View Full Version : Carrier Devices To Release CDMA i-Mate PDA2k

Janak Parekh
10-15-2004, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=3521' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=3521</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Carrier Devices distributes Taiwan-made HTC devices under the brand name i-mate, and its next release is the i-mate PDA2K EVDO, a Windows Mobile based Pocket PC Phone Edition compatible with CDMA 1xRTT and EV-DO networks (800/1900MHz). Like the GSM/GPRS version (called simply i-mate PDA2k, but also available as T-Mobile MDAIII, Vodafone PVAIII, O2 XDA IIIi) this one also comes with Bluetooth, but without the wireless LAN. gpsOne (assisted GPS) is part of the bundle, and the phone part is capable of Caller Id, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting and Conference call (3 way call). It's also capable of switched circuit data (9.6kbps) and SMS (MT/MO)."</i><br /><br />This unit is also known as the HTC Harrier, and contains all of the features of the HTC Blue Angel except it doesn't have Wi-Fi (which is mitigated somewhat thanks to the speedy 1xEV-DO technology). Rumors have been circulating for the last few months that Verizon and Sprint in the US will be carrying this device as well, but I have yet to hear an official announcement. Rest assured I will report on it as soon as I do; in the meantime, it's good to see interest in this device slowly increase. If only the names weren't so confusing. :|

ikesler
10-15-2004, 05:30 PM
I hate to say it but count Sprint out........... they screw this stuff up all the time............ :cry:

Deus
10-15-2004, 06:15 PM
I agree. Sprint rarel makes good decisions with their product line. If they do get it however, and do not charge ridiculous amounts for data. I cannot see me without this device!

beq
10-16-2004, 06:13 PM
If only the names weren't so confusing. :|
Just curious, I'm trying to nail down the names so I'll know what to look for. Your quote mentioned O2 XDA IIIi, but a couple of front page blurbs below Marlof mentioned XDA IIs and IIi?

spacehog
10-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Janak, just fyi, this device was released already by carrier devices about a week ago during the Dubai based Gitex trade show. The imate Jam (which most people outside of Dubai know as the HTC Magician, will be released locally during the 1st week of november, at an expected retail price of $705.

the pda2k, as the imate3 is called here, is currently priced at $880.