View Full Version : how to install .NET Compact Framework from within Pocket PC Device

arif_1947
10-23-2004, 01:57 PM
hi,

i want to install the .NET Compact Framework from a directory on my Pocket Pc device without using Microsoft Active Sync. Due to battery down, often .NET Compact Framework is vanished from my Pocket PC. Therefore i want to save the setup file or some means so that i can install .NET CF without using a host PC and MS Active Sync.

how can i use netcf.core.ppc3.arm.cab located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\v1.0.5000\Windows CE\wce300\arm\
for this purpose.

I created a Setup Wizard from VS.NET and copy that on pocket pc but while trying
to execute Setup file Windows CE messages =>
“Not a valid Windows CE program”
or
“The file is not associated with any program. First run the program and then run this file.”

i also want to know that how VS.NET deploy/installs .NET CF on pocket pc using this CAB file (netcf.core.ppc3.arm.cab)
in the directory locations on pocket pc.

Please help.

Arif

Darius Wey
10-23-2004, 02:08 PM
If you are getting this error, it means that the CAB file cannot be installed on your device due to its incompatibility.

I suggest this is what you do, if you want to avoid the ActiveSync method:

(1) Download the entire .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP2 package here. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=359ea6da-fc5d-41cc-ac04-7bb50a134556&displaylang=en)
(2) Run the installation file. Note that you will not be obligated to install it onto your device during installation. This installation merely copies the relevant setup files onto your computer.
(3) Navigate your way to the folder which you installed the files to (most likely x:\Program Files\Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP2, where x is the drive letter you installed it to)
(4) Set up an ActiveSync connection, or a network connection, and copy the netcf.core.ppc3.arm.cab file into a folder on the Pocket PC (My Documents is fine for this purpose).
(5) Open File Explorer and tap on the CAB file to install it.

Now if none of that works, you will have most likely to have copied the wrong file, as it depends on (a) what version of the Pocket PC OS you are running, and (b) what processor your Pocket PC has. Note that there are other versions of the .NET CF available.

Steven Cedrone
10-23-2004, 03:02 PM
arif_1947: please read your PM's...