View Full Version : Excitement City: The BenQ P50

marlof
10-11-2004, 01:00 PM
I really like all kinds of PDAs, and usually with the announcement of something new I wonder what that new gadget could do for me. But sometimes it goes beyond that, and I'm simply excited by any new info to be found about a particular device. I've had that with the Philips Magnavox Velo 1 (one of the original Windows CE 1 devices), the HP Jornada 548 (one of the original three Pocket PCs), the HP Jornada 928 (one of the original two Pocket PC Phone Editions), and the HP iPAQ 2215 (one of the smallest CF/SD expansion device up to date). These were devices where from the specs alone I knew that I would buy them. Of those, only the Jornada 928 let me down, since it simply wasn't reliable enough as a phone. Still the idea of a phone edition has always appealed to me, I just found the current selection either too weird looking or too big. This has turned me into a two device person, using a good BT phone (lately the Sony Ericsson T610) and a Pocket PC (the iPAQ 2215).<br /><br />But when about a year ago I saw the specs of a device built by one of the Pocket PC competitors, I was amazed. If only that thing would run Windows Mobile Software... In the end, when I needed to extend my contract and I could get this product for almost free, I couldn't help but order one to check it out. And although the OS still wouldn't be my OS of choice, I really was amazed by the form factor of this device. Sure, it didn't have a very good screen, but for my usage pattern it was sufficient. Sure, it lacked Bluetooth and WiFi. Sure, the camera was lousy. But the form factor had so much else going for it, like a built-in thumbboard while remaining pocketable in size. For me this form factor was close to ideal. The device I'm talking about? The Handspring/palmOne Treo 600 of course.<br /><br />But still, after using it for many months, I would trade this the minute it could be replaced by something similar running Windows Mobile Software. And when the BenQ P50 was sighted at the 2004 Cebit many months ago, I knew that day would come. A Treo like device that lost the antenna stub, that has a better screen resolution than the Treo, that has WiFi and Bluetooth, that has a 1.3 MP camera, that runs Windows Mobile Software? Where can I sign up for one? As I wrote <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,32203">before</a>, the problem was that for many months only the shell was seen, and the specs were told, but no reports were known of someone who had seen a working unit. Recently this has changed when a <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,33057">Taiwanese site</a> showed pictures of a working unit. And <a href="http://www.smartease.net/news_493.html">Smartease.net</a> has published a comparison picture of the P50 next to the iPAQ 2215, and a video of the shell, both taken at CEATEC in Japan. I guess this means we're getting close to the release date, and that I have arrived in Excitement City. BenQ, I'm having my credit card ready, so you can launch at will now. And I will still clean offices for a preview unit.

Jeff Song
10-11-2004, 01:46 PM
I am definitely with you on this one. I am waiting, credit card in hand, for the BenQ to be announced. I can't wait until some real reviews start to trickle out. I haven't been this excited about something since I first heard of my ipaq 4355 :D

Jonathon Watkins
10-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Thirded. I'm impressed with the specs and the unit looks GOOD. I await this one with interest.

Zack Mahdavi
10-11-2004, 02:08 PM
The specs are awesome and the unit looks great! I'm curious to see how the longer candy bar style feels compared to the Treo's squarier style. Most importantly, I can't wait to try this phone out! :)

huangzhinong
10-11-2004, 02:16 PM
This is what I am waiting for. Much better than the ugly MPx. :D

mv
10-11-2004, 02:43 PM
I like it... the screen is smaller than the XDA III, but iīm sure it will be cheaper, and also, i like better this form factor, with no moving parts.

phenderson
10-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Hmmm, I thought I was the only one...lol, obviously not. I am actually holding off from purchasing the Dell Axim x50i, just so that I can get my hands on the BENQ...p50. I sold my x30i last month and am waiting for the release of the p50.

Ryan Joseph
10-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I can't wait, either. It looks like an awesome device! My only reservation is that the screen is only 2.8". That's a little small, but it'll allow the whole device to be smaller. :wink:

I'm probably going to get either the x50 or the p50. The XDAIII is just way out of my price range. I want to stay with a Phone Edition device, but I want VGA. If the p50 is priced near the x50, I'll probably go with it.

Any official word on a possible release date?

thanos255
10-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I am sorry to say this, that looks like a decent device but nothing about it appeals to me.

I have the PDA2K on order and love the fact that the keyboard can be hidden. Am I worried about moving parts? Not really. From all th e reviews from people who have it already seem to say that is it nor something that moves with the flick or the wrist, so it is not going to open by mistake. But they say that there are no gaps in the case etc to allow dirt in. So with those comments. I am loving the thought of getting mine in.

Secondly, I need wifi...so that kills the Ben! anyway.

My thoughts

Jeff Song
10-11-2004, 03:41 PM
I am sorry to say this, that looks like a decent device but nothing about it appeals to me.

I have the PDA2K on order and love the fact that the keyboard can be hidden. Am I worried about moving parts? Not really. From all th e reviews from people who have it already seem to say that is it nor something that moves with the flick or the wrist, so it is not going to open by mistake. But they say that there are no gaps in the case etc to allow dirt in. So with those comments. I am loving the thought of getting mine in.

My thoughts

Um, the BenQ has BT 1.2, GSM/GPRS, AND WiFi...plus it is smaller than the PDA2k

Pinnacle
10-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Looks like they modeled the keyboard after the ipaq 4350...my favorite PPC of all time. Very cool and functional layout, including a dedicated Start Menu button.

mv
10-11-2004, 04:13 PM

My thoughts

And itīs likely to cost a lot less. I have nothing against the XDA III, itīs just that i prefer to save a few hundred bucks, instead of getting a not much bigger screen, and i also like better not having to open it... i hated all palm tungstens that had to be opened. The XDA III would be a lot more interesting with VGA... anyway, if i donīt go for the P50, the XDA JAM is my second choice. I know, no wifi and no keyboard, but smaller, and maybe even cheaper. But one thing is sure: The P50 or the JAM will be my next ppc. I want to carry only one device from now on.

thanos255
10-11-2004, 04:49 PM

My thoughts

That is eactly what I am saying!!!! :roll:

Guess I didn't see that.

I don't know why but I have never liked the pda's with the keyboards that were totally visable on the bottom. I don't understand the love of the Treo that alot of people have.

Anyway, it is still a sweet looking device. Iguess we all just have our own tastes.

thanos255
10-11-2004, 04:56 PM

My thoughts

And itīs likely to cost a lot less. I have nothing against the XDA III, itīs just that i prefer to save a few hundred bucks, instead of getting a not much bigger screen, and i also like better not having to open it... i hated all palm tungstens that had to be opened. The XDA III would be a lot more interesting with VGA... anyway, if i donīt go for the P50, the XDA JAM is my second choice. I know, no wifi and no keyboard, but smaller, and maybe even cheaper. But one thing is sure: The P50 or the JAM will be my next ppc. I want to carry only one device from now on.

you are right...it will probably cost alot less. I paid $850 for my PDA2K but am not upset about it.

I have a 4150 and a Nokia 6320 and together they cost more then the PDA2K so I feel I am doing alright. (more then when I first purchased them, that is!)

I love to have things get smaller and smaller, but part of me thinks that you get to a point where you really start sacrificing stuff for size.
I agree, the PDA2K would be so much better if it was VGA, but oh well.
Also they would BOTH be better if they were edge.

I am wondering how much a difference I am going to see going from Edge back to regular GPRS.

Also like I said in my original post, I am not one who likes the look of a keyboard attached to my device. I have a micro keyboard for every Ipaq I have ever had, and I think I have used them maybe once or twice. I never even used the stowaway I got. Don't know why, but never did.

Anyway. This next year is going to be a great one for new devices.

mangochutneyman
10-11-2004, 05:00 PM
What I really want to see is a comparison pic of the P50 next to the Treo 600/650. I like the specs, but I'm not sure I'ld like the longer form factor. Also, another negative of the P50 imo from looking at the pics would be the thumbboard (space bar too small, look harder to press than Treo etc)...but I think I would have to use it before making a final judgement. Also the taiwanse site, mobil01, complains that the reception on the P50 is terrible since it uses the casing as antenna... need to see how it actually performs as a phone in real world...

bkerrins
10-11-2004, 05:08 PM
I actually like the way the MPx looks (my apologies to those who don't). But truth is, Moto just doesn't seem to be getting it out the door and the BenQ is cool! Where's the preorder page!?

Johan
10-11-2004, 07:13 PM
I've been without a pda for a coupple of months and the jitters is starting to set in.... If XDA III becomes available shortly and there's still no word about a releasedate for the P50 I will not wait for it. I think Benq would have everything to gain from giving out a release date.

Treo 650 looks nice to but no wifi and the ugly antenna is a turn off.

merydian
10-11-2004, 10:10 PM

Hi there!

who told you that BenQ P5O will be BT v1.2 compliant? is it your guess/wish or you read it somewhere ?

I couldn't find that spec anywhere, and it's pretty important since it makes possible to use BT and WiFi at the same time [otherwise, with 1.1 , interferences would make that unfeasible]...

if you could tell me/us where you found the info about the BT 1.2 , I would really appreciate it !

Cheers,

/Diego

Phoenix
10-11-2004, 11:21 PM
The BenQ50 looks like a really nice, well spec'd device. But at least from the photos, it doesn't appear that its keyboard is backlit which would seriously cripple the usability of this device in very low/no light situations. Perhaps it is backlit and the photos just don't reflect that (I certainly hope that's the case), but up 'til now, it doesn't appear that way, even according to those who read the spec list.

I'm still partial to the MPx, though. I love the way that device looks and I'm eager to get my hands on one in January, which is when it'll be available. (I've had one on pre-order for months now through Expansys and Moto told them it would be available in Jan '05).

I think both devices are very nicely spec'd and I think they both look good. They seem to be very close in features - so much so that it seems the biggest difference is clamshell vs. candybar design. But for me, the MPx still wins out. I know for sure that it's keyboard is backlit - but even if the BenQ's is backlit as well, for me, I still prefer the dual-hinge clamshell design, and the secondary outer screen and buttons, and the new high capacity battery that Moto has and will provide for the MPx. Other than that, as far as I can tell, the BenQ and the MPx are reeeeally similar to each other. Convergence keeps looking better and better.

The MPx will be available in Jan '05, and the BenQ will be avaiable sometime in Q2 of '05.

shanipaqman
10-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi,
I've heard the BenQ called the treo killer, but my problem is that I am locked in for 2 years with Sprint PCS in the US here and the treo seems to be the only thing on the horizon that will do all the things I need it to. I am a PPC guy through and through but being married to Sprint is wearing me down, and I'm beginning to dream about a Treo 650.

Help me please....

rmasinag
10-12-2004, 12:31 AM
It's either this or the iJam for me. This is my first choice, then the iJam, then gawd forbid, the ipaq 6300.

I'm tired of being batman with my 2210, phone, and pager. I want one device and I refuse to learn texting with 9 keys when I know full well I could do better :twisted:

Maybe I'll keep the pager. That's when I know people are really desperate to get in touch with me. :)

thanos255
10-12-2004, 12:46 AM
Hi,
I've heard the BenQ called the treo killer, but my problem is that I am locked in for 2 years with Sprint PCS in the US here and the treo seems to be the only thing on the horizon that will do all the things I need it to. I am a PPC guy through and through but being married to Sprint is wearing me down, and I'm beginning to dream about a Treo 650.

Help me please....

You might want to go to www.clubimate.com and see the version of the PDA2K that is CDMA. I am not sure, is sprint CDMA.

Phoenix
10-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Although the BenQ looks like a nice device, another reason why the MPx will be my device of choice is because RIM will be offering its push email services for the MPx (as well as the MPx 220 for that matter).

I couldn't think of a better device than the MPx - a wireless Pocket PC, a high end camera phone, and a Blackberry pager with backlit keyboard all in one.

organon
10-12-2004, 02:49 PM
For those of you who haven't seen it, Brighthand is reporting (http://www.brighthand.com/article/No_BenQ_P50_Until_2005) that the P50 won't be available until the second half of 2005. This is too bad, as I too have been coveting this device. Looks more and more like the Treo 650 (or perhaps the MPx) will be my next device. Oh well...

braincell
10-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Just so all of you know, the BenQ P50 will not be released until the 2nd Quarter of 2005. I am the one who tipped off Brighthand to this info. I spoke with and have continued to be in contact with BenQ and their production manager informed me that the phone is still in testing in Taiwan and will not be released until possibly April '05. Maybe earlier if things change and more progress is made. BenQ is in talks with Tmobile, Cingular, and ATTWS to determine which, if not all, carriers will offer this phone, and when. I too am waiting impatiently, so much so that I asked how I can get involved with beta testing the device but had no luck. Oh well, I'm stuck waiting with the rest of you. I am probably going to go to the wireless tech convention coming here to San Francisco on Oct. 25th. I hear that I may see the MPX and TREO 650 there. I will keep you posted.

braincell
10-12-2004, 05:44 PM
By the way, I just got my new bluetooth headset, the Sony Ericsson HBH-660 with caller id display and I will be posting a review shortly. It's pretty cool though and in my opinion and improvement over the rest of SE's headsets.