View Full Version : Axim X50 now on Dell site

ShinyPlastic
10-12-2004, 01:31 PM
You can buy it now, $499 for the VGA version, estimated ship date 11/17 :(

There is a link on VGAPocketPC.com or you can be nice and wait for Jason to post his affiliate link here and help support his costs of running PocketPCThoughts :)

garretwp
10-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Is anyone happy with the 499 price tag? I know you get a lot in a pocket pc, but i was hoping the high end model would be cheaper. I guess ill just have to wait to replace my x5 when i can get more money and dell overs promotions for the device. :( WOuld be interesting to see how the device performs in performance. can the rom memory be used to intall your applications as you would do with the ram memory?

Garrett

ShinyPlastic
10-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Is anyone happy with the 499 price tag?

I am, it is $150 cheaper than the iPAQ hx4705 which has a similar spec (slightly larger screen, bigger battery, and faster IR and sync).

If you don't need VGA there will be lots of good deals on the X30 high now. It is currently $314 but has been as low as $265 with the right coupons.

Mark......

garretwp
10-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Ive been waiting ever since toshiba came out with there VGA pda to see what other companies come out with. As a satisfied dell customer of the x5, i was wating to see what dell had to offer for the bang for the buck. I guess ill have to get use to the price tag and save a few more bucks to get it. But ill wait maybe a month and see what people have to say about it and what kind of performance it has to offer. But i am deffinitly excited about this device as i have been waiting a long time for this. The specs are very nice indeed.

Garrett

Sven Johannsen
10-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Yea, that's a decent price. The nearest competitor (IMHO) the HP 4700 is listing for $649. I'd get some money together though, becuase Dell specials come and go and you want to be able to jump on one when it shows up....or wait a week when a better one happens ;)

Yes you can install programs to the ROM, but it acts more like a built in Flash than extended RAM. That means there are some things that may not work when installed there. Typically things like OS extensions (SIPs), or Today Screen add-ins. The problem is sometimes the ROM area not being quite 'up-to-speed' when the OS tries to load one of these things after a reset. If the Dell has 64M or more of this space for user use, you'll be surprised at how many programs you can put there, leaving the SD and CF slots totally free for data files and peripherals.

garretwp
10-12-2004, 02:52 PM
I have a couple big sd memory cards to use. I am realy glade dell brought back the cf slot as i have my ir extender to use with my remote control program and also have other memory cards laying around. In the future i want to purchase a gps card. So this will be a ideal upgrade from my x5, which ill give to my dad to use for his home theater and all his gadgets.

Garrett

Jason Dunn
10-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Affiliate buy code now live on the front page - thanks for the heads up Shinyplastic! :-) BTW, I have a review of the X50 coming up in a little less than four hours (when the press embargo lifts).

garretwp
10-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Jason,
You just got my heart racing lol. I am sure everyone will be excited to read the review when it gets posted.

Garrett

Matt Kitchen
10-12-2004, 05:05 PM
I think this is a very fair price. I do not know if it is low enough though to warrant an upgrade for me. My X30 serves me very well, and considering a don't have cash to blow, i do not really NEED the VGA, so i guess i will stick w/ my X30 for now... But the X50 does look like a great device and a worthy oponent to the other VGA devices out there!