View Full Version : Best Mapping Software? Possible GPS?

Gumpreza
10-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Hey everybody.

I've got one of the new iPaq's, an HP iPaq 3100.

I've been looking to get GOOD, SOLID map software for this thing, as I do alot of driving from Ohio to DC to Carolinas, etc.

I was even looking at GPS, but everything from Pharos looks like garbage according to the software reviews end of things.

Streets and Maps 2005 w/GPS is aimed at your laptop overall, with PocketPC 'support' (having to DOWNLOAD maps).

Is there any good PocketPC mapping software that HAS THE MAPS ON IT ALREADY? So if in the car, I change route, I don't have to worry about having the city already downloaded, etc?

My priorities would be
First: EXCELLENT mapping software, WITH ALL THE STREETS ON THE POCKETPC ITSELF TO BEGIN WITH....
Second: Any GPS expansion would be nice, but the priority 1 is more important....seems like Pharos has these priorities reversed.

Please help me out! I'd really appreciate it! Thanks a ton guys!!

Darius Wey
10-09-2004, 07:29 PM
You may be interested to read this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33065) that was started yesterday.

It discusses a software package called GPS Tuner and I must say that the interface looks very nice.

Gumpreza
10-09-2004, 07:44 PM
That product does look nice, but that is for geographic stuff.

I'm talking about streets and directions.

Sven Johannsen
10-09-2004, 08:42 PM
The answer to your question is no, there is no PocketPC mapping software that has the whole world, or the whole USA, or even the whole state of XX, in it, with door to door detail. They all depend on a mapping application and data files that contain the map data. The amount of data required to display the detail most folks expect, is too great for the OEMs to assume the storage space for. They wouldn't sell many with "Whole US on-line" in bold print, and "requires 1G storage" as a disclaimer.

Various option of course have different ways of handling this. Some let you cut any area you want from a desktop map, some are sectioned in counties, some by state or region. The detail you get is dependent on the application as well. With Mapopolis I can get the entire state of Colorado Major Roads in 424K, but that won't take me to my house. For that I need the county map it is in, for 1.5M.

Most programs allow you to store as many maps as you have room for and will work with them seamlessly moving from map to map as you travel along. So generally you just need to get a big enough storage card to load what is pertinent and leave it there. You do this once if you hang around the same areas most of the time. You do a little management if you can't afford a big enough SD card. I currently have 46 maps at 30M in my Mapopolis folder on my SD, numerous counties and two state's major roads.

The real differentiator is in how well the various programs assist your travel. Are routes quickly calculated, clearly displayed, automatically and quickly recalculated. How are waypoints handled? Are there many and useful ones. How are searches handled. Is the display clear. Little things like a disable power off option when the program is running so you don't need to dig through setings to do that and then forget to fix it.

Look over the reviews at www.gpspassion.com for those sorts of discussions on the various options.

Gumpreza
10-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Thank you for the information.

However, i'm still stuck.

That site is awesome but only has GPS stuff, I'm looking to spend TOTAL under $130.

Sven Johannsen
10-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Gps Passion has lots of software reviews. Sometimes they are part of the hardware review that it normally comes with. You can usually buy the software seperately.

Another site is http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

You still have options. Delorme's BT Blue Logger and Street Atlas Handheld falls around that price. If you decide to get better software someday, you would still have a very capable BT GPS receiver.

You could go with a $100 map package, and there are a few, and a serial GPS can be had for under $50.

blackbuck
10-27-2004, 01:10 AM
I use iguidance, aka, mapopolis, routis....

great software. I did a bunch of research and this seemed the way to go. A friend bought it after seeing mine and loves it too. Used it over the weekend to find a wedding, and to find places to kill time when I was early and in between the reception....

The software is about 100bucks. You can pick up a gps mouse type reciever for pretty cheap, should get you close to that 130 dollar range. Bluetooth is going to run you $150 upwards. I went with a teletype reciever.

garretwp
11-04-2004, 03:03 PM
No one suggested TomTom's software. I love it! Really nice interface and has some nice features.

Garrett

Ripper014
11-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Actually I like my Pharos Bluetooth GPS unit... but I use it with Mapopolis... I think it really depends on your use... if it is city driving... I think that Mapopolis is find... for cross-country routing... other alternatives are probably better... but then you can always use secondary options until you arrive to a new city and then go back to Mapopolis...

blackbuck
11-04-2004, 08:37 PM
No one suggested TomTom's software. I love it! Really nice interface and has some nice features.

Garrett Nice looking package. It was my runner up! They have nice mounts for the pda too.

Sven Johannsen
11-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Actually I like my Pharos Bluetooth GPS unit... but I use it with Mapopolis... I think it really depends on your use... if it is city driving... I think that Mapopolis is find... for cross-country routing... other alternatives are probably better... but then you can always use secondary options until you arrive to a new city and then go back to Mapopolis...

Actually Mapolpolis does that reasonably well too. You load counties at the ends and/or intermediate stops on your trips for detailed road availability and load the State Major roads maps. It will route across several states seemlessly.

Actually loading the State Major roads is a good way of knowing which counties you need details of. The counties are shown and the ones you already have loaded are highlighted.