View Full Version : Dell Axim X50/X50v/X30 Battery Life Tests

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 03:00 PM
<i><b>UPDATE:</b> I've updated my test results with some older test data I did for the X30 and X3i.</i><br /><br />Given Kati's post on Saturday, I figured I should publish the results of the battery tests that I've been working on. For all of the tests below, I set the backlight to "medium", which is four notches above being turned off. This is the setting that I used my X30 at in day to day scenarios, so it seemed like a fair place to start. I don't think anyone who is concerned about battery life would ever use their device at full brightness all the time. The CPU was set to AUTO for all these tests. Unless otherwise noted, these times are until the device shut off due to lack of power. Here are the test results...<br /> <!> <br /><b><span>Dell Axim X50v</span></b><br /><b>X50v, Standard Using: 3 hours and 38 minutes</b> - This Spb Benchmark test opens up File Explorer, then opens a Word document, and repeats that process over and over. This is meant to simulate an average PIM workload.<br /><br /><b>X50v, Active WiFi: 2 hours 10 minutes</b> - The standard Spb Benchmark WiFi test turns on the WiFi, but doesn't actually transfer any data, so to me this test isn't realistic. So what I did was create a <a href="http://www.thoughtsmedia.com/test/test.htm">test page</a> that had 35 KB worth of text on it and 65 KB worth of graphics. The page refreshes every 30 seconds - the goal here is to emulate an average Web surfing experience of downloading a page, reading it, then downloading another one. I should note that in this test, it was 2 hours and 10 minutes until the WiFi was turned off due to lack of power. It lasted another 59 minutes after that just remaining on with no data transfer. When I ran this test again, and overrode the automatic WiFi turn off, the device lasted a total of 3 hours and 38 minutes before it died.<br /><br /><b>X50v, Active WiFi: 2 hours 15 minutes</b> - As above, test #2. This test is difficult to get 100% accurate results for because the pop-up window that warns you WiFi is about to be turned off has no auditory warning, so it shuts off the WiFi silently (I'd love to see Dell add a beep). The I noticed WiFi was turned off at 2 hours 24 minutes, so I estimated when I saw it was last working successfully.<br /><br /><b>X50v, MP3 Playback: 8 hours 43 minutes</b> - this Spb Benchmark test turns the screen off and loops the same MP3 file. I had headphones plugged in and the volume turned up to maximum.<br /><br /><b><span>Dell Axim X50, 520 Mhz Model</span></b><br /><b>X50, Active WiFi: 3 hours 35 minutes</b> - WiFi stayed on until battery was down to 24%, then it turned off automatically.<br /><br /><b>X50, Active WiFi: 3 hours 18 minutes</b> - Tested again, same test as above.<br /><br /><b>X50, Standard Using: 5 hours and 37 minutes</b> - Same test as above.<br /><br /><b><span>Dell Axim X30, 624 Mhz Model</span></b><br /><b>X30, Standard Using w/Backlight on Maximum: 3 hours 17 minutes</b><br /><br /><b>X30 with Extended Battery, Standard Using w/Backlight on Maximum: 7 hours 7 minutes</b><br /><br /><b>X30, Zero Utilization, Backlight Off, Extended Battery: 28 hours 7 minutes</b><br /><br /><b>X30, Standard Using w/Backlight on One Notch Above Off: 7 hours 2 minutes before first low power beep, 11 hours 17 minutes before complete shut off</b><br /><br /><b>X30, WiFi Test, 50% brightness: 2 hours 25 minutes</b> - This was one of my early WiFi tests, using 128 KB HTML + graphics, on a 10 second refresh.

sdattilo
10-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Jason thanks for the insight on this. If you get time and could throw up some comparison numbers to your old X30 and any other Pocket PC's you have around that would be great. :D

timmer
10-25-2004, 03:07 PM
How about video playback ?

Darius Wey
10-25-2004, 03:12 PM
Those are some interesting results Jason.

Under standard usage between the X50 and X50v, you're looking at a 2 hour difference in battery life.

It seems as though VGA is a real power guzzler...perhaps that extended battery may be a viable option after all. ;)

MPSmith
10-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Great tests Jason. That pretty much answered my questions and I feel alot better about the X50v battery now. Especially, when I hear that the lowest brightness setting on the X50v is pretty darned good. That would make the results even better.

Andy Whiteford
10-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Yes, a battery test on the lower brightness setting provided it is usable would be a great indication.

david291
10-25-2004, 03:34 PM
I should note that in this test, it was 2 hours and 10 minutes until the WiFi was turned off due to lack of power. It lasted another 59 minutes after that just remaining on with no data transfer. When I ran this test again, and overrode the automatic WiFi turn off, the device lasted a total of 3 hours and 38 minutes before it died.
Jason, what is this "overrode the automatic WiFi turn off" you speak of? Is there a setting? What do they call the setting? I don't have my test X50 yet, and I'm too anxious to wait.

That automatic turn off was what made me reject the Axim X3 for use with our vertical market software product. This setting may exist on the X50 due to me. I tried to send my influence as far up the engineering chain at Dell as I could back when the X3 was introduced.

Kati Compton
10-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Battery life seems "less bad" than I thought, but I still don't regret getting the extended battery. I'm just envisioning travel - perhaps using Wifi in the airports, and using the device wireless-off on the plane. I want to make sure my battery isn't dead by the time I get *off* the plane, or I won't know what hotel I'm staying in. ;)

Anyway - I sent emails to both Vaja and Sena suggesting that they might want to consider making a version of an X50v case with room for the extended battery. Vaja gave a standard "we'll keep that in mind and let you know when we have an X50 case" response. Sena sounded more interested in the idea. But we'll see!

PJE
10-25-2004, 03:55 PM
Battery life seems "less bad" than I thought, but I still don't regret getting the extended battery. I'm just envisioning travel - perhaps using Wifi in the airports, and using the device wireless-off on the plane. I want to make sure my battery isn't dead by the time I get *off* the plane, or I won't know what hotel I'm staying in. ;)
I think I'll use the standard battery and some form of external rechargable battery pack - such as the Socket device if they do a 50% off sale ;)

Anyway - I sent emails to both Vaja and Sena suggesting that they might want to consider making a version of an X50v case with room for the extended battery. Vaja gave a standard "we'll keep that in mind and let you know when we have an X50 case" response. Sena sounded more interested in the idea. But we'll see!
Having used an E&B Slipper case with my X5 for the last couple years (and a Vaja slip case on my previous iPaq) I'm thinking about what I'll use on my X50v. The main criteria for me will be to keep the size down to a minimum while giving the screen some protection. I'd like basically a screen protector and some form of adhesive plastic covering for the rest of the case.

NLS
10-25-2004, 03:57 PM
something is weird here...

2:10 (WIFI live) + 59 (WIFI off) = 3:09 hours with the automatic WIFI shut-down and 3:38 WITHOUT WIFI shut-down??? (all 3:38 WIFI live)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(btw how do you disable WIFI shut down? not that I am buying Dell, just curious)

Mark R Penn
10-25-2004, 04:02 PM
I don't think anyone who is concerned about battery life would ever use their device at full brightness all the time.

Jason,

You might be interested to know that I DO run my 4700 on full brightness all the time, because it's battery life is so good that I can do. Anecdotally I'd say I'm getting at least 3 times the battery life I got out of my 5550 with the same useage pattern. It easily went from 5pm on Friday to 9 am today (Monday), with 5 minute bursts of wi-fi use evey hour or so (average), normal PIM use, and about 1.5 hours of MP3 playback (screen off). There were also 3 automatic backups done to card in that time, and it was still at 23% this morning.

The 5550 would seriously have struggled to get beyond Saturday morning.

I was thinking of getting a second battery for the 4700, but really don't see much point now.

It would be interesting to see your tests repeated for a 4700.

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 04:07 PM
How about video playback ?

My X50v keeps locking up when I try the video test - I don't hav the final production ROM on it, so it's hard to say what's causing this. :?

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Jason, what is this "overrode the automatic WiFi turn off" you speak of? Is there a setting? What do they call the setting? I don't have my test X50 yet, and I'm too anxious to wait.

No, it's not a setting. When you're using WiFi, and the battery gets to a critical level, a window pops up and asks you if you want to turn off the WiFi to save power because the battery is getting critically low. You can say yes or no, and keep using WiFi...if memory serves. Because this only happens when the battery is very low, it's hard to get a screen shot. I'm doing another round of WiFi tests right now so I'll try to confirm it 100% for you. The X30 had the same feature though. ;-)

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 04:35 PM
something is weird here...

I know, I'm not pleased with the test results either - so I'm trying another round of testing.

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 04:37 PM
You might be interested to know that I DO run my 4700 on full brightness all the time, because it's battery life is so good that I can do.

Well, that's good and all :wink:, but you know you're not in the majority - and, heck, it you turned it down a few notches you'd get even better battery life. Max brightness is overkill on any device IMO, unless you're outside in direct sunlight. But hey, it's your Pocket PC. ;-)

david291
10-25-2004, 04:46 PM

No, it's not a setting. When you're using WiFi, and the battery gets to a critical level, a window pops up and asks you if you want to turn off the WiFi to save power....
Damn. Why do these OEMs put in these types of non-overridable behaviors that put a stranglehold on the kiosk mode use of these devices in vertical market business applications?

I'd buy a couple hundred of these a month, and I'm only one of many with similar buying decisions.

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Ok, I've updated the text with test results from my X30, since I'm never going to actually review it. ;-)

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Why do these OEMs put in these types of non-overridable behaviors that put a stranglehold on the kiosk mode use of these devices in vertical market business applications?

I agree that it's incredibly stupid...but by the same token, I've never heard of a non-powered kiosk. Isn't that a bit, well, impractical? :-)

Janak Parekh
10-25-2004, 04:58 PM
You might be interested to know that I DO run my 4700 on full brightness all the time, because it's battery life is so good that I can do.
What I've heard is that the X50 has a really bright screen even at the "medium" setting. I haven't seen the X50, otherwise I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison. :)

--janak

Mark R Penn
10-25-2004, 05:02 PM

Well, that's good and all :wink:, but you know you're not in the majority - and, heck, it you turned it down a few notches you'd get even better battery life. Max brightness is overkill on any device IMO, unless you're outside in direct sunlight. But hey, it's your Pocket PC. ;-)

Oh indeed, but:

1) If I get all the battery life I need on full brightness without swapping batteries, and for the first time ever, I do , then there's no advantage to me in turning it down ;)

2) I don't find it overkill. I use it for photographs a lot, and they look far better at full brightness than even a few notches down. But it is what you get used to - I could get used to having it dimmer if I had to, but I've got used to it at it's most vibrant and want to keep it that way!

3) I don't mind being in a minority one bit ;) I wasn't critisizing you for conducting a test at reduced brightness, just trying to illustrate how good the 4700 is.

4) I find that bright sunlight is exactly when I LEAST need the backlight, as the reflective (transflective?) screen actually uses the sunlight instead of the backlight. Likewise darkness needs less backlight. It's "normal" day or room light that I find most requires the backlight.

5) It's very handy for seeing the steps down to my office (log cabin at the bottom of my garden) at night if I forget to tun the outside lights on!!!!!!

6) at full brightness it's easy to see the screen through the tinted flip cover.

Mark

Mark R Penn
10-25-2004, 05:06 PM
What I've heard is that the X50 has a really bright screen even at the "medium" setting. I haven't seen the X50, otherwise I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison. :)

--janak

I haven't seen one either, but the reviews I've seen say it's not as vibrant as the 4700. But then maybe vibrancy and brightness were not the same thing in the reviewers minds?

The 4700 is pretty bright at 50%, and very bright at 100%. I can't imagine any screen being brighter, because I doubt there'd be much point, but I don't know.

Jonathon Watkins
10-25-2004, 05:40 PM

Sounds good. I tend to use my X5 at the lower end of the brighness scale anyway, so that's not a problem for me.

alex_kac
10-25-2004, 06:56 PM

I only run mine also at full brightness. I hate running at low brightness, though I was used to it on all my other devices, especially the XDA II.

I can run my 4700 for 3-4 times longer than my other PPCs and its the battery that made me go for the 4700 over the Dell.

Kati Compton
10-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Why do these OEMs put in these types of non-overridable behaviors that put a stranglehold on the kiosk mode use of these devices in vertical market business applications?

I agree that it's incredibly stupid...but by the same token, I've never heard of a non-powered kiosk. Isn't that a bit, well, impractical? :-)
What about museum tour-guide handhelds? There's a place in Seattle that I think does this. Basically, you give each person a PDA that has a custom interface.

PJE
10-25-2004, 07:07 PM
All this talk of brightness settings is mute until the two devices are side by side and the actual brightness settings can be compared. I liked the hx4705 screen I saw in CompUSA, but it did not stike me as being particularly bright... I'll remember to take my X5 in next time as a comparison.

Kati Compton
10-25-2004, 07:08 PM
I haven't seen one either, but the reviews I've seen say it's not as vibrant as the 4700. But then maybe vibrancy and brightness were not the same thing in the reviewers minds?

The 4700 is pretty bright at 50%, and very bright at 100%. I can't imagine any screen being brighter, because I doubt there'd be much point, but I don't know.

From the pics I've seen, and the statements from reviewers, the X50v's screen is brighter, but the colors are more saturated on the 4700. This is at max brightness. I don't know if lowering the X50v's brightness a notch or two would wash out the colors less and bring them closer to looking the same.

Kati Compton
10-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Having used an E&B Slipper case with my X5 for the last couple years (and a Vaja slip case on my previous iPaq) I'm thinking about what I'll use on my X50v. The main criteria for me will be to keep the size down to a minimum while giving the screen some protection. I'd like basically a screen protector and some form of adhesive plastic covering for the rest of the case.
Ah. Well, it seems like no matter what case I get, the X50v plus case will be smaller than my X5 plus case. Both Vaja and Sena make pretty small form-fitting cases, but I see how small > nothing. ;)

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 07:16 PM
What about museum tour-guide handhelds? There's a place in Seattle that I think does this. Basically, you give each person a PDA that has a custom interface.

Yeah, the Experience Music Project. I wouldn't consider that a kiosk, that's a vertical application. Those are also custom Windows CE devices that are built to be dropped, have huge batteries, etc.

Mark R Penn
10-25-2004, 07:29 PM
All this talk of brightness settings is mute until the two devices are side by side and the actual brightness settings can be compared. I liked the hx4705 screen I saw in CompUSA, but it did not stike me as being particularly bright... I'll remember to take my X5 in next time as a comparison.

Except that the point wasn't that one was brighter than the other, it was that even with the brightness at 100%, the 4700 battery life is awsome. If 100% on a 4700 isn't enough for you, then from what I've seen nothing will be, and if you are happy with it turned down, it will be even more awsome! That's why I asked Jason for a repeat of his Dell tests with the 4700 - anyone choosing between the two will want a like for like comparison.

Certainly the Dell at 50% will not be as bright as the 4700 at 100%, so I guess the only way we'll ever know is if someone we trust (Jason) does a side by side test with both set to the same apparent brightness level (I'd suggest dimmest set at 100%, then the other set down to match would be a fair comparison). We don't need absolute figures as they're meaningless anyway, just a comparrison like "x lasted twice as long as y".

The thread is about battery life, with some posts worrying that VGA drains the battery. The fact is that if it does, HP have managed to solve the problem big time with the 4700, and I just wanted to point out that VGA doesn't have to equal short battery life.

That doesn't mean to say the 4700 is therefore "best", just that if battery life is a key concern for a particular user, it really can't be ignored. I think the HP isbetter than the Dell on battery life, but on other things I don't know. Given the different price levels I doubt there could ever be a clear winner overall.

Mark R Penn
10-25-2004, 07:36 PM

Yeah, the Experience Music Project. I wouldn't consider that a kiosk, that's a vertical application. Those are also custom Windows CE devices that are built to be dropped, have huge batteries, etc.

Being a non-IT-techy type person, could someone explain what a vertical application is please? In fact, what use are PPC's put to in kiosks? I've never seen one used other than as a conventional PDA over here, so I'm intrigued :)

PJE
10-25-2004, 07:38 PM
&lt;snip>

Certainly the Dell at 50% will not be as bright as the 4700 at 100%, so I guess the only way we'll ever know is if someone we trust (Jason) does a side by side test with both set to the same apparent brightness level (I'd suggest dimmest set at 100%, then the other set down to match would be a fair comparison). We don't need absolute figures as they're meaningless anyway, just a comparrison like "x lasted twice as long as y".

&lt;snip>

I agree with everything you've said. If both machines were the same price I'd almost certainly go with the HP, but $650 vs $465 is a big difference.

There is another thing that needs to be taken into accound - the X50v that Jason is testing is pre-release... :wink: so I'll have to wait for the final machines to be release to say anything definative.

Kati Compton
10-25-2004, 07:44 PM

Being a non-IT-techy type person, could someone explain what a vertical application is please? In fact, what use are PPC's put to in kiosks? I've never seen one used other than as a conventional PDA over here, so I'm intrigued :)

Well, they're not IN a kiosk, but they're used temporarily by non-owners. So yeah, they are probably the ruggedized kind. And maybe the distributor has software to override things like the warning window. But my point was that that's a situation where you might want a PDA that limits the user's interaction.

Vertical application is a term used when electronics are by employees of a company for a specific work-related purpose and nothing ever ever more because the other abilities of the device were disabled. In these cases, the device is more a "tool" than a computer or a PDA - it's just used to get the job done.

Mark R Penn
10-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks Kati - you learn something new every day!

david291
10-25-2004, 07:54 PM
By "kiosk mode" I just meant that our app doesn't allow access to the rest of the PDA. The person using it is mobile, walking around for their whole work shift, using the handheld as a primary tool related to their job. They usually know nothing about WiFi, whether it might be important, or why turning it off to save battery might be a VERY BAD thing to do.

If the X50 is like the X3, it also will not allow WiFi to be turned back on without exiting our app and doing it through the regular OEM supplied means. Recharging, suspend/resume, soft reset, nor any programmatic means will work.

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 11:24 PM
That's why I asked Jason for a repeat of his Dell tests with the 4700 - anyone choosing between the two will want a like for like comparison.

I don't have one, so I can't do that.

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 11:30 PM
By "kiosk mode" I just meant that our app doesn't allow access to the rest of the PDA. The person using it is mobile, walking around for their whole work shift, using the handheld as a primary tool related to their job. They usually know nothing about WiFi, whether it might be important, or why turning it off to save battery might be a VERY BAD thing to do. If the X50 is like the X3, it also will not allow WiFi to be turned back on without exiting our app and doing it through the regular OEM supplied means. Recharging, suspend/resume, soft reset, nor any programmatic means will work.

Ah, ok - I see where you're coming from here. No consumer-grade Pocket PC will last a full workday with WiFi turned on, so I think you're barking up the wrong free - even if the device turns off WiFi at 24% battery, the device will still in a low battery state the the OS will give warnings about that. Plus, you can't turn on WiFi in any way while in a low-battery state, so kiosk or not, it's a moot point...

Can I ask why you haven't looked at a Symbol device with a big battery? That seems to be the best solution for you.

serpa4
10-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Very good battery test, thanks. I'd also like to see the battery life at a couple brightness settings while playing a video full screen. My arbitrary limit set what I think is acceptable is 2-100 minute movies while on a trip or plane flight. I was initially turned off by the small battery when I ordered my 50v. I chose the extended warr. over the extended bat since my 2 children also play/drop my PDA. Now at lease I know the bat will work fine UNTIL a lion/mugen comes out. I personally don’t want a thicker bat. The dell's smaller size is a big reason I'm going 50 over 47. The 47 was a strong contender, but no 2700G, and that touch pad. No thanks. On the other hand, magnesium, 4”, and 1800mha, very nice!

gt24
10-26-2004, 03:17 AM
UPDATE: I've updated my test results with some older test data I did for the X30 and X3i.
&lt;snip>

Dell Axim X30, 624 Mhz Model
X30, Standard Using w/Backlight on Maximum: 3 hours 17 minutes

X30 with Extended Battery, Standard Using w/Backlight on Maximum: 7 hours 7 minutes

X30, Standard Using w/Backlight on 50%: 3 hours 17 minutes

&lt;snip>

Maximum backlight and 50% backlight with standard battery has same runtimes?

david291
10-26-2004, 02:44 PM
By "kiosk mode" I just meant that our app doesn't allow access to the rest of the PDA. The person using it is mobile, walking around for their whole work shift, using the handheld as a primary tool related to their job. They usually know nothing about WiFi, whether it might be important, or why turning it off to save battery might be a VERY BAD thing to do. If the X50 is like the X3, it also will not allow WiFi to be turned back on without exiting our app and doing it through the regular OEM supplied means. Recharging, suspend/resume, soft reset, nor any programmatic means will work.

Ah, ok - I see where you're coming from here. No consumer-grade Pocket PC will last a full workday with WiFi turned on, so I think you're barking up the wrong free - even if the device turns off WiFi at 24% battery, the device will still in a low battery state the the OS will give warnings about that. Plus, you can't turn on WiFi in any way while in a low-battery state, so kiosk or not, it's a moot point...

Can I ask why you haven't looked at a Symbol device with a big battery? That seems to be the best solution for you.
Since you asked...

We already have hundreds of handhelds in the field working great (both Axim X5 and HP 2210 because of their optional extended battery option: 3400 mAh and 3600 mAh respectively). The units are used during the worker's shift every several minutes for a few minutes at a time, then back into suspend mode. So they're on about half the time on average, always using WiFi when they're on. They can easily last 17 hours (two shifts) before an overnight recharge under that duty cycle.

Neither the Axim X5 nor the HP 2210 will cut power to the CF slot (where our wifi card sits) under low battery conditions, so on those devices wifi continues to work fine all the way down to 10% battery, at which time our app starts warning the user. For these new devices with built in wifi, the OEM's are forcing their own agenda with respect to wifi availability and the low battery condition. And THAT'S the problem.

Symbol handhelds would be ideal if they didn't cost so much. But that's starting to change with the new MC50 just announced.

david291
10-26-2004, 02:56 PM
By the way, since this is a battery life thread, I can tell you that the grand-daddy of battery life is the HP 2215 with the 3600 mAh battery. Running continuously at default brightness with a CF wifi card also running continuously, the unit will last... (drumroll)

10 hours, 31 minutes!

Jason Dunn
10-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Very good battery test, thanks. I'd also like to see the battery life at a couple brightness settings while playing a video full screen.

I'd do that but the X50v locks up when I try to play the video more than once...&lt;sigh> The curse of beta units! :?

For those watching this thread, I did another X50v WiFi test and updated my original article.

Jason Dunn
10-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Maximum backlight and 50% backlight with standard battery has same runtimes?

Hmm...I went back and checked my battery test notes and I can't figure out exactly what I meant with those numbers, so I pulled that test results. The perils of publishing results when they're so old you know longer know what they mean! :roll:

Mark R Penn
10-29-2004, 03:23 PM
That's why I asked Jason for a repeat of his Dell tests with the 4700 - anyone choosing between the two will want a like for like comparison.

I don't have one, so I can't do that.

I'll gladly run the test if you can let me have instructions and the apropriate files? Obviously though I wouldn't be able to compare the backlight setting with a Dell.

Darius Wey
10-29-2004, 03:33 PM
I'll gladly run the test if you can let me have instructions and the apropriate files? Obviously though I wouldn't be able to compare the backlight setting with a Dell.

Jason used Spb Benchmark which you can find here. (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/benchmark/?en) It's free for reviewers and non-commercial use; otherwise it's US$495.

Mark R Penn
10-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Ah OK thanks. He mentioned what I remembered as a "special file" for the wifi tests, but in fact it was a test page.

I'll do the tests ASAP.

Jason Dunn
10-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Ah OK thanks. He mentioned what I remembered as a "special file" for the wifi tests, but in fact it was a test page.

Yeah, what I did was set Spb Benchmark on the WiFi test, then started up IE on the test page, and left it there until the WiFi died - but you have to watch for it because Spb Benchmark can't tell when WiFi has been turned off - it's timer will keep going until the batter dies, which isn't the same thing since WiFi will die at 24% on most Pocket PCs.

Mark R Penn
10-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks Jason.

It may be at least a week before I can do this, as I'm off to Italy on business, and really can't risk running my battery right down while I'm away!

If someone else gets there first with a test, great.

Mark

lrf
10-31-2004, 02:37 PM
Do you have results for Dell Axim x30 with 312 processor as compared to 624 processor. It appears to me that if battery life is significantly longer with slower processor, that depending on type of usage, a longer battery life might be a good tradeoff to a faster processor. Thoughts on this please.

Darius Wey
10-31-2004, 02:59 PM
Do you have results for Dell Axim x30 with 312 processor as compared to 624 processor. It appears to me that if battery life is significantly longer with slower processor, that depending on type of usage, a longer battery life might be a good tradeoff to a faster processor. Thoughts on this please.

I don't have data for this on-hand but what you state is correct. Running at a lower clock speed will lengthen the battery life. Having said that, there are a number of applications out there which can scale the processor clock speed. It is easier to scale a faster processor down to a slower clock speed, than it is to overclock a slower processor to a faster clock speed. So acquisition of a device with a faster processor may be more beneficial in the long run as it provides you with two options (running at a lower clock speed or a faster clock speed without having to worry about overclocking) as opposed to the one (running at a lower clock speed, yet having to worry about overclocking to attain a faster clock speed). I think the device with the 624MHz processor is the more viable option, but it's up to you at the end of the day.

Jason Dunn
11-01-2004, 07:54 PM

The tests were done with the CPU set to "AUTO", so in most of the tests that are non-strenuous on the CPU, it was actually running slower than maximum speed...plus, I only have one X30, so I can't test that anyway. ;-)

k1darkknight
11-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Damn. Why do these OEMs put in these types of non-overridable behaviors that put a stranglehold on the kiosk mode use of these devices in vertical market business applications?

I'd buy a couple hundred of these a month, and I'm only one of many with similar buying decisions.

David, I'd think that if you have that kind of buying power (and a Dell rep whom you regularly contact), AND have some sway with others who have similar buying power, that you and your Dell rep might be able to convince whoever you need to convince to make some custom x50's for your company.

...Especially if your company were willing to forgo the typical corporate bulk discounts... :wink:

Chris, aka Corporate suck-up...NOT!