View Full Version : Dissapointed in Future Shop Employees' Lack of Knowledge

Sydney Bristow
10-20-2004, 09:10 PM
I'm quite certain this isn't the case with most employees, but the two my mother had the misfortune to be acquainted with were not very knowledgeable in their field.

A few days ago, my mother had gone to purchase an SD card. She does not know what it is though, so she had to get an employee to assist her. She brought it home, and I checked it before she opened it; it turned out to be a CF card, not SD.

So my mom went back to Future Shop (while I was at school), but then another employee that helped her said it indeed WAS an SD card because it said so right there. It was an SD card. If you call all SanDisk cards SD cards, why not? S/he claimed that it was "a faster SD card." Right. That's great, but what good is it if it's the wrong type of card?

My mom will have to make yet another trip to FS, just to get a proper SD card instead of receiving wrong advices from "employees" who can't tell Secure Digital from SanDisk, nor the difference between Secure Digital and Compact Flash. :roll: Even if they can't read the label, shouldn't they at least find that something's different in the size? I really think they should go and find out if what they know to be true is actually true or in fact false before misinforming their customers.

jasondearyou
10-20-2004, 10:00 PM
:crazyeyes: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :? :? :? :? :? :?

ctmagnus
10-20-2004, 10:50 PM
I've seen instances where a customer asked for a Sandisk and came home with a card reader instead of a card.

maximus
10-21-2004, 01:40 AM
There are always 2 kind of people in a store :
1. The kind that has salesmanship attitude, hence he/she tries to learn about the various products on the store.
2. The kind that only tries to make a living, hence he/she does not bother to do the above.

I guess your mother happened to meet the second type.

p.s. ... why did your mother go to the shop, instead of you ? :)

butch
10-21-2004, 02:40 AM
Next time, go to the FS website, take the WebID of the item you want, give that # to your mother, this is the product # they use in the store too, they should be able to find the right item for you :-)

or
Next time, tell your mom to get a Secure Digital card, not SD :p

Sydney Bristow
10-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Tee hee, thanks for the advice. I guess taking down the code number is a good idea! ^^ I didn't bother to do it though because I thought the employees would obviously know what an SD card is. :? Oh well. :|

P.S: My mother went because it was for her digital camera, and she didn't want to "eat up my study time." :( I actually wanted to go! :lol:

Cybrid
10-22-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm not suprised. Having worked in the retail industry fro more than 10 years, I've seen a lot of idiots treat the job as a well..."McJob". Whenever I go in and some one goes "Can I help you?". I take the opportunity to ask them something that only a true geek would know. Usually gets them running in the opposite direction. :devilboy:
Forget Futureshop, go to London Drugs. One exception, there is one likeable futureshop guy. Metrotown Vancouver's Simon. Smart Guy. And no, I'm not him. He's just this guy that has been able to answer all the clever question I could think up. Respect.