View Full Version : mobipocket won't find my ebooks

dMores
10-24-2004, 12:59 PM
i have installed mobipocket reader on my girlfriend's iMate pocket pc.

now, after copying a bunch of txt files to the ebook directory, they don't show up in the eDoc category.

i have to manually search for them and open them.

on my sonyericsson p900 smartphone, mobipocket automatically finds ebooks and displays them in the according category. no manual search and open necessary.

i even tried resetting the iMate, but the books remain hidden.

is mobipocket for ppc different to mobipocket for symbian UIQ devices ?

is there a"trick" to convince mobipocket to update the eDoc list when you open it up?

thanks, daniel

jasondearyou
10-24-2004, 03:13 PM
One solution to this problem could be to download the PC version of the mobipocket reader, witht he web companion, after that, it may ask you to set up your device.

When you open your PC mobipocket reader you will see the subjects of the books and then you will see send to PDA, thats where you click and select which device you want to send it to. After that it should show up on the PDA, or what have you.

Happy reading.

dMores
10-24-2004, 03:18 PM
hmm ... i transferred the txt files from my p900 to the iMate via bluetooth.

so if i understand correctly, you need the companion on the machine that syncs the iMate so mobipocket knows what's installed?

hmm ... tedious.

but thanks for the hint, will check it out.

azur
10-24-2004, 03:38 PM
mobipocket for Pocket pc does not list txt files in the library, you can only browse to view the file

if u have the files on desktop, u can drag and drop after you clicked the publish button on the mobipocket companion where u will then sync to the output file to ppc

side comment: on a ppc mobipocket scans the whole storage card for compatible ebooks (*.prc) while other devices are limited to the ebooks folder. Also u can limit the scan to just the ebooks folder through the settings menu

dMores
10-24-2004, 03:45 PM
no, i think the main point here is that mobipocket for ppc only lists .PRC or .PDB automatically, where mobipocket for symbian also lists .TXT files.

PRC will be shown in the eBooks category, while .txt and .pdb files show up in the eDocs category.

hpf
10-25-2004, 05:13 PM
PRC and PDB are not file types, but only containers for PalmOS (like ZIP or RAR can be on PC).

The Library eBooks section shows eBooks in Mobipocket format, while the eDocs section lists the Palm DOC format files (generally PDB extension), TXT and HTML files (on some platforms only).

If you wish the Library to display your TXT/HTML files, convert them into Mobipocket files using the Mobipocket Creator or the Publish function of the Mobipocket Web Companion on your PC.

Also note that the Library may not be refreshed on your PDA/Smartphone. To be sure you display your files, change to another section of the Library and go back to the initial section.

dMores
10-26-2004, 11:20 AM
thanks, i know about pdb containers.

i just noticed a different program behavior between ppc and uiq versions of the same software.

here's what mobipocket wrote:
Datum : 25/10/2004 21:30:06 - Von : Mobipocket Support : Nathalie

On the PocketPC, Txt files only appear when you Browse Files to open them. It is different from the UIQ platform.

i wish they'd release a mac version of the office companion software, since i use my mac 90% of the time.

but i think i'll give the office companion a try, since i have come to love mobipocket, and i find a lot of my books on the gutenberg project website.
well, some i find "elsewhere" ;)