View Full Version : backup sw for 4700

jpf
10-15-2004, 11:29 PM
I'm having a lousy time with my new 4700. I'd like to be able to back up specific things like contacts and tasks. I'm new to PI too so I'm not sure if it's possible within PI itself.
But, is Sprite able to do this? I don't really want to back up everything unless I can choose specifically what to restore.

Thanks for anyone's input.

Don Tolson
10-16-2004, 12:04 AM
You can tell Sprite to backup only specific files if you want, or just the PIM stuff (Contacts, Tasks, Appts, etc.) or everything. It's a pretty complete tool.

I believe there's a 'try before you buy' program for it.

Also, I think the iPAQ Backup that came with the 4700 is an earlier version of Sprite Backup.

jpf
10-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Thanks for that.
I ran a full backup to my sd card and tried a hard reset and restore.
Activesync still refused to work, so I reset again and was able to restore just the contacts, tasks, etc which I'm happy about.
The rest I'll reinstall, hopefully without losing activesync again.
I decided for $8 with the upgrade/coupon, getting the upgrade for sprite backup was a wise move. Backup to PC sounds nice, not sure about the monitor thing though.

jpf
10-16-2004, 01:50 AM
I immediately followed by installing dinarsoft switcher and memmaid.
I'll be damned if the thing didn't hard reset itself after refusing to switch back on for a minute...

<vent> This is very annoying :evil: </vent>

ctmagnus
10-16-2004, 02:37 AM
I'm not pointing fingers here, but I've had hard-reset issues after a fresh install of MemMaid as well. Fortunately, I had started doing full backups before installing any new software to my precious.

jimski
10-16-2004, 03:51 AM
I had problems with several Today screen plug-ins on my 4700 (no hard resets) before finding upgrades or replacements. Although WisBar2 (the only Task Manager that would work for me) was recently tweaked for the 4700, I still will not let it launch automatically on soft reset, fearing a lockup necessitating a hard reset. Yes, I am backing up often.

DinarSoft
10-16-2004, 01:41 PM
I immediately followed by installing dinarsoft switcher and memmaid.
I'll be damned if the thing didn't hard reset itself after refusing to switch back on for a minute...

<vent> This is very annoying :evil: </vent>

If ActiveSync is not working this might be because you deleted its entry in the notification queue , did you ?
To recover from this do the following,
= using MemMaid, go to the notification queue tab
= tap "add..."
= in the program section type replog.exe
= in the event drop down select "an rs232 connection is made"
= tap "add"
= close MemMaid

Now try connecting your PPC to your PC again and ActiveSync should work

jpf
10-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Activesync would start on both PPC and PC then close down almost immediately after showing the connected/hidestatus dialog. The status bar icon would also close and activesync would no longer be listed in running tasks.
I didn't mess with what you mentioned in memmaid. I was more inclined to point the finger at sprite backup to be honest. I know that's had some isssues with today plugins on the 4700.

Anway, if I delete the partnership and just use guest then the connection stays up. I've just created a partnership with a new name (I'd been trying to delete/use the old one before) and that has not crashed out either.

jpf
10-16-2004, 04:09 PM
@jimski
I know the wisbar developer (chris?) is working on the incompatibilites with the 4700 and has brought out several updates. So keep checking for .x version updates.
It strikes me though that independent developers and fixing faults in what I could call a 'poorly tested' 4700 rom image which should have been addressed more thoroughly by HP in the first place.