View Full Version : 22xx no longer charges

doc
10-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Before I send my 2210 back to HP for expesive service I thought I'd see if anyone here has experienced the same problems I'm having. In a nutshell, the 2210 will no longer charge when in the cradle and synced/connected.

I have two OEM chargers, two sync & go cables (one of them powered), and the OEM powered cradle. The iPAQ will not charge, but it will sync up just fine.

If I pull the battery out of the iPAQ it will charge using the Aux port on the cradle. But I can't do this for long since this drains the backup battery.

I've tried both a soft and hard reset and both times it did not fix the problem. I've also examined the contacts in the battery comparment and everything looks to be ok.

Does anyone have any other ideas what might be causing this?

wxboss
10-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Even though the battery seems to charge just fine in the aux slot, you must remember that it is not powering or operating the 2215, so the battery may appear to charge better because there isn't a load on it.

It sounds like to me that the battery is dead (or on it's last legs). I'd try another battery before sending it off.

doc
10-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Just went out to CompUSA and picked up a new battery for $50. That still didn't fix it :(

Looks like I'll be heading back for the return.

wxboss
10-19-2004, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear that doc. I hope you can still return the replacement battery if you don't want to keep it for a back up.

It's possible that the charging circuits in the 2215 itself have gone bad, but usually the battery will be the guilty culprit as the solid state circuits in the 2215 will generally last longer and be more reliable.

I generally try to eliminate the simple, more obvious possibilities when troubleshooting before tackling more costly and serious ones.

Sorry to hear that didn't take care of it.

doc
10-25-2004, 07:15 PM
Since I griped about this issue here, it's only fair that I follow up. HP sent me an empty box to ship my 22xx out to them last week. They told me that they'd let me know the cost to fix this within 5 business days after they received it. The warranty lapsed in July :(

I mailed it back to them Thursday 10/21. They sent me an email saying it was received on Friday 10/22. Well, 7 PM that Friday I get an email telling me that the unit shipped from the Repair Depot :?

Today, I got it back in perfect working order with a new system board put in, no charge 8O I'm floored!

Makes me feel guilty that I ordered a Dell X50v instead of the 4705. I can only hope that Dell's service is as wonderful as my experience with HP.