View Full Version : Partitioning an SD Card?

Ultima
10-17-2004, 03:40 PM
I just picked up a 1GB SD card, after about a year of drooling over them. During that year, they were first to expensive, then I got off the PocketPC bandwagon and got back on when the 6315 came out... Anyway, I got a simple question.

I would like to use my 1GB SD card for demoing digital cameras at my workplace, which is no problem. It of course will live in my Pocket PC. I have had cameras do some extremely funky things to the way my files are organized on my SD card. My personal favorite was the HP camera that somehow renamed all my folders on the card to "A", "B", "C".... and to avoid having something similarly wacky happen again, I was wondering if there was a method of partitioning an SD card.

My thought is to make a 64 Meg partition or so on the card as partitition 1, and that the rest would be used for my Pocket PC stuff. The cameras are probably only smart enough to read the first partition, and thus I wouldn't have to worry (too much) about stuff being pasted all over my SD card, or my files being renamed, etc.

WinXP Pro's Disk Management doesn't allow for this sort of setup, and I was wondering if there was any way of doing it.

mscdex
10-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Even if you were able to, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. This is because I doubt any digital camera out there is able to choose between what partitions to save pictures to and the like. Another thing is I've never seen a partitioned SD or any memory card for that matter, being used in a PocketPC.

I've had a few digital cameras myself, but no problems like the ones you describe. Just about every one I've had, it will create its own folder (usually something like "DCIM" something something, or similar) and store the photos in there and leave the rest of the files on the card alone.

Ultima
10-17-2004, 05:52 PM
I figured that the cameras would work similar to CD players with multisession disks, they would read the first partition. I really don't see any readon my a PocketPC couldn't handle multiple partitions.

It was an HP Photosmart 850 camera that did it, the (at the time) pride and joy of the HP rep that worked our store occasionally. It peeved him off to no end that after it happened, I would not let him borrow my SD card for demoing the camera and the printers, but I would let the Kodak rep borrow it.

Good times, good times. :)

Gareth Lock
10-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Most digital cameras will only save info in a folder which they create eg my Fuji S2 Pro has one folder DCIM/100_FUJI/ and then the files which I have shot. If you do not have this file/folder structure the camera will ask to format the card giving you this folder structure. If you want to play with several cameras you will need to make a note of their folders and create them manually and then each camera will save its info in its own folder.....if that makes sense!!

Regards

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk