View Full Version : Compaq iPAQ 3950 - PC 2002

Kanibus
10-25-2004, 02:07 AM
Compaq iPAQ Pocket Pc
Version 3.0.11171 (Build 11178)
Processor: Intel PXA250
64MB
Compaq v. 1.11
Well I currently rcvd. an ipaq from a friend and was messing around with it. He gave me this expansion pack that has a slot for a wireless card and an extra battery. Well the ipaq wouldnt recognize the expansion pack nor charge it. So i did a lil research on the net and found something about hard resetting. Well i did that and now have like a first version of PC 2002 which is bare and stripped. I have the latest active sync. on my comp but it doesnt recognize my pda when in the cradle. How do i update the pda with a new active sync and where can it be downloaded from. Maybe this would be resolved with the companion cd but my friend lost it.

Janak Parekh
10-25-2004, 03:24 AM
You shouldn't have to "update" ActiveSync on the Pocket PC -- older Pocket PCs work fine with newer versions of ActiveSync on the desktop. What happens when you try and cradle the Pocket PC?

--janak

Kanibus
10-25-2004, 03:33 AM
Nothing happens. The ppc stays at home screen and the desktop shows not connected with details lit. Everything else is not clickable like Sync,Stop,Explore,Opt.s. I even tried opening the ppc through ms explore but nothing shows up. So i just assumed the ppc's active sync need to be updated.

Darius Wey
10-25-2004, 04:44 AM
Do you have a software firewall installed? Often is the case that the software firewall can have an effect on the incoming and outgoing behaviour of ActiveSync.

Kanibus
10-25-2004, 04:59 AM
No third party firewall just microsoft sp2 protection center which has active sync as an exception. I did turn it off and still no connection.

Darius Wey
10-25-2004, 05:07 AM
Another option you could try is to uninstall ActiveSync on your PC and try reinstalling it again. While it seems a little stupid, in rare cases, this has been known to solve some synchronisation problems.

yankeejeep
10-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Take a second and quickly check the connections that ActiveSync searches under File...Connection Settings. AS doesn't always turn on all available connections when it is installed, the most consistent overisght being the USB port.

Kanibus
10-26-2004, 06:40 AM
"Another option you could try is to uninstall ActiveSync on your PC and try reinstalling it again. While it seems a little stupid, in rare cases, this has been known to solve some synchronisation problems."

Did try that - twice. Still nothing.

"Take a second and quickly check the connections that ActiveSync searches under File...Connection Settings. AS doesn't always turn on all available connections when it is installed, the most consistent overisght being the USB port."

Yup tried that too, even the "get connected". Still nothing.

NOTE: I even tried to connect through the active sync on the ppc, when I click sync i get the response of: No Partnerships - You must establish a partnership with a PC before you can synchronize information.

:?

Darius Wey
10-26-2004, 07:06 AM
Have you tried the Compaq website to see if there are any updated ROMs? Sometimes, a ROM upgrade may fix the problem. I'd ask you to hard-reset but you have already done that, and a ROM upgrade will essentially do the same thing anyway. See if that works. ;)

Kanibus
10-27-2004, 05:40 AM
Have you tried the Compaq website to see if there are any updated ROMs? Sometimes, a ROM upgrade may fix the problem. I'd ask you to hard-reset but you have already done that, and a ROM upgrade will essentially do the same thing anyway. See if that works.

How can I do this if the computer doesnt recognize the pda?

Darius Wey
10-27-2004, 06:55 AM
How can I do this if the computer doesnt recognize the pda?

There is a way around this. I don't have it on hand at the moment. I'll dig it up tonight, and post it once I find it. 8)

Darius Wey
10-27-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm still in the process of finding this...(can't remember where I had it... :bangin: )

Anyway, before I take this one step further, can I ask how your cradle is connected to your PC? Is it through a direct USB connection or have you plugged it into a USB hub?

Another thing...do you have another computer available to see if you can establish a connection? It doesn't have to be a standard partnership with ActiveSync; a guest partnership will do.

I'm trying to see if this problem is only localised to the computer you are using, or if the same problem occurs on all computers. That way, perhaps we can localise the problem to either (1) your PC, or (2) your Pocket PC.

Kanibus
10-27-2004, 08:17 PM
I'm still in the process of finding this...(can't remember where I had it... :bangin: )

Anyway, before I take this one step further, can I ask how your cradle is connected to your PC? Is it through a direct USB connection or have you plugged it into a USB hub?

Another thing...do you have another computer available to see if you can establish a connection? It doesn't have to be a standard partnership with ActiveSync; a guest partnership will do.

I'm trying to see if this problem is only localised to the computer you are using, or if the same problem occurs on all computers. That way, perhaps we can localise the problem to either (1) your PC, or (2) your Pocket PC.

I have tried this on three different computers... my primary desktop - windows xp pro, my laptop - windows xp home, and my work comp - windows 98 se .... all have the same response. It installs a device driver but when i click the handheld icon on "my computer" nothing is in the folder. Also, the active sync shows grey at bottom task bar with no partnership. Hope that helps. The only thing i can think of is that maybe the hard reset messed up the ROM casuing it not to no longer work properly. I have soft reset the ppc like two times when received, but was the first time it was ever hard reseted by anyone.

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 02:45 AM
The only thing i can think of is that maybe the hard reset messed up the ROM casuing it not to no longer work properly. I have soft reset the ppc like two times when received, but was the first time it was ever hard reseted by anyone.

Hmmm...this is a bit of an odd problem. It's very unlikely that a hard-reset would have caused a problem, unless there was a "flash-gone-wrong". :P

My first PDA had a buggy ROM once as well, and I was using it one day before it went "poof" and decided to die on me. My only suggestion at the moment (unless I think of something later down the track) would be to contact the Compaq/HP support staff and see if they know of this problem.

Kanibus
10-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Well i put an inquiry in the first time and they just told me to try stuff i had already tried. So that is why i came here. But just to be on the safe side i rewrote to them with detailed explanation and the steps i have already taken, so lets see what they say. I will post their response here if you are interested enough to read up on it. Thanks for all your help.

*() Kanibus ()*

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 09:52 AM
I will post their response here if you are interested enough to read up on it. Thanks for all your help.

*() Kanibus ()*

That would be great! :way to go:

Thanks Kanibus.