View Full Version : what is the best internet browser for VGA

crwoo
10-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a Internet browser software that supports VGA and doesnt work like skweezer (subscription service and going through their server).

mscdex
10-21-2004, 10:48 PM
What about NetFront? I cannot verify that works with VGA as I only have an iPaq 2215, but is definitely an excellent browser and is much better and supports more features than PocketIE. If memory serves me correctly, NetFront displayed correctly when I used Nyditot Virtual Display on my iPaq at 800x600 even.

Definitely worth a try in my opinion.

jpf
10-22-2004, 12:38 AM
The only VGA version of netfront is for the toshiba e800's. It (netfront)works on a vga screen but doesn't take advantage of the resolution.
You can use se_vga but for me. it's too much messing around.
Multi-ie with PIE provides everything I need. I would certainly consider a browser that natively supported vga (same goes for a book reader).
Some ppl I've read are happy to use se_vga, change fonts and all the rest of it to browse but there isn't a drop in solution right now that I'm aware of.

Darius Wey
10-22-2004, 01:28 AM
What about NetFront? I cannot verify that works with VGA as I only have an iPaq 2215, but is definitely an excellent browser and is much better and supports more features than PocketIE. If memory serves me correctly, NetFront displayed correctly when I used Nyditot Virtual Display on my iPaq at 800x600 even.

Definitely worth a try in my opinion.

With the 3.1 (non-VGA) version, you can occassionally come across a problem with an oversized address bar. I have not been able to verify this across all devices, yet I have confirmed it on a few of HP's past iPAQs.

I'm hoping that when 3.2 is released, this issue will be rectified.

crwoo
10-22-2004, 03:37 AM
I have netfront, i still have to find in what wa its better than the M$ IE.

do you use VGA?? I'm using it on a E80x

Darius Wey
10-22-2004, 04:01 AM
I have netfront, i still have to find in what wa its better than the M$ IE.

do you use VGA?? I'm using it on a E80x

Sorry. I don't have a VGA device.

However, I have tested it on an emulated 480x640 resolution and a 640x480 resolution, and so that is why I know of these certain address bar oversizing problems.

You will find that NetFront is better than Pocket IE in many ways. Do you know which version of NetFront you have?

Quoting from the Access website, here's a brief run-down of the benefits of NetFront:

NetFront v3.1 for Pocket PC is a sophisticated, next-generation embedded Internet browser that sets a new global standard for all embedded browsers. It offers the most comprehensive feature-set currently available in the market including support for WAP 2.0 and the latest W3C specifications. In addition, NetFront v3.1 for Pocket PC provides compelling features that are not commercially available on Pocket Internet Explorer, including special functions that dramatically improve the display of web pages on small screens, including Multi-Window Display, Smart-Fit(TM), Page Store, Zoom and Drag-Scroll. In addition, NetFront v3.1 provides enterprise-level features including support for Secure-Sockets Layer 2.0 and 3.0, and 128-bit TLS 1.0.

You will find there are other features such as auto-cruise there aren't mentioned in this little "blurb". NetFront 3.2 also has additional features.

If you want to read more about it, you can see it at the Access website. (http://www.access-us-inc.com)

Janak Parekh
10-24-2004, 04:31 AM
There was once an e805 version of NetFront (before SE was released). It'd be interesting to see how well it'd work on a VGA SE device.

As for 3.2, Access has been making noise about releasing it soon, so let's hope. :) In the meantime, PIE + SE_VGA works pretty well.

--janak

OSUKid7
10-24-2004, 05:45 AM
As for 3.2, Access has been making noise about releasing it soon, so let's hope. :) In the meantime, PIE + SE_VGA works pretty well.I just tried that tonight, and WOW 8O are the fonts small. It does give you a lot of screen space, but even my 17-year-old eyes (well, with glasses ;) :lol:) find that hard to read - on a 4" screen. I think I'll stick with standard VGA for most times.

Mark R Penn
10-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Netfront looks great with SE_VGA, but then so does PIE! However SE_VGA is just too much hassle to use to make it a viable solution.

The other option is to dissable double pixelling (when a VGA device draws qvga resources at 2x2 pixels for every one qvga pixel) using Tweak2k. However, THAT'S when you get the huge address bar (and dialogues btw), and although actual web pages look good, the app becomes unuseable.

Lets hope Netfront 3.2 takes advantage of VGA, because a VGA browser is desparately needed - web browsing is the biggest dissapointment in WM2003SE VGA imho.

newst
10-26-2004, 10:57 AM
I've been using Netfront 3.1 on the hx4700, with SE_VGA for about a month now without problems.

First, I don't understand the comments about the trouble involved using SE_VGA. I have it running in true VGA mode almost entirely (about the only time I use the HiDpi mode is when playing Solitaire). It has been trouble free and completely transparent.

Second, while there is a problem with huge address bars with 3.1, you can hide the address bar whenever you're not actually using it. When you are using it it is certainly easy to read. In daily use this works more like a useful design feature than a bug.

Finally, why Netscape over PIE? Admittedly the improvements to PIE in WM2003SE are nice, but it still doesn't support Java. I need to access my office through OWA when I'm on the road, which I can do with Netscape but not PIE.

Darius Wey
10-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Finally, why Netscape over PIE? Admittedly the improvements to PIE in WM2003SE are nice, but it still doesn't support Java. I need to access my office through OWA when I'm on the road, which I can do with Netscape but not PIE.

Please tell me that's a typo. :? If not, a link for Netscape for Pocket PC would be greatly appreciated. :way to go:

Mark R Penn
10-26-2004, 11:57 AM
I've been using Netfront 3.1 on the hx4700, with SE_VGA for about a month now without problems.

First, I don't understand the comments about the trouble involved using SE_VGA. I have it running in true VGA mode almost entirely (about the only time I use the HiDpi mode is when playing Solitaire). It has been trouble free and completely transparent.

Second, while there is a problem with huge address bars with 3.1, you can hide the address bar whenever you're not actually using it. When you are using it it is certainly easy to read. In daily use this works more like a useful design feature than a bug.

The problem with SE_VGA isn't that it crashes or anything, just that it doesn't play well with many apps and with the OS - the dialogues and buttons are far too small, many qvga apps (including ironically SE_VGA itself) show up at 1/4 screen, and the resources for apps that ARE VGA complient generally resize incorrectly.

It is VERY good for some apps, like Netfront, Resco Explorer or PIE, but is hopeless for others. That would be fine if it wasn't necessary to soft reset to enable it (I'd just turn it on when I needed it), but as it is necessary, it's a pain in the neck.

It's a great utility, but it's certainly NOT transparent!

I don't see the huge address bar when using SE_VGA; I see it if I dissable double pixelling using Tweak2k2. I then also see very huge but un-scrollable dialogues within Netfront, and there's no way it's useable.

Re Netfront versus PIE, there's no way I'm going to spend that kind of money on an app until I have a need for it. My point was that for my use (eg I don't need java), PIE does everything I need from a browser, and Netfront does it no better. The thing I DO need from a browser is proper VGA support, and if Netfront add that then I'll buy it.