View Full Version : Microsoft Wireless Mouse - AA or AAA batteries?

Prevost
10-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Which batteries does it use? AA or AAA? I talk about their last one, that one SUPPOSED to give up to 6 months on the batteries... :roll:

Darius Wey
10-20-2004, 12:33 PM
The Microsoft wireless mice use AAA batteries.

Bear in mind that while they claim that you get up to 6 months of usage (and do note the words, "up to"), it is largely based on how often you use it and what your patterns of usage are. And besides, the default batteries that companies provide in their products always seem like poor-quality "seconds" batteries that you would pick up from your local $2 store. I'm sure if you purchase a decent set of replacement batteries, it'll serve you a lot better. ;)

Prevost
10-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Thank you DJ Apod. Now, how many batteries does it use? Two, or three?

And what about Logitech MX 700 and MX 900?

I need (badly) to exchange the previous MS Wireless for its weight, mainly due to its two AA batteries. It is giving me shoulder problems.

Darius Wey
10-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Thank you DJ Apod. Now, how many batteries does it use? Two, or three?

And what about Logitech MX 700 and MX 900?

I need (badly) to exchange the previous MS Wireless for its weight, mainly due to its two AA batteries. It is giving me shoulder problems.

If i recall correctly, the MS mice use two AAA batteries.

The MX700 uses AA batteries so if weight's a problem, I wouldn't be considering this model as a replacement option.

I believe the MX900 also uses AA batteries as well. I think it is best to just stick with the MS range.

Prevost
10-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Yes, I had that in mind. Thank you.

tanalasta
10-21-2004, 09:00 AM
I doubt you'll get 6/12 usage from your wireless mouse on one set of batteries unless you have the newer (more expensive) models... or don't use your mouse much.

I get one month out of my wireless mouse - if that.

Good quality rechargable NiMH are the way to go with these products. :)

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 09:04 AM
I doubt you'll get 6/12 usage from your wireless mouse on one set of batteries unless you have the newer (more expensive) models... or don't use your mouse much.

I get one month out of my wireless mouse - if that.

Good quality rechargable NiMH are the way to go with these products. :)

I've heard that some of the Logitech devices can only last for a couple of weeks before the batteries have to be replaced.

It really does depend on what your usage patterns are - which is the primary reason why I still opt for the corded solutions out there because based on my computer usage patterns, I'd be shelling out many dollars for batteries every week or two. In the long-run, it probably wouldn't work out to be the most cost-effective solution. ;)

Prevost
10-21-2004, 01:04 PM
I have never tried to count how long fresh batteries stay good for me. Probably 2 months or so. Then, battery life is not my main concern, but weight is...

delfuhd
10-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Just a little suggestion, buy some of those rechargable Nickel batteries for Digital Cameras. I have those in each of my electronic appliances (CD Player, Digital camera, and in my Logitech Optical mouse) and these things last for a looooooooong time. I realyl can't remember the last time I bought batteries, these things are amazing!

Just my little two cents..

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Just a little suggestion, buy some of those rechargable Nickel batteries for Digital Cameras. I have those in each of my electronic appliances (CD Player, Digital camera, and in my Logitech Optical mouse) and these things last for a looooooooong time. I realyl can't remember the last time I bought batteries, these things are amazing!

Just my little two cents..

It's a good idea, although if Prevost were to invest in this idea, it should be remembered that both Ni-Cad and Ni-MH batteries suffer from the "memory" effect, so recharging should only occur once battery life is fully depleted; otherwise the battery life will be significantly shortened with repeated use.

Prevost
10-21-2004, 06:59 PM
It's a good idea, although if Prevost were to invest in this idea, it should be remembered that both Ni-Cad and Ni-MH batteries suffer from the "memory" effect, so recharging should only occur once battery life is fully depleted; otherwise the battery life will be significantly shortened with repeated use.
Very good remark, DJ. I want to note that although I knew NiCad batteries had the charge memory effect, I wasn't aware of the NiMH suffering from the same effect.

Now, it makes me wonder, which kind of rechargeable batteries are supplied with Logitech's MX 700 and MX 900? I suppose those MUST BE of a kind free of charge memory effect (there are...I believed NiMH were those), since Logitech claim you can dock the mouse on the charger every time you like to, in order to keep it fully charged when you use it...

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Lithium-Ion (or commonly abbreviated as Li-Ion) is the technology you're after. This is the technology that the majority of mobile phones currently use. Interestingly, eons ago, Nokia used NiMH batteries, and it was funny how quickly the life of these batteries would zap. Li-Ion batteries have changed this.

Although, for the record, there are different types of Li-Ion and not all are rechargeable. So if you're looking to invest in Li-Ion batteries, be sure it's rechargeable. And another word of warning...they are pricey! Be sure you've established your "Help-Prevost-Buy-Batteries" charity fund before you head out to the store to buy them.

Prevost
10-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Are those THAT expensive??? 8O

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Well it is one of the most expensive battery technologies in the consumer market at the moment. But come to think of it, I don't even think you can get AAA Li-Ion batteries (well not that I recall anyway), so you may just have to stick with NiMH. There is a devious way of using other batteries but you kind of need to mod your mouse battery compartment and I'm not going to go into that. ;) Something could potentially go wrong. :roll:

Janak Parekh
10-24-2004, 04:21 AM
I've heard that some of the Logitech devices can only last for a couple of weeks before the batteries have to be replaced.
Perhaps, but the MX700/900 come with a recharging cradle. It's a far superior setup -- as long as you remember to dock the mouse, you won't need to change the batteries until they become too weak to hold a charge. I've had two of the 700s for over a year so far without any battery replacements, and that's what I like. :) And Prevost: they're NiMH. While they'll eventually collapse under the memory effect, this takes some time (much longer than NiCd). I haven't noticed it yet (I charge daily). Not sure if you could use Li-Ions with them.

But, the new MX1000 laser mouse (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=3,CONTENTID=9043) uses integrated Li-Ion, which should be even better if you don't mind the price point.

I'd pick either type of mouse over the Microsoft "keep a charger or extra batteries handy" model. They're also extremely high-resolution and very responsive. Recommended.

--janak

ChunkyMonkey
10-24-2004, 01:48 PM
...back to the batteries question. I have one of the first wireless mice from MS, it uses AA batteries not AAA. Just an FYI.

Prevost
10-24-2004, 06:48 PM
...back to the batteries question. I have one of the first wireless mice from MS, it uses AA batteries not AAA. Just an FYI.I do too, man, I was asking for the new model.

PetiteFlower
10-27-2004, 04:43 PM
I used to have an older Logitech mouse and now I have a MS mouse. I liked the logitech better (I especially liked the keyboard MUCH more then the MS version) but the battery life on the logitech SUCKED. I couldn't go more then 2 weeks before I'd start getting low battery warnings, and they would die after maybe 6 weeks. The MS mouse is much better with power consumption, it lasts several months before needing to be replaced/recharged. It may not be a full 6 but it's definitely more then 3. I do start getting warnings rather sooner but I ignore them, I have a freshly charged set ready and I don't switch them until the light goes out. I do use rechargable NiMh I believe, the disposable ones get expensive after a while, not to mention wasteful.

I'd like a mouse with the charging cradle but I don't need a new mouse now, I'll get a new one when this one (which is only a year old now) dies :)

Janak Parekh
10-27-2004, 05:01 PM
I liked the logitech better (I especially liked the keyboard MUCH more then the MS version) but the battery life on the logitech SUCKED.
Yeah - most wireless mice and keyboards in the past had terrible battery life, and that's why I waited for many years before getting my first cordless mouse. Even now, I still use a corded keyboard. ;)

--janak

CrashX
10-27-2004, 05:51 PM
...back to the batteries question. I have one of the first wireless mice from MS, it uses AA batteries not AAA. Just an FYI.
I do too, man, I was asking for the new model.
I have the new model wide the side scrolling, and it takes AA batteries, not AAA. If it helps, it's a Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 and came bundled with their wireless KB.

Prevost
10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
I have the new model wide the side scrolling, and it takes AA batteries, not AAA. If it helps, it's a Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 and came bundled with their wireless KB.
Uhmmm, the side scrolling it has, but I'm not sure, I think it is 4.0...later I'll see it at the retailer to confirm this.

Prevost
10-28-2004, 01:22 AM
Well, yes, it is the 2.0.

I think we need wireless mice powered by batteries the size of common calculators.

PetiteFlower
10-28-2004, 04:24 AM
Even now, I still use a corded keyboard. ;)

--janak

See now that's just silly. The reason the battery life on wireless mice is bad is because of the IR light which is always on even when you're not using it. I bet that old-style wireless ball mice had fine battery life. MS put in some good power management on their new mice that turns the light down about 90% when it's not actively being moved, I think that's what makes the difference.

Anyway I'd like to know what Prevost is doing with his mouse that it actually hurts his wrist to move it...unless he's got carpal tunnel or something. Even if it is on the heavy side a little, all you're doing is sliding it across the table! If it was TOO light then it wouldn't feel as substantial when you moved it, would feel kinda flimsy IMO.

Janak Parekh
10-28-2004, 03:42 PM
See now that's just silly.
No, it's not. Has nothing to do with battery life. The thing is, I don't move my keyboard around, so the cord doesn't get in the way. Not having to even have to think about batteries is really convenient, and finally, the last cordless keyboards I used a few years ago had terrible latency (I type fairly fast and am very sensitive to such things -- in fact, I can cause bugs in my Natural Pro keyboards to surface on certain words). I'm sure they've fixed that, but to me the device I move (the mouse) is more benefited. :)

--janak

Prevost
10-29-2004, 04:27 AM
Anyway I'd like to know what Prevost is doing with his mouse that it actually hurts his wrist to move it...unless he's got carpal tunnel or something. Even if it is on the heavy side a little, all you're doing is sliding it across the table! If it was TOO light then it wouldn't feel as substantial when you moved it, would feel kinda flimsy IMO.
Well, actually my problem is not in the wrist, but in my shoulder and middle back.

It's excessive stress sustained for all the time I keep moving the mouse, leading to a tiresome shoulder and back to the point of becoming painful for a day or more...

And, that excessive stress is due to the friction of the mouse on the mouse pad. I own a 3M Precise Mousing Surface from the time I had a ball mouse. I use it because it has a gel pillow for the wrist, but the friction is too much for a heavy mouse like this one.

I cannot mouse on the table since this mouse does not read accurately on it (strange being an irregularily detailed surface).

The only "solution" I found was to put a PIECE OF PAPER over the mouse pad (strange again - the mouse tracks perfectly over a plain white paper... :roll: ), but I had to quit it since the paper makes up for a too "fast" (slick) surface, taking away my precision.

Janak Parekh
10-29-2004, 05:51 AM
The only "solution" I found was to put a PIECE OF PAPER over the mouse pad (strange again - the mouse tracks perfectly over a plain white paper... :roll: ), but I had to quit it since the paper makes up for a too "fast" (slick) surface, taking away my precision.
Most modern mice work on a large variety of surfaces. Have you given thought to using the mouse on the table itself? My MX700 works perfectly in that configuration, and I've ditched the 3M Mousing Surface I had.

--janak

Prevost
10-29-2004, 05:56 AM
Well, as I just said :wink: , I already tried, but strangely the mouse doesn't track fine there...also that causes my wrist to "rest" on the desk's edge, what is very uncomfortable.

Darius Wey
10-29-2004, 06:01 AM
Well, as I just said :wink: , I already tried, but strangely the mouse doesn't track fine there...also that causes my wrist to "rest" on the desk's edge, what is very uncomfortable.

This may sound ludicrous, but have you ever read the Microsoft Healthy Computing Guide bundled with their drivers? I don't know if it will help rid you of the aches and pains, but you never know. :D

Janak Parekh
10-29-2004, 06:04 AM
Sorry, missed that.

A couple of points on that note:

1. The "newer" mice are much more robust on a larger variety of tables.

2. I use the mouse a bit "further back", so as to avoid putting pressure on my wrist.

3. The 3M mousing surface is very, very thin... doesn't your wrist still feel pressure?

4. In general, cordless mice are going to be heavier. If it ends up that weight is a critical issue, and you can't find a lower-friction solution, corded is a default option to consider.

--janak

Prevost
10-29-2004, 06:05 AM
:oops: I didn't know that exists...I'll take a look :mrgreen:

Prevost
10-29-2004, 06:11 AM
2. I use the mouse a bit "further back", so as to avoid putting pressure on my wrist.

3. The 3M mousing surface is very, very thin... doesn't your wrist still feel pressure?

4. In general, cordless mice are going to be heavier. If it ends up that weight is a critical issue, and you can't find a lower-friction solution, corded is a default option to consider.

--janak
Well, I use a 3M mouse pad (the thickness is that of a regular mouse pad) which surface is also like the mousing surface you are talking about (I know that too, I used to own one of them). Also this pad has a gel wrist rest.

And, I'm not sure if I would need to go back to a corded mouse, but I don't like the idea. I'll try a different way of seating...

Janak Parekh
10-29-2004, 06:19 AM
Well, I use a 3M mouse pad (the thickness is that of a regular mouse pad) which surface is also like the mousing surface you are talking about (I know that too, I used to own one of them). Also this pad has a gel wrist rest.
Ah, I didn't know 3M made one of those. That sounds pretty neat... although I've been so much happier using my MX700 on the wooden-ish surfaces I have at home and work, I'm not going back to a mousepad. I only need to clean the pads on the bottom of the mouse once every few weeks. It's perfectly accurate.

And, I'm not sure if I would need to go back to a corded mouse, but I don't like the idea. I'll try a different way of seating...
True, it's hard to give up cordless. ;)

--janak