View Full Version : Ring a ding ding

hashemc
10-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can find information on how to create my own ringtones for the PPCPE? It doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult, I'm just not sure how to capture part of a song or sound in order to do so. :oops: Any help would be greatly appreciated. 8)

Thanks!

dean_shan
10-19-2004, 11:24 PM
You could use a MIDI program and make a .mid file for your phone.

hashemc
10-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Thanks dean_shan, is there a MIDI program you can recommend for this?

dean_shan
10-20-2004, 01:04 AM
What system do you use, Mac or Windows?

Darius Wey
10-20-2004, 01:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you also use WMAs as ringtone files as well?

hashemc
10-20-2004, 01:31 PM
@dean_shan - Thanks for responding, I'm using Windows XP.

@DJ Apod - Yes, I believe you can use WMA files and I'd actually prefer to use these if possible.

Another question:
Assuming I create my own ringtones, would I be able to assign specific ringtones to specific contacts or would I need some sort of 3rd party application?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

:beer:

Darius Wey
10-20-2004, 01:43 PM
All you need to cut clips of your favourite tunes is any good audio editing program. Even Microsoft's free Windows Media Encoder does this.

ctmagnus
10-20-2004, 09:32 PM
I forget the name of the app, but it was bundled with my SoundBlaster something-or-other series soundcard. I've used it to make alarms for my Pocket PC, from 40MB+ wavs ripped from CDs. I've gotta give WME a whirl.

dean_shan
10-21-2004, 01:32 AM
@dean_shan - Thanks for responding, I'm using Windows XP.

@DJ Apod - Yes, I believe you can use WMA files and I'd actually prefer to use these if possible.

Oh ok well in that case you probably don't want use MIDI. MIDI would be good to use if you wanted to make your own custom song. If you want to use an already made song you are better off trimming down a WMA file.

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 03:08 AM
I forget the name of the app, but it was bundled with my SoundBlaster something-or-other series soundcard. I've used it to make alarms for my Pocket PC, from 40MB+ wavs ripped from CDs. I've gotta give WME a whirl.

Creative Audio Recorder?

Basically, a lot of audio applications do the same thing. I can name some here. Most are not freeware, but if you just happen to have it lying around, consider yourself lucky.

Nero Burning ROM 6 (the Wave Editor program inside the suite), Sony Sound Forge, Sony ACID, and I'm sure if you head over to SourceForge, you can find a bundle of programs that do it too.

jeisner
10-21-2004, 05:13 AM
To assign individual contact ringtones try an application from MTUX called ringtoneX

darrylb
10-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you also use WMAs as ringtone files as well? Unless the new WM2k3SE device can - I think you are stuck withseither MIDi or WAV files.

I have an old copy of cooledit, which I use. Unfortunately, the company that made it was bought out by adobe. It is pretty good though

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you also use WMAs as ringtone files as well? Unless the new WM2k3SE device can - I think you are stuck withseither MIDi or WAV files.

I have an old copy of cooledit, which I use. Unfortunately, the company that made it was bought out by adobe. It is pretty good though

You may be right. Nevertheless, with WAV files, there is better sound quality, and the whole concept about clipping files still applies.

I've actually compared Adobe Audition and Cool Edit, and the UI is exactly the same. Basically, it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. :P

hashemc
10-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you also use WMAs as ringtone files as well?

@DJ Apod - Thanks for the tip I downloaded Media Encoder and have started making my own ringtones - cool 8)

@ jeisner - Thanks for the tip on Mtux software, I'll have to check it out. Have you tried it, if so what are your impressions?

Also, thanks for everyone's input on this subject! :D