View Full Version : Slideshow presentations with the X50v

G M Fude
10-26-2004, 10:22 AM
On page 28 of the user manual, Dell refers to the connection of their new PDA to a projector -- presumably an LCD data projector -- with a VGA cable. There were three notes on this capability:
1. The VGA option is only available with the VGA model of the device (not sure why they didn't just say "with the X50v" and be done with it);
2. The VGA cable will not ship with your device unless you order it;
3. You need to install the Viewer program for the device to detect the projector... (their bolding).

This sounds like a pretty neat alternative to the impressive but expensive Margi add-on unit. Especially for a geek like me who gives lots of PowerPoint presentations but suffers lugging around a 4 year old Dell laptop that, by the third airport, feels like it's coal-powered.

Do any other PDAs offer this presentation feature, that is, plugging in a simple cable rather than buying an add-on like a Margi Presenter-to-Go (http://www.margi.com/products/prod_ptg.htm) or Portsmith Pitch (http://www.mobl.com/handheld/presentation/)?

Darius Wey
10-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Nope. I believe the X50v is the only one to have a VGA output at this stage. If it's successful however, I'm sure you will see many more VGA-port enabled Pocket PCs explode into the market.

G M Fude
10-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks DJ. I'm glad I downloaded the manual. That 'simple' feature would make it a no-brainer for me in choosing between the iPaq 4705 and the X50v; the Axim wins hands-down.

jrc50
10-26-2004, 05:50 PM
I assume what you are talking about is the Presentation Package Option. I have not been able to find any detailed description on Dell's website of what it is and when I called Dell, I got a real cloudy answer from a far distant phone operator.
Anybody have more specifics on this, like contents? I would assume the VGA cable, some sort of software, ? I did not order mine with it but I do not see it as an add-later option-does it have to come with the unit?
I agree with the writers, it sure would be nice not to have to drag around a laptop for running a projector!

G M Fude
10-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Excellent, jrc! Here's what we're gonna do: you change your X50v order to include the Presentation Package Option, then you can write a review for all of us when it arrives! :)

From the scatty reference in the owners manual, most of which I quoted above, I guess it includes just the cable (which presumably is nothing special, just a VGA cable with the appropriate Axim adapter at one end) and this "Viewer" software, which apparently automatically recognises the particular LCD data projector.

jrc50
10-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Well that sure clears it up. Even with using 2 coupons and ordering the x50v on one and the accessories (Dell Bluetooth GPS and big spare battery) on another it was more than I preferred to spend to replace my old Compaq 3630 (whose internal battery dies a little more each day).
I left off the presentation pak, sounded more like a bell than a whistle in the mostly nonEnglish description given me. Perhaps we could take up a collection for me to add it, although with a ship date of 11/23 I am concerned a change would put it out to 12/23.
Any idea which type of projectors it works with? (I am sure Dell of course) - I end up using a lot of customer's units when I do not have mine with me.

G M Fude
10-28-2004, 11:09 AM
I left off the presentation pak, sounded more like a bell than a whistle in the mostly nonEnglish description given me. Perhaps we could take up a collection for me to add it, although with a ship date of 11/23 I am concerned a change would put it out to 12/23.
Any idea which type of projectors it works with? (I am sure Dell of course) - I end up using a lot of customer's units when I do not have mine with me.
Didn't think you'd be keen on my idea, jrc. :(

I have no idea what projectors it will work with. However, I do a lot of presentations with borrowed projectors in faraway places -- e.g. a two-week seven-venue tour of China in July. My experience with a laptop is that the bad old days of spending a teeth-gnashing hour trying to get the bloody computer to work with the bloody projector are gone. I've not had an instance of this happening since a drama with an old clunker in Taiwan more than two years ago.

So what I'm saying is that most modern projectors appear to plug-n-play very nicely with computers (my laptop is a 4-year-old Dell Inspiron, so State of the Art it ain't). Does this extend to PDAs? Dunno; I would take a gamble and say it does, but we're really at the bleeding edge, right now.

jrc50
10-29-2004, 01:35 AM
Well I agree it sounds like a good idea putting all the presentation stuff on flash memory cards, and I may get one anyway. Unfortunatly Dell has sent me two delivery delay notices on the x50v so I really have no clue now when it is coming in.
I think once I get the rest of the bluetooth and GPS stuff figured out I will go to the next step. Perhaps by then Dell will be offering English descriptions of what it is.

G M Fude
10-30-2004, 02:37 AM
The whole projector connection issue is moot if you're an Aussie, anyway. I see the X50v has just popped up on the Australian website (http://dellstore03.dell.com.au/public/cart/configurator.jsp?prd_id=284669&sr_no=4) and isn't being offered with the VGA connection cable as an option.

Gee, thanks Dell. No sale, then.

I note that the BT keyboard is not being offered as an accessory either, as it was with the Axim 30s up until about two days ago.

BTW, our price Downunder is $850. At the current exchange rate of about 0.75, that's roughly US$635. Ouch.

Darius Wey
10-30-2004, 03:39 AM
The whole projector connection issue is moot if you're an Aussie, anyway. I see the X50v has just popped up on the Australian website (http://dellstore03.dell.com.au/public/cart/configurator.jsp?prd_id=284669&sr_no=4) and isn't being offered with the VGA connection cable as an option.

That is a bit of an odd one. Have you tried calling the Dell sales team and asking them why it's not listed as an option?

G M Fude
10-30-2004, 05:24 AM
That is a bit of an odd one. Have you tried calling the Dell sales team and asking them why it's not listed as an option?
I might do that Monday. I'm still getting over how much more we have to pay for the same device than the Americans. These things are made in Malaysia, aren't they? I would have thought that shipping... oh never mind. That's the way it is I suppose. I bought a Casio watch in Hong Kong (genuine, not a knock off) for $170 two weeks ago and the best price I could find in Melbourne was $400. Local retailers must see us coming, or something.

Darius Wey
10-30-2004, 05:46 AM
I might do that Monday. I'm still getting over how much more we have to pay for the same device than the Americans. These things are made in Malaysia, aren't they? I would have thought that shipping... oh never mind. That's the way it is I suppose. I bought a Casio watch in Hong Kong (genuine, not a knock off) for $170 two weeks ago and the best price I could find in Melbourne was $400. Local retailers must see us coming, or something.

Haha. :lol: Indeed they are pricey here, and they are shipped from Malaysia too. But then, if you go to Dell Malaysia, the prices aren't THAT much cheaper than what is offered here (well, they only have the X30 but I'm comparing the X30 now). On a more positive scope, at least the X50 is still cheaper than the E800 here in Australia (although I've found some decent deals recently). Don't forget...you can still bargain the price down with Dell if you order over the phone. :P

jrc50
10-31-2004, 01:16 AM
Well, that does seem kind of odd since you folks are closer to the real manufacturer. Wait a minute, I have an idea, you could emigrate-after all this is really not a bad place to live despite our terrible publicity in the world and so many of our citizens have moved to Australia over the years, it is time we got some back!
Just kidding of course, it is not only the English that have a bit of wit. We had a chance to visit Australia several years ago, some time in Sydney then a week off the Great Barrier Reef, our kids continue to talk about going back.

G M Fude
10-31-2004, 07:24 AM
Hey, the USA's a great place. I work for an American-owned company and would happily live there if the government sorted out the gun control problems (never likely to happen, though).

On the plus side for us Aussies, the Dell .au site lists the spare 1100mAh battery at AUS$14, while in the States it will cost you AUS$65 (I've converted for the sake of the comparison). I wonder how they set their prices at Dell. Dartboard?

Swap you a spare battery for the Projector Bundle? :)

jrc50
10-31-2004, 06:31 PM
Well I did order the spare battery, but the 2200 one (bigger, I guess). Figured if I used it as much as I hope to, I would need it. Plus the battery issue is the main reason I am retiring my old IPAQ 3600.
Just bought a 1GB SD card for the spare slot in this thing ($65 US). Trying to get a good deal on a 4GB CF card or microdrive someplace for the main slot -want to use this for storing most of the US for the bluetooth GPS. It is the only good thing about Dell taking their time about shipping this, gives you more time to shop around. Flash memory prices are dropping like a stone over here, its amazing how cheap they are versus 6 months ago.

jrc50
11-03-2004, 03:15 AM
Dell finally posted the x50v Presentation Package as a detailed accessory on their site. It is a VGA cable and Westek Clearvue Suite software for $79.00, same price as if it was bought with unit. So it looks like using a flash card for memory most of us doing customer presentations like I had to today could save 7 pounds or so of luggage by dumping the laptop! :lol:

G M Fude
11-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Hmmm... not to mention the undeniable geek factor of giving a presentation from something you pulled out of your shirt pocket! Methinks that would set jaws dropping around the table...

Ah, the joy of not having to pull my laptop out of its bag every time I pass through an airport security scanner. That has to be worth $80. The VGA cable would probably make a bigger bundle than the PDA; but together maybe a twentieth the weight of a laptop.

Thanks for the heads up on the package, jrc. Still not a peep about it on the Oz Dell site, I must give them a call -- when I find enough time to scratch myself. I'd like to know where the BT keyboards vanished to as well; Dell had them at a great price locally (IIRC about US$80). Maybe it was a teaser to get rid of some X30s.

Sven Johannsen
11-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Shame they don't just sell the cable. I've had Clearvue for quite some time. I do notice a significant ommision in the description though. All the current external projector/monitor options include some sort of 'mirror' software where you can just project the PPC screen, i.e whatever is running. The Dell writeup doesn't mention such a capability, just the Clearvue output.

Guess I'll wait till there is a review, to see if that capability actually exists. Until then the Colorgraphic Voyager should work fine. Guess I should go look for WM2003SE VGA drivers.

igreen
11-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Mirroring capability is built into the ROM of the X50v....that is, it is an embedded application. The Clearvue Viewers in the Presentation Pack have been modified to take advantage of the 2700G.

Sven Johannsen
11-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Mirroring capability is built into the ROM of the X50v....that is, it is an embedded application. The Clearvue Viewers in the Presentation Pack have been modified to take advantage of the 2700G.

Ah, then I should just get one of these. Probably show up before my X50 :( Now, wouldn't it be cool to use a smartphone over BT to control the presentation while viewing the speaker notes on the phone ;)

G M Fude
11-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Just a follow up on this thread from a Downunder perspective. I spoke with my Dell Australia representative by phone today (I think in Mumbai or Calcutta; sure didn't sound like Sydney or Melbourne).

The Presentation bundle is NOT available in Australia.

Then I started to squeeze them on price. Sorry Mr Smith, but the price advertised on the web site is "rock bottom" (their words).

Now, I'm pretty good at haggling -- or I thought I was. I won't say that I have Hong Kong shop keepers pulling their shutters down when they see me approaching (been there 5 times so far this year so I should be getting a reputation!). But I usually walk away satisfied.

Not so with Dell. They would not budge a cent.

So. No sale. I can get a HP 4705 in Hong Kong for less than the X50v, after 'negotiating'. There we go, end of story I guess.