View Full Version : We need companies to sell Handheld devices running the new pocket pc os

primaz
10-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Many business users like myself have tried all the pocketpc's yet they do not do the job; and that is why many of us still use our HPC's like the HP Jornada 728 and wait for something to upgrade. I tried a pocket pc with keyboard that that does not work. I need a device that can perform laptop functions that will fit in a suit jacket like my HP 728 does. What the HP 728 lacks is a better TFT screen, more memory, a SD slot, newer processors, and if the thickness and or weight can be improved that would be fantastic. There is room for multiple form factors. Pocket pc palm size works great for some but others need larger devices.

SteveHoward999
10-15-2004, 10:30 PM
What about an OQO then?

http://www.oqo.com/

Fishie
10-16-2004, 02:29 AM
2000$ and batterylife of an houre?
No thanks.

I found what I wanted in the Sigmarion3

Stephen Beesley
10-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Many business users like myself have tried all the pocketpc's yet they do not do the job; and that is why many of us still use our HPC's like the HP Jornada 728 and wait for something to upgrade. I tried a pocket pc with keyboard that that does not work. I need a device that can perform laptop functions that will fit in a suit jacket like my HP 728 does. What the HP 728 lacks is a better TFT screen, more memory, a SD slot, newer processors, and if the thickness and or weight can be improved that would be fantastic. There is room for multiple form factors. Pocket pc palm size works great for some but others need larger devices.

I have never owned a clamshell style PDA - being a big fan of HWR since my Newton days - but I have always liked the look of the HP clamshell devices going back as far as their old DOS based ones. I also really liked the Psion 5/5mx series of handhelds and came very close to buying one before eventually deciding on the PPC camp where I have been ever since.

Despite having used a PPC for about 4 years now and finding that with a folding keyboard it has been a great travelling companion I can definately see the attraction of an all in one package if it was the right size - as I think the HP 6xx and 7xx series along with the Psions are. An update of either of those devices (I particularly liked the Psion's sliding keyboard design) with a newer OS, high res screen and built in wifi and BT would definatly attract my attention. Indeed it would probaby attract my hard earned cash. I for one have never been one of the PPC cohort who see smaller size as everything (after carting a Newton around for some years No PPC or even HPC seems that big to me!) and would certainly trade off a bigger device for the extra functionality.

I likd the look of the Shapr Zaurus line of Linux PDAs especially the SL-C860 and new SL-C3000 (which is shown on Endgadget's site (http://engadget.com/entry/9534321442142743/). If only sharp would just make these available in Europe (whithout haveing to get one imported from Japan) at a reasonable price. These are sort of inovative designs I would love to see come out with a Windows Mobile OS.