View Full Version : Going both ways - Palm & PPC that is

ppcmw
10-19-2004, 03:38 AM
Current status - Desktop w/ broadband and a regular cell phone for making & taking calls. I been researching for month's with my mind set on a PPC. I'm in NJ and Verizon has excellent coverage on the East Coast. My first plan was to keep my phone for calls and get the Samsung I700 PPC PE with an unlimited data plan but that product is behind in the times. From there I said ok there are a lot of PPC's on the market but Verizon only carries a few. I could get one of their phones that has BT to connect any PPC to the net but from what I understand that would be a dial up connection which is much slower that if I used the Samsung i700 phone edition on their unlimited data plan. Then my friend said he has the Treo 600 that he is pleased with so after some research I found that their is a Treo 650 coming soon with a 320 x 320 screen, BT ( no wifi ), more memory etc...Now I can replace my phone with the 650, add Mapopolis GPS, Splash - shopper,photo,money&ID - but... I plan to set up a wifi network in my house and since the Treo 650 does not have wifi I will get the Dell Axim 30 - 624Mhz to jump on the net from anywhere in the house. None of my choices are written in stone so feedback is needed if anyone has a better idea but remember I will be using Verizon as my carrier.

whydidnt
10-19-2004, 04:05 AM
If you prefer the PPC platform to Palm, then the V710 from Verizon, comined with an X30 or similar should get you where you want to go. The V710 has bluetooth and can be used as a modem for a bluetooth enabled PPC. It should also use the higher speed Verizon network, not dial-up in this mode. This means your internet access speed will be the same as if you owned the Treo.

I also wonder how long it will be before Verizon offers the Treo 650, since they only recently began offering the Treo 600.

There is also a rumored new PPCPE device coming to Verizon soon, but apparently the no WiFi is included.