View Full Version : IE6 favorites

uzetaab
10-20-2004, 05:23 PM
I know it's a little off topic, but this has been driving me CRAZY!
You know how microsoft keeps adding thosed supid condenced menus that just display the items you click on most often? Personally I hate them & always turn them off. But I just cant figure out how to stop the ones in the favorites menu of IE6. I've looked everywhere & just cant see it.

The first few times you click on favorites it says you can turn it off in internet options, but I couldn't find it there. I've checked the help file & I even tried the knowledge base at microsoft.com.

Before you tell me to switch to netscape or whatever it's called these days, it doesn't have one feature that I like which is CTRL ENTER to fill in the 'http://www.' and '.com' around an address. Besides, I'm on dialup & can't be bothered downloading it.

Thanks for any help

Jason Dunn
10-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Moved to the Off-Topic forum since that's why we created it. ;-)

Go into TOOLS > OPTIONS > ADVANCED and un-check the "Enable Personalized Favorites" option - that should fix it (if I understand your question).

OSUKid7
10-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Before you tell me to switch to netscape or whatever it's called these days, it doesn't have one feature that I like which is CTRL ENTER to fill in the 'http://www.' and '.com' around an address. Besides, I'm on dialup & can't be bothered downloading it.Actually, I think most browsers (definitely Firefox, and I even think Netscape now) have that Ctrl+Enter combination. And Firefox is only 4.7 MB. :) IE's fine though if you like it, and Jason's solution works to disable (or un-enable ;)) those pesky "personalized" menus.

uzetaab
10-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks guys, I knew it had to be there. I just couldn't see it for looking. I must say I miss tab browsing. I'll add firefox to my ever growing list of task items.

ctmagnus
10-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Go into TOOLS > OPTIONS > ADVANCED and un-check the "Enable Personalized Favorites" option - that should fix it.

iirc, that checkbox has always been unchecked by default, on all the installs of IE6 and it's service packs I've done.

OSUKid7
10-21-2004, 11:08 PM
iirc, that checkbox has always been unchecked by default, on all the installs of IE6 and it's service packs I've done.Yeah I was thinking the same thing. :|