View Full Version : PDA2K - Who has it - Where did you buy it?

jemichael
10-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Hi,

I am trying decide where I should purchase this device... For those who have purchased it and have it - what do you think of it? Overall, how does it feel to use, are there any nice cases available for it yet, have you noticed any problems with it. Is it worth the $900?

I currently have the TMobile Pocket PC (the first one) and this would be a nice upgrade for me but I am hesitant till I get some more information and hear some experiences from others..

I am looking at www.expansys-usa.com right now. Has anybody ordered it from there? If not where did you order yours from?

Thanks,
John

jasondearyou
10-23-2004, 05:31 PM
i had this question all along, since the H63XX is being sold in the UK, is it unlocked there, and could it be used in another country? Just like the P2K?

hashemc
10-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Hi,

I am trying decide where I should purchase this device... For those who have purchased it and have it - what do you think of it? Overall, how does it feel to use, are there any nice cases available for it yet, have you noticed any problems with it. Is it worth the $900?

I currently have the TMobile Pocket PC (the first one) and this would be a nice upgrade for me but I am hesitant till I get some more information and hear some experiences from others..

I am looking at www.expansys-usa.com right now. Has anybody ordered it from there? If not where did you order yours from?

Thanks,
John

Hi John,

I purchased mine about 2 weeks ago from eXpansys USA and have been very happy with it. It feels very fast and responsive to use, the only complaints I have are that the case that comes with it is not very good. I purchased a universal case from Krusell, and although it was recommended for this particular model was too big for my taste. Piel Frama makes a custom case for it but I prefer the horizontal cases (if anyone knows of a custom horizontal case for this I would be interested). The second complaint is with the Bluetooth where occasionally you have to soft reset the device due to "insufficient driver memory". This is a known bug and will hopefully be addressed via a future ROM upgrade.

Now the big question - is it worth $900? Only you can answer that, it really depends on what your needs are and how this device fits those needs. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with that one but it truly depends on the individual (personally it was worth the money that I spent).

Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

jemichael
10-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi,

Thanks,
John

Hi John,

I purchased mine about 2 weeks ago from eXpansys USA and have been very happy with it. It feels very fast and responsive to use, the only complaints I have are that the case that comes with it is not very good. I purchased a universal case from Krusell, and although it was recommended for this particular model was too big for my taste. Piel Frama makes a custom case for it but I prefer the horizontal cases (if anyone knows of a custom horizontal case for this I would be interested). The second complaint is with the Bluetooth where occasionally you have to soft reset the device due to "insufficient driver memory". This is a known bug and will hopefully be addressed via a future ROM upgrade.

Now the big question - is it worth $900? Only you can answer that, it really depends on what your needs are and how this device fits those needs. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with that one but it truly depends on the individual (personally it was worth the money that I spent).

Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

Thank you for your response.. I do like Pocketpcthoughts but it seems at times when one has questions it takes to long to get responses. I have been spending alot of my time at the HoFo forums..

I decided to order one through a individual who did a group buy price at $825 each. I made payment yesterday and paid for overnight shipping with insurance and was still under the expansys price by $15. According to the tracking information it is in delivery and should be here in the next hour. Can not wait.

Again, thank you for your reply. I just ordered my sync-charge cable and screen protector and the new stylus/pen combo that fits in the pda2ks stylus slot from www.boxwave.com so hopefully I will have that by the end of the week.

I am still looking for a case as I know that the one that comes with it is going to suck. I am looking into the Piel cases and there is a guy in HoFo forums doing a group buy for $55 each, but I am looking for other options also before I order.

nickp
10-26-2004, 07:24 PM
I also purchased mine from ExpanSys and am very pleased with it. The BT issues will be resolved in an upcoming ROM update from www.clubimate.com and the memory problem referred to earlier in this post, has already been addressed with the current ROM update at Club iMate.

Overall the device is very nice, both form and function. I have used Treo 600, HP6315, iPAQ 4355 w/ BT GPRS connection through phone, etc... and this is the first convergence device I am very happy with. iMate has an excellent reputation and thier frequent ROM updates through thier web site, is an invaluable tool.

As far as cases go, take a look at Nutshell. www.tuff-as-nuts.com I had one of their cases for my Treo600 and purchased another one when my PDA2K arrived. The model you will need is the 205/206 (depending on type of clip). I personally like the model with the belt loop because it can be worn horizontally(my preference) or vertically, and it tucks very tightly against your body. Nutshell offers your traditional belt clip (stainless steel for stregth), the belt loop or no fastener as well as many options for color and finish. The company is based in New Zeland but most orders arrive in the states within 5 days. Very good build quality.

Enjoy your new toy and let us know how you like it.

zoomer777
10-27-2004, 04:02 AM
If you wait... you can get this from SprintPCS in a month for about 629...correct? I have no idea about other carriers! Yes, I realize Sprint is dropping WiFi in the device (retarded), but maybe they will change their mind by the time it is released!

HA!

Carlos
10-27-2004, 07:23 AM
You should look around various PDA-phone sites and make note of the problems with the device before you decide. I definitely do not think it's worth it.

We've got two of them in my household; I'm sending mine back tomorrow and buying something else. It's unusable with either a BT or wired headset, and I can't hold the phone to my ear all the time. I spend a lot of time on the phone, and much of the time I have to also be able to type and/or use the PDA features to take notes and look up info.

My girlfriend is keeping hers, she uses the PDA features much more, with little phone time, and feels she can live with all the bugs and having to reset it often.

jemichael
10-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Carlos - sorry your experiences have been bad. I think its plenty loud enough for anything, I have to keep the volume down. What kind of headset are you using? You shouldnt have a problem with the wired. I got a Bodyglove wired till I decide on a bluetooth model and wow it is so loud compared to my TMobile Pocket PC, at least double.

I have to say that I have been using this PDA for about 3 hours, and I think it is amazing. The quality of the phone is unbelivable.

Everybody is going to have a different view on this phone/pda combo. I so far think it is great.

I have no way of returning this device.. The only way to get my money back is via ebay or selling it to somebody.

But I do not think it will come to that. So far I love it. I am having some problems getting it to sync via wifi but will get it solved soon.

Carlos
10-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I liked it the first day or so. A few hours or even a couple days is not long enough to realize how the problems will impact you. It also depends on how much you depend on the phone and a headset.

I didn't say the headsets were too quiet. The BT headset has a number of issues which are posted all over various boards. It's unusable because it rarely works, and when it does, you're just lucky and you can't depend on it. The wired headset gets buzzing and clicking noises like you get when a cell phone is too close to your computer speakers or a desk phone.

jemichael
10-27-2004, 09:00 AM
I am starting to notice that the Brightness of the screen keeps resetting to all the way low as in off when i come out of the standby mode to use the phone. Ever had that problem?

Carlos
10-27-2004, 09:04 AM
No, but I've had it set itself to full brightness a number of times. With the BT power issue, this helps assure I run out of battery power quickly...

jemichael
10-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Ok scratch what I said about the brightness, I didnt have the second checkbox checked for turning the screen back on when tapped or button pressed.. doh..

outdoor
10-27-2004, 02:36 PM
hey jemichael,

i've seen you posting quite a bit in hofo.. and if you notice I bought an pda2k from madmonkeyboy as well :D (great guy).

Anyways, i had my imate for a week now, and right now i can say its stable so far. I dont use Bluetooth unless its for activesyncing (i hate putting it in my cradle), and after a few fuss I managed to get it to work. I really like the device; it replaces me having to carry a phone and a pda all the time (i own a sharp gx15 and an ipaq 4150).

There are drawbacks to the imate, unfortuneately. As I came from a 4150 user, the imate's performance as a pda cannot be compared to my trustly ol' 4150. I tried to play FLUX challenge on my pda2k and the graphics were choppy. This is probably due to the processor handling the phone and pda operation at the same time. As for PIE loading/rendering times, the iPaq does a way faster job loading larger pages. Sometimes when I try to access the full-sized versions of hofo and pocketpcthoughts, i want to stop page rendering as soon as all the text are loaded (no point of loading the graphics); on my 4150, i can stop it right away. But on my imate, it "freezes" for a while, as though you are using a P1 machine right now.

overall I am quite impressed with the unit. Afterall, this device "left no features behind" (apart from vga :P). If you come from a sole pda and want a convergent device you have to sacrifice power and performance.