View Full Version : hx4700 Theme, anyone?

Derek
10-13-2004, 08:42 PM
I searched the net, browsed the forum, and it seems that I am the only person that wants the lovely theme pre-installed on the hx4700 (The theme with the globe).

Can anyone provide me with this theme?

Thanks in advance :devilboy:

OSUKid7
10-13-2004, 09:58 PM
I would imagine that's copyrighted. Not gonna stop some people, but I don't think it's legal to redistribute that.

Darius Wey
10-14-2004, 12:49 AM
If you really wanted the theme, you could head down to your local tech store and just beam it across to your device.

jpjehu
10-14-2004, 04:22 AM
If you really wanted the theme, you could head down to your local tech store and just beam it across to your device.

Great point - if you can't get it that way email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you. I don't think something so miniscuel (sp?) could be that illegal.

jpjehu
10-14-2004, 04:23 AM
plus, you're using an ipaq and should be able to show off a HP theme.

OSUKid7
10-14-2004, 04:31 AM
Well, I don't know for sure, but copyright laws are very specific. The problem is, most people (including myself!) don't know the specifics. Nothing's going to happen if you "steal" the theme, but then again, nothing happens when you steal an mp3. Afterall, you do own an mp3 player, so why can't you just copy the song? :grumble:

alright alright, done ranting about anti-piracy for another day...

jpjehu
10-14-2004, 05:47 AM
how do we know for sure that a theme file sharing is piracy? microsoft actually designed the ppc software to 'beam' - aka share - themes. bottom-line, they don't make money on the themes and therefore can't be construed as a hurtful or financially damaging event. for the music files - you are getting for free something that you should specifically be paying for. not so with ppc themes.

OSUKid7
10-14-2004, 05:54 AM
how do we know for sure that a theme file sharing is piracy? microsoft actually designed the ppc software to 'beam' - aka share - themes. bottom-line, they don't make money on the themes and therefore can't be construed as a hurtful or financially damaging event. for the music files - you are getting for free something that you should specifically be paying for. not so with ppc themes.I said I'm not sure! I don't want to get into a big debate here, but some theme designers do charge for their themes. Unless HP specifically states that you can redistribute the themes, it's standard intelectual propery. They may very well say you can redistribute the themes, I DON'T KNOW! :lol:

And your argument for Microsoft designing the Pocket PC to share themes: email is "specifically designed" to share (attach) files. FTP is designed to transfer files. Does that mean you share a copy of Windows, an mp3, a PPC theme? Not unless the IP owner allows it.

Really though, I know piracy takes place, and I doubt anyone would care if you copied a theme. But that doesn't make it any less illegal.

Just food for thought. :)

delfuhd
10-14-2004, 02:52 PM
It's like in the Shawshank Redemption, when Red finally gets parole, and then breaks it and heads down to Mexico to help Andy with his boat and hotel. He says, in his letter back to the inmates, something along the lines of "I don't think they'll put up any roadblocks for an old guy like me"
True it didn't really matter, since we all knew Red wasn't going to do anything again, but it doesn't make his actions any less legal...

Just thought I'd stick that in there :wink:

ironguy
10-14-2004, 04:30 PM
I don't think something so miniscuel (sp?) [sic] could be that illegal.

This is quite the statement! So where is the line drawn? If I go into a bank and steal a nickel, is that not illegal? Is downloading a very short copyrighted song illegal?

In both cases, as well as the 4700 theme, if the owner decided to do something about it, you could face charges. Will it happen? Not very likely. In fact, I'm surprised the theme is readily available from HP.

OK, fire away...

Derek
10-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Well, you can say what you want. But as said above, I own a HP, so I think I have some right on that theme :lol:

jpjehu: Thank you :D

Edit: jpjehu: you're addy is dead?

OSUKid7
10-14-2004, 08:25 PM
This is quite the statement! So where is the line drawn? If I go into a bank and steal a nickel, is that not illegal? Is downloading a very short copyrighted song illegal?

In both cases, as well as the 4700 theme, if the owner decided to do something about it, you could face charges. Will it happen? Not very likely. In fact, I'm surprised the theme is readily available from HP.That's EXACTLY what I was trying to say. 8)