View Full Version : Paul Thurrott on Windows Mobile 2005

Philip Colmer
10-27-2004, 10:08 AM
I get the regular email newsletter that Paul writes for the Windows IT Pro magazine. The latest edition has a short but positive look at the Dell X50, criticism of the fact that Microsoft have not upgraded any of their applications to take advantage of landscape & VGA displays in 2003 SE, plus a bit of info about the proposed OS release next year.

Since the newsletter is public, I don't think there will be an issue in quoting from it:

On the good news front, I'm hearing rumors that the next version of Windows Mobile--allegedly to be named Windows Mobile 2005 and code-named Magneto--will solve some of these problems. The OS will supposedly feature an embedded Microsoft SQL Server-based database, Direct3D-type graphics capabilities and, perhaps most important, major updates to the Pocket applications. It's about time.

Sadly, Windows Mobile 2005 won't ship until next summer, I'm told, and will likely suffer from the most bone-headed decision Microsoft ever made about its Pocket PC software updates: It will permit its hardware partners to distribute only major Pocket PC updates to customers, and often those partners simply choose not to, leaving existing customers in the lurch. For both Microsoft and its partners, I'm sure the matter involves the cost of supporting such updates, but with Pocket PCs quickly encroaching on the performance and capabilities of PCs, I think it's time to revise this strategy.

In short, the Axim X50v is the best Pocket PC you can buy, and it's hobbled only by Microsoft's weak software selection. Come on, Microsoft, it's time for you to stop being the bottleneck that prevents your mobile platform from succeeding. Your partners are up to the task. Are you?

It will be interesting to see what happens next year but I think we are starting to see the trend now and will probably have to buy new hardware in order to get the new OS :evil:

--Philip

Deus
10-27-2004, 04:29 PM
I think its really important for we the conumers to do what we can to keep this (buying new hardware just for upgrades) from happening. If you really think about it, its extremely ridiculous. What if you had to buy a new dexktop or laptop for a new OS?

Its good to see that MS will finally be upgrading Pocket Excel and Pocket Word in the upcoming OS. I think both applications should have been revamped with each OS release. Consumers have been dishing out good money for Pocket PCs yet getting little to no updates on ROM included softare like MSExcel.

Hopefully sun shines in the horizon.

rzanology
10-27-2004, 06:54 PM
oh yea? no one said anything about it when Apple did it. Neither is anyone saying anything about now that apple is still doing it!!!!

sucks though....even though im use to buying a new ppc every year....it would be nice to know that i wasn't FORCED! to.

horseflesh
10-27-2004, 08:48 PM
The Apple comparison isn't even fair. OK, if you have a years-old beige G3 you can't run the latest versions of OS X... Big deal. It isn't like PPC manufacturers refusing to support gadgets that are a few months old.

rzanology
10-28-2004, 07:24 AM
mmmmmmmhuh....tell that to people with 1st generation icrap....i mean ipod.

ChristopherTD
10-28-2004, 08:19 AM
mmmmmmmhuh....tell that to people with 1st generation icrap....i mean ipod.

What is the comparison here? The iPod plays music. A 1st generation iPod still plays music, though it lacks some of support for newer formats (it doesn't have the horsepower to process the lossless compression). Apple have released numerous firmware updates for it, and belatedly, a replacement battery service.

They have chosen not to make some of the newer features available on older devices, but it still does what it was purchased for - play music.

I had a Rio Mp3 player that never worked reliably and it was never blessed with any firmware fixes even though it was demonstrably faulty. That annoyed me.

To my mind handheld devices should be supported by a manufacturer at least to the extent of making it work properly. Rolling OS Upgrades are a bonus.

rzanology
10-28-2004, 09:32 AM
ipod still plays music huh...as does the ppc still remind you of your appointments even on an old OS...and jut like apple dell and hp do update things on their ppcs. Thats the comparison!

im not saying that its right for them not to release the upgrades...what i am saying is why do people make such a stink about it...apple been doing it for years!!!

Phillip Dyson
10-28-2004, 06:42 PM
All the talk about WM2005 being available next summer makes me nervous about purchasing MM2003SE device.

Personally I wonder if WM2005 will have native security support. Another question is whether M$ will add something that will give OEMs and excuse to say new hardware is required. I'm sure we all remember the days of the Wintel empire.

Bigger processor means we can make a bigger OS means the customer will need a bigger processor. The circle of exploitation.

If M$ can help the OEMs sell devices (which is where their profit comes from) then the OEMs will happily peddle M$ products.

That being said, perhaps, barring actual hardware requirements, perhaps it is more likely that OEMs will provide an upgrade to WM2005 than they were to WM2003SE. Since the "perceived" benefits to SE were so small for the potential support headache it would have caused.

In short ... :frusty:
I have no clue whats going to happen.

Deus
10-28-2004, 07:08 PM
ipod still plays music huh...as does the ppc still remind you of your appointments even on an old OS...and jut like apple dell and hp do update things on their ppcs. Thats the comparison!

im not saying that its right for them not to release the upgrades...what i am saying is why do people make such a stink about it...apple been doing it for years!!!

Oh yeaaahhh. So that makes it right? Come on now. The reason Apple has gotten away with it and other vendors are doing it. Is because people don't stand up enough. People should be making a stink about it. The people who make the stinks make the differences.(that sounds hilarious) I am not saying that this would get them to change policy. Its more likely that they would not find it as profitable if then didn't force this hardware for software upgrade and then would exit the market. Either way we may be screwed. I'm not sure on the numbers which would determine this. :\

ChristopherTD
10-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Exactly what should we be standing up for?

I bought a device to play music - it plays music. Newer models have new features but my device still works!

My Rio on the other hand never worked properly. I voted with my pocket and won't buy from them again.

Deus
10-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Music players are designed to play music. Once you buy one it will always play music. When you buy a POcket PC for business applications and then the business applications get updated every 9 -12 months you loose out on the opportunity of getting functionality that you need unless you spend an additional $500. I wouldn't mind every 3 years but it just feels like they are forcing the hardware upgrade intentionally.

Someone once said to me that al these big companies have the devices of 10 years from now already developed and make subdevices to build up to them for profit. hmmmmm a little off topic but

ChristopherTD
10-28-2004, 07:59 PM
I agree that the recent non-upgrades to Pocket PCs are bothersome, especially when the desired features could be applied to older PPCs.

I fear as Pocket PCs (and even "real" PCs) become more of a commodity they will become replacable rather than upgradable, rather like a fridge. You buy it for what it can do at the time you buy it. A worrying trend.

Darius Wey
10-29-2004, 04:08 AM
I fear as Pocket PCs (and even "real" PCs) become more of a commodity they will become replacable rather than upgradable, rather like a fridge. You buy it for what it can do at the time you buy it. A worrying trend.

Sounds like Jonathon's disposable Palm. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26437) ;)