View Full Version : Agile Messenger 3.0 Pocket PC 2003 BETA Released

Pat Logsdon
10-18-2004, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.agilemobile.com/agile_messenger.html' target='_blank'>http://www.agilemobile.com/agile_messenger.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Agile Messenger is the most feature rich and versatile Instant Messenger for mobile phones on the market today. Agile Messenger is used daily by over 400,000 users and has been perfected based on feature requests and feedback from tens of thousands of users. No other mobile Instant Messenger is as mature and reliable as Agile Messenger. Agile Messenger is available for every networked hand held device that allows 3rd party software to be installed."</i><br /><br />Features include:<br /><br />• Sending and receiving instant messages<br />• Push to Talk<br />• Unicode and BIG5 support for international characters<br />• Split screen messaging interface<br />• Separate tabs for each conversation<br />• Conversation history<br />• Smiley support<br />• Automatic download and updating of the contact list<br />• Contact status information and presence management<br />• Adding, removing, renaming contacts<br />• Data usage counter<br />• Auto update downloader and installer<br />• Picture messaging with camera support<br />• "Today" plug-in (PocketPC)<br /><br />I attempted to use an earlier version of this software via T-Mobile GPRS and didn't have much luck. It looks like things have changed quite a bit since then! In fact, the developers seem to have gone on some sort of software development bender, updating things left and right and (dare I say it) <i>willy nilly</i>. Fortunately for us, all the updates seem to be pretty useful, aside from the automatic updater and installer. I'd rather update my software myself, thank you very much. Especially over a GPRS connection. Sadly, there's no Pocket PC screenshot, as Agile has decilined to provide one. Has anyone used this new version? Anyone used the old version and want functionality not included in the upgrade?

Pinnacle
10-18-2004, 11:40 PM
OK, installed the new version on my 6315...where's the picture messaging feature? I see it nowhere.

I personally don't see anything striking that differs from from version 2. It always worked pretty well for me.

gadi
10-18-2004, 11:59 PM
I have installed the latest beta and it freezes my ppc (toshiba e750/ppc2k2/wifi) most of the time. the prervious version did not display this behavior and worked fine.

cheerz

Gadi

azhiker
10-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Having something like this in PPC would be great, only one application to chat with those in various systems. So is anything like this in the works?

Having a wifi enabled PPC would make this a valuable piece of software!

Since gadi mentioned the beta freezes on PPC it may not be conducive to the PPC environment. So why not?

MaximumPDA
10-19-2004, 12:59 AM
The interface is much cleaner looking I think. I just installed it on my audiovox smt5600 smartphone.

I have trouble connecting sometimes, it just hangs there trying to connect and never does. This happened with the previous version too. Sometimes resetting the phone will allow it to connect. Of course this is beta.

I have only used it for a couple of days but when I’m connected I see a little speaker icon between the Menu and Send but you can’t click on it and active it. Could this be the push to talk feature?

--Bill

bucho
10-19-2004, 01:05 AM
BTW, the pusk-to-talk button is the camera button, but it's not configurable! Let's call this an "early" BETA... It still does everything that the 2.0 version did and it looks a little nicer, so I'm keeping it installed for now.

hotweiss
10-19-2004, 08:45 AM
Is there a PPC instant messenger that supports "ink"? I had a tablet PC and I loved scribbling messages instead of typing them?

If it doesn't exist I can't see this as being difficult to implement; and now that most have MSN 6 you'll have no compatibility problems.

jlp
10-19-2004, 01:50 PM
OT: have your seen their Lie Detector?? :D

Jason Lee
10-19-2004, 04:01 PM
It works exactly like version 2.0 but has new graphics. I don't think all, or any, of the new features are there yet. Works fine on my 2215. It definetly beats installing all those seperate messengers. The only bothersom thing is that it turns on your backlight and you cannot turn it off until you close the program. This happened in the first version of 2.0 but they soon changed it due to complaints. And it works better with an external keyboard now. Before if you closed the SIP the box for you to type in went away too! lol But it stays put now so you can use a keyboard and not have to have the on screen one in the way. Great program. I'm looking forward to some of these new features.

http://batcave.smsu.edu/images/agile1.png

http://batcave.smsu.edu/images/agile3.png

http://batcave.smsu.edu/images/agile2.png

Pat Logsdon
10-19-2004, 05:21 PM
FYI: I have inadvertently discovered that the Voice Recorder button is the trigger for the "Push to Talk" feature. At least, that's the case on my 4150. I have that button mapped to an image capture program on my PPC, and when I pressed it to get a screen shot of a completely different program, it activated the "Push to Talk" feature in Agile Messenger. 8O

You have been warned. :wink:

Darius Wey
10-19-2004, 05:32 PM
You have been warned. :wink:

Haha...last thing you would want is the other party eavesdropping on your private vocal conversations when you are totally unaware of what's happening! Especially if you're talking about them! ;)

Jason Lee
10-19-2004, 05:56 PM
hmmm.. I do not see a speaker button. And my 2215 doesn't have a record button. I've noticed nothing about push to talk in the program... I just installed it yesterday.. is there a newer version already? Their site is horrible about version numbers. So is their software. When i go to about it says it is version 15 or 16, something like that. Not version 3.xx. :roll:

Edit: Oh.. ok I reread. The speaker shows up on the smartphone version not the PPC version. :oops:

Pat Logsdon
10-19-2004, 06:20 PM
hmmm.. I do not see a speaker button. And my 2215 doesn't have a record button. I've noticed nothing about push to talk in the program...
To clarify, there is no indication in any of the menus that Push to Talk is even a feature, nor is there anything to indicate that it's running when it's running, nor does there seem to be a way to turn it off. Not great, but the work-around is obvious - just don't press the record or camera button when the program is running. :roll:

I just installed it yesterday.. is there a newer version already? Their site is horrible about version numbers. So is their software. When i go to about it says it is version 15 or 16, something like that. Not version 3.xx. :roll:
The version I installed yesterday is AM-PPC2003-16.

MaximumPDA
10-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Thats lame, i dont have a record button on the SMT5600. i also dont see a way to map a button.

--Bill

Jason Lee
10-19-2004, 07:02 PM
yep, same problem with the HP 2200's, no record button...

Pat Logsdon
10-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Thats lame, i dont have a record button on the SMT5600. i also dont see a way to map a button.
You can map a hardware button by tapping Start, then Settings, then Button. Maybe if you map a button to "Recorder", you can use the "Push to Talk" feature? The Recorder app should be installed on all PPCs, regardless of button configuration.

Pat Logsdon
10-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Loving the Today Screen plug-in. I can keep my tasks and appointments visible and see at a glance both how many of my contacts are online and if I have any messages. 8)

Small memory footprint is nice as well, and it works great over GPRS. :D

MaximumPDA
10-19-2004, 07:28 PM
You can map a hardware button by tapping Start, then Settings, then Button. Maybe if you map a button to "Recorder", you can use the "Push to Talk" feature? The Recorder app should be installed on all PPCs, regardless of button configuration.

Yeah, that's the first thing i looked for, but i dont see 'Button'. This being my first smartphone is that a system app that is on other models? it's on PPC of course.

Jason Lee
10-19-2004, 08:02 PM

Yes! It works. if you map record to any button it starts the push to talk stuff. Strange that they maped it to a function instead of a physical button like games do. I would prefer to choose to map it to a button since i never have record mapped... but that's why it is in beta. :)

MaximumPDA
10-19-2004, 11:19 PM
I figured it out!!! press the action button on the joystick/directional pad on the Audiovox SMT5600 smartphone. That starts the recording and stops it when your done...just pres send and your all set!

MaximumPDA
10-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Of course it doesnt work right LOL. just sends static...doesnt seems to activate the mic on the device. Should be cool when they get it working!

MultiMatt
10-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Curious if anyone has compared this app to IM+ by Shape Services (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=6CA26X1E5CCX872ABCEF22X8D9249B17&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&amp;sectionId=0&productId=122176)...

One of our Pocket PC Louisville members lives for IM+, yet I don't think he has used Agile Messenger, so I don't know how they compare.

IM+ is steep ($29) though, especially compared to Agile Messenger being FREE....! :roll:

Matt

bnycastro
10-21-2004, 07:29 AM
I don't really care for PTT... What I really like is that you can now use a thumb board to input your messages (this was not possible in the previous versions) this makes messaging easier and faster :)

Some trouble connecting though but a soft reset will usually clear things up... I have tried it both for USB-sync and BT Activesync Pass Thru here at work... Have yet to try it on WiFi (maybe later tonight at home) and BT GPRS (still can't get my Nokia 7610 to communicate with my iPAQ 2210 as a modem)

This app is way better than IM+ because it is simple and easy to use. Also I had trouble with IM+ when atleast one of my contacts in yahoo had "I'm on SMS" as status it would not connect.

Also Agile is free and you cna't beat that :P

MultiMatt
10-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Well I went ahead and installed Agile, and while I still have not used IM+ to compare, I must say I'm impressed with Agile!
I'm using an i700, and the connection is really zippy! I was amazed to see how fast all three lists (MSN, AOL, Yahoo) loaded!

One "bug" that I noticed is that if you tap on the white space in the scroll bar to advance it, nothing happens. You have to either use the arrows, or grab the scroll bar and move it. Not a major thing, but I tend to use the "tap on the white space" technique a lot on my device...

Regardless, a pretty darned impressive app, for FREE! :D

Matt

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 01:47 PM
One "bug" that I noticed is that if you tap on the white space in the scroll bar to advance it, nothing happens. You have to either use the arrows, or grab the scroll bar and move it. Not a major thing, but I tend to use the "tap on the white space" technique a lot on my device...

As it is a beta version, it would probably be a good idea to submit these bug reports to the company. Hopefully, they can rectify it for the official release. Just a thought. ;)

MultiMatt
10-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Already did! 8)

Matt