View Full Version : How do microdrives compare?

xdev
10-25-2004, 11:14 PM
I remember a while back someone did a benchmark o a whole load of different cf cards, and the original (that was the only one available at that time) ibm microdrive was a lot faster than any other CF memory card. Now that we are seeing 60x cf solid state cards, how does the new microdrive compare? and has anyone benchmarked the seagate drive against the hitachi? What about battery life? Which microdrive is better? How much more does a microdrive affect your ppc's battery life than a solid state card? are they really as 'fragile" and as "unreliable as they are made out to be?
I think its time someone answered all these questions.

jrc50
10-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Well this is really the same question I have. I ordered a Dell x50v and need to buy some memory for this 2 slot beast, but what to buy? I prefer expanding the CF Card use as I have other devices using this already, but will probably purchase a decent SD card (1GB) so I have some use of the slot and SD is getting cheaper.
My real question is I have ordered unit with Dell Bluetooth GPS, so main function of CF slot will be to store U.S. map loaded from CD's. I assume (no way to tell yet from Dell) that I will need at least 2 GB or more as I do not want to be loading maps repeatedly and I travel the U.S.
What is better and more reliable, a CF card (basic, not high speed) or a Microdrive? Prices on both are crashing as memory is a commodity now, but hate to waste money.

Kati Compton
10-27-2004, 03:06 PM
If you can afford it, or the price is close, get the flash memory instead of a drive. No moving parts == more reliable, less power drain.

jrc50
10-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Makes sense, thanks :lol: