just fine with 32MB. I occasionally get programs that say I don't have enough memory, but I simply close everything with Dell's Switcher Bar utility and I'm good to go.

So while the new PPCs are nice, I don't believe they offer much more over my current device in terms of functionality. I am seriously considering cancelling the X50v order and buying a new X5 battery instead (it doesn't last as long as it used to!).

I would love to get others' opinion on this. For those of you who are getting a new device, will it be able to do a lot more than your current device? Am I not considering all of the advantages of upgrading? Am I just a loser who is not taking full advantage of my PDA :)?

Jacob
10-27-2004, 07:19 PM
I had my 1910 for about a year and then the 4155 came out.

I held off for quite a while, but then realized that WiFi was a great thing since there is a wireless network at work and I might set one up at home.

It's also has been worth it for the speed.

Did I NEED this upgrade? No, but it was a good upgrade.

It's tough to separate need from just want, isn't it?

If you're doing fine with your old device I'd say keep it and save your money.

Or you can just give in to new device lust. ;)

bigkingfun
10-27-2004, 07:26 PM
I currently use an iPAQ 4150 and feel much the same way about the new models. While some of the features would be nice, there's nothing that I can't currently do just fine.

The one feature on my 4150 that I get a lot of use out of is the wifi. I don't use it for surfing the web for pretty much the reasons listed above, but it's extremely useful for checking my email anywhere I can get wifi access. Email is relatively low bandwidth, so the speed is just fine, and being mostly text-based, the small screen works just fine.

If I were to look at any new unit, wifi would be a must.

Kati Compton
10-27-2004, 07:28 PM
PIM Functions: Stuff like contacts, calendar, tasks, eWallet, tracking bank accounts, etc. are going to be pretty much the same no matter how good your PPC is. That stuff really doesn't need much power to run.
My latest whine is that VGA will let me see more of my infinitely-long task list, which is both a good and a bad thing. ;)

eBooks: Well, a big VGA screen may make reading eBooks a bit better, but not that much. I'm doing just fine with my X5.
I'm not so sure on this one - I think it'll be pretty nice in VGA. Plus, you'll be able to use smaller fonts more comfortably, and so fit more text onto the screen. That's been the main thing keeping me from reading eBooks - I like more on the screen at a time, and auto-scrolling makes me dizzy. :silly:

Media: I am able to play mp3s just fine. And video files are playable after converting them with PocketDivXEncoder (http://divx.ppccool.com). Video quality is not very important with I'm viewing it on a 3.5" screen.
But you'll be watching on a 3.*7*" screen now! :P Yeah - I'm not sure that this matters all that much for now. Not until storage and battery life catch up a bit, anyway.

VGA: Those new screens look nice. I played around with the iPaq hx4700 at the local CompUSA and that screen was jaw-droppingly beautiful. However, they don't add much in terms of functionality. Web-surfing may be easier, but I don't do much of that. Also, Microsoft is simply not taking advantage of VGA in their software.
I agree that the MS stuff isn't using VGA to its true advantage. But I think a number of programs do, like Pocket Informant, Pocket Breeze, I think some ebook readers & Repligo...

So while the new PPCs are nice, I don't believe they offer much more over my current device in terms of functionality. I am seriously considering cancelling the X50v order and buying a new X5 battery instead (it doesn't last as long as it used to!).

I would love to get others' opinion on this. For those of you who are getting a new device, will it be able to do a lot more than your current device? Am I not considering all of the advantages of upgrading? Am I just a loser who is not taking full advantage of my PDA :)?

I'm doing the X5->x50v upgrade as well. I want VGA - I've always felt that the resolution is confining on PDAs. Screen size too, which is why I *wanted* 4", but for various reasons am not getting it. I want my PDA to be more useful day-to-day, which I think it will be. But I won't know for sure until I get it, as I haven't had a VGA device before. ;)

thebixman
10-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Talk about hitting the nail on the head. The dazzle of the new devices doesn't really warrant 500$ from people already satisfied with their current models. Nobody buys a new car every year either...

Ripper014
10-28-2004, 01:37 AM
I have to disagree... this is a major upgrade... to VGA... None of the machines that are currently out are perfect and in my opinion only a few are close... I would have expected more than what has arrived since Toshiba was willing to be the sacrificial lamb with the e800 and offered a model for the others to build off of.

The additional ram (128mb) will help me since I do have some software that I believe belongs on the unit itself... such as Agenda Fusion. More POWER is always nice... and Bluetooth and Wifi onboard are welcome touches... no more need to carry additional cards... as are dual card slots (flexibility is always great, options options options... love it).

Going to the next generation of devices is like going from a Corolla to a Lexus... we are getting there... but we have a ways to go before we get to a Mercedes... and in order to get there we need Microsoft to do a better job with the OS.

I also feel that the manufacturers need to do a better job of understanding what the community wants... whoever they are using for a focus group... do not seem to know to much about PPC Users...

In my mind the Asus a730W is close... but I will wait to see how the early adopters do... and the Toshiba e830 is at a price point that I am finding hard to ignore. I know that I will be moving to a new unit... the question is which... as much as I do like my Hp2200... the alure of a VGA screen is more than I can handle.