View Full Version : 5555 -> 4700?

Jerry Raia
10-13-2004, 04:39 PM
I was thinking of moving up to the 4700 but after reading some of these threads it sounds like a bad move. Is anyone having positive experiances with it?

Darius Wey
10-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Well...what needs do you have for the upgraded device?

Jerry Raia
10-13-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm just a gadget freak :lol:

Darius Wey
10-13-2004, 05:02 PM
LOL! Aren't we all? :lol:

But on a more serious note, read my opinion here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33244&highlight=) on upgrading your device to a WM2003SE one. Bear in mind that this is my opinion only. If you want to go ahead with upgrading, there's nothing wrong with that, although if I were in your shoes, I'd personally be saving my dollars for something better in the future, and hopefully something that won't be clouded with so much controversy on software updates too.

Jerry Raia
10-13-2004, 05:09 PM
You make good points, it does make more sense to wait for the next big upgrade rather than take this little one. I still do like my 5555. :)

I just have to avoid seeing one in a store and I'll be ok :mrgreen:

Darius Wey
10-13-2004, 05:15 PM
You make good points, it does make more sense to wait for the next big upgrade rather than take this little one. I still do like my 5555. :)

I just have to avoid seeing one in a store and I'll be ok :mrgreen:

Haha...oh believe me...I've seen plenty of WM2003SE devices in stores and the temptation has certainly been very high on the scale...but I've held out thus far, and have trained my body to avoid suffering ill-effects from my "ignorance". :P

Brad Adrian
10-13-2004, 05:35 PM
I personally don't see anything in the 4700 that I can't live without. My 4100 does pretty much everything I need, so I'm going to wait and see how the v50 fares.

Orang98
10-15-2004, 08:52 AM
well, 4700 is still new in the market and it is one the PPC that has the highest specs(Procs 600 MhZ i think) among the other PPC (Procs 400 MhZ)

Oh ya, currently i don't have PPC right now. Thinking to get one. Is it recommended to get this????Since it's just launched and i think the price is a bit high. any comments???

Darius Wey
10-15-2004, 09:33 AM
well, 4700 is still new in the market and it is one the PPC that has the highest specs(Procs 600 MhZ i think) among the other PPC (Procs 400 MhZ)

Oh ya, currently i don't have PPC right now. Thinking to get one. Is it recommended to get this????Since it's just launched and i think the price is a bit high. any comments???

If you're looking at high-end PPC devices, certainly do not keep your target range only to HP. Asus have their MyPal A730, and Dell have their X50v. Fujitsu also have their Loox 720.

jpf
10-16-2004, 01:58 AM
I'd hold off on an upgrade to a 4700. If I didn't know better I'd call it a POS. I've never had so many SW problems with a PPC before. It's almost to the point where it serves no useful purpose apart from an exercise in patience during numerous resets & re-installs.

petvas
10-16-2004, 02:13 AM
I have a 4700 and I am extremely happy with it...

Its the best ppc ever created. The screen is amazing and its very speedy. Having CF and SD is also great.

When I received my iPaq I had some issues with HP Protect Tools so I disabled them and everything runs fine. I had also installed Pocket Breeze on the iPaq File Store and that caused my device to be very slow. Reinstalling the app in RAM solved the issue.
The only issue I have to report is the bluetooth driver...After using WiFi for a couple of hours if I choose to enable Bluetooth an error message appears and I cannot enable Bluetooth. I have found a way to avoid a restart in order to solve it. I end all running programs and then I can enable Bluetooth without restarting...
Apart from this issue this device is very stable and I am happy with it. The touchpad is great also

Kati Compton
10-16-2004, 02:49 AM
I'd wait if I were you. If I had a 2003 device, I'd probably be waiting myself. I think I'm going to try to keep to an "every other OS/hardware innovation" model, but we'lll see - if the next OS is super-awesome and the X50v can't be upgraded, or if super-cool hardware comes out, I'll have to rethink my strategy. :P

(ps - for context, I have an X5 and ordered an X50v.)

Jerry Raia
10-16-2004, 06:11 AM
I'd wait if I were you. If I had a 2003 device, I'd probably be waiting myself. I think I'm going to try to keep to an "every other OS/hardware innovation" model, but we'lll see - if the next OS is super-awesome and the X50v can't be upgraded, or if super-cool hardware comes out, I'll have to rethink my strategy. :P

(ps - for context, I have an X5 and ordered an X50v.)

I'm inclined to agree with the "every other OS" philosophy :)

Darius Wey
10-16-2004, 06:16 AM
Ior if super-cool hardware comes out, I'll have to rethink my strategy. :P

Definitely. With all the new mobile graphics processors, USB "On-The-Go" technolgies, CPU technologies, etc. making a move onto the Pocket PC market, I can only imagine what the future has in store for us... Which is why I'm willing to wait. :)

Jerry Raia
11-03-2004, 09:23 AM
In a moment of terrible weakness, i bought the 4705.

I just couldnt help it! :dilemma:

ChristopherTD
11-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Congratulations Lasher.

Other 5550 owners (like me) who are sitting on the fence will be keen to hear what you think, particularly in the 5550/4700 comparison area!

Jerry Raia
11-03-2004, 04:29 PM
So far I have just reinstalled most of my apps and havent run too many of them yet. The rest of the time I am just staring at the display. It is so incredible. The sharpness, the brightness and the color are amazing.

I've almost forgotten how much it costs :devilboy:

ch_thom
11-06-2004, 03:11 AM
In a moment of terrible weakness, i bought the 4705.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying my 4700 which I bought last Tuesday. Upgraded from a 5550.

I'd hold off on an upgrade to a 4700. If I didn't know better I'd call it a POS. I've never had so many SW problems with a PPC before. It's almost to the point where it serves no useful purpose apart from an exercise in patience during numerous resets & re-installs.

I must admit it took me 2 days to sort out the software issues myself and involved 6 or so hard resets. However I've now got all my apps installed and it's running sweet.

I think the biggest problem is the change to VGA causes some of the apps to behave or install slightly differently. For instance MS Reader, which I use a lot, is unusable in 'Microsoft VGA' mode as none of the touchscreen commands work. If you switch to 'True VGA' using SE_VGA however it runs just like normal. It's actually very ironic that a Microsoft product only works properly in a screen resolution that isn't built into their own operating system!!

Anyway I've found that downloading the latest versions of my software, where available, has solved all of my issues and where no new version is available the old version works just fine. I have had to change the installation routine though, i.e. some apps I put in my 5550 filestore I've had to install in 4700 RAM or vice versa. this has left me with around 35MB free RAM and I know that some think this is tight but I've used WiFi, Bluetooth etc. and still haven't had any lock ups or driver errors as have been reported elsewhere. Guess I'm lucky and I hope it stays that way. :wink:

The main reason I had for buying the 4700 was the VGA and the landscape functionality. It's now possible for me to create, view and edit documents without having to carry a laptop. Once the HP Bluetooth keyboard is released here in the UK I'm going to compare it to the Stowaway and make a decision between them. In the meantime my old Compaq foldable keyboard (from my 3970) is doing just fine.

One final thing I would add is that, if you're not a gamer (and I'm not), the trackpad is great. When travelling home I can get on the train take out the 400 then switch to 'True VGA', fire up MS Reader and start reading all by switching navigation modes and without using the stylus or even opening the flip cover on the screen. :D

Cheers

strongbad6565
11-06-2004, 04:01 AM
I also have a 5555 and was thinking about upgrading to a 4700. But one thing is kinda important to me... the 5555 has a vibrate feature (although mine stopped working... :(), and I was wondering if the 4700 did too.

Jerry Raia
11-06-2004, 04:23 AM
The 4705 does not have the vibrate feature.

I also got all my apps working but have noticed some programs will not work with the VGA. Tengo for one but I contacted them and they are coming out with a new version by years end.

I have occasionally had to soft reset to get the bluetooth driver loaded and the memory can be a bit tight. Otherwise this is a thing of beauty. I'm glad I went for it.