View Full Version : The hx4700 has problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 01:23 AM
The hx4700 has problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, I have been doing some tests before to come and publish my conclusion here. From those test now I can tell that there are two groups of hx4700 in the market, one where .NET programs run without any problem and another group where the initialization of the imageslist object that contains the pictures to be used in the toolbar of the program produce an error. I have compared the software installed in both groups and it's the same, so it led me to think that there is a major difference from the point of view of hardware between these two groups.

I have created a little tool to prove my point. This tool will give an error in some hx4700s and it will run fine in other. Those with the error are the one that had problems at the begining with Tweaks2k2, WiFiFoFum and other programs. I have found a workaround to be used in programs created in VB .NET, but that workaround does not work properly in C# .NET programs.

I really think that we should contact HP and request from them a fix for this problem.

To find out if your hx4700 is one of the buggy, just uncompress this file, copy it to your hx4700 and run it. If you are able to read the main screen of the program that means that your PPC does not have any problem. If you get an error that means that you got one of the buggy hx4700.

http://www.pc-counselor.com/bin/hx4700test.zip

UPDATE
The problem have been found, it seems to be a bug in the ATI Driver, and I have released a temporal fix that can be downloaded here:

http://www.pc-counselor.com/hx4700.htm

powerbook17
10-09-2004, 02:57 AM
http://iusedreamweaver.250free.com/Yayyyyy.jpg

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 03:03 AM
Congratulations, you are one of the lucky ones, like me. But check the poll and you will find that many are not so lucky as you are.

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 03:13 AM
If anyone has a doubt of what I´m talking about here is an user that did a hard reset just to see if the error disapears cleaning the PPC.

http://www.ipaqhq.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44048#post44048

And the error persist even after the hard reset. That means only one thing. For some reason some hx4700 work different than others. I can understand that if we are talking about a few of them, but the reallity is that they are more than what you can think about it.

jpjehu
10-09-2004, 03:48 AM
ran fine in mine.

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 03:52 AM
ran fine in mine.

Check the poll, for everyone where it runs we have one where it does not run. That's bad.

Sunnyone
10-09-2004, 04:09 AM
It figures, mine registers an error. Let me know how you're escalating this with HP.

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 04:13 AM
First of all we have to prove that this is not a problem of just one user, this is the reason why i have created this poll to get some stadistics to show them ;)

OSUKid7
10-09-2004, 04:36 AM
I'll run this whenever my 4705 ships. ;) Hope I'm on the lucky list too.

DinarSoft
10-09-2004, 05:17 AM
hmmmm,
This is very interesting !!

We've been getting complaints from some of our 470x users where our HandySwitcher is not working probably on their devices while (According to our records) we have lots of customers using the same program on their 470x without problems.

What makes this even more strange is the fact that; No problems were reported about HandySwitcher ever before or in any other device type.

:?: :?: :?:

Oh, one more thing HandySwitcher is not a .net program.
It's pure C/C++ code (non-MFC).

seaflipper
10-09-2004, 05:43 AM
Citianic,

I got the error too. :cry:

1) How do we contact HP about this (who)
2) and what do we say to them? I think if we all are consistent with the symptons of the problem, then it will get escalated faster.

So far, I haven't had issues with any programs that I run. I don't run your program (yet) or the others that you mentioned. The only thing I have been running into is assorted memory leaks, who knows if that is realated.

What kind of harware issue do you think could cause this?

DaleReeck
10-09-2004, 06:26 AM
The hx4700 has problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, I have been doing some tests before to come and publish my conclusion here. From those test now I can tell that there are two groups of hx4700 in the market, one where .NET programs run without any problem and another group where the initialization of the imageslist object that contains the pictures to be used in the toolbar of the program produce an error. I have compared the software installed in both groups and it's the same, so it led me to think that there is a major difference from the point of view of hardware between these two groups.

I have created a little tool to prove my point. This tool will give an error in some hx4700s and it will run fine in other. Those with the error are the one that had problems at the begining with Tweaks2k2, WiFiFoFum and other programs. I have found a workaround to be used in programs created in VB .NET, but that workaround does not work properly in C# .NET programs.

I really think that we should contact HP and request from them a fix for this problem.

To find out if your hx4700 is one of the buggy, just uncompress this file, copy it to your hx4700 and run it. If you are able to read the main screen of the program that means that your PPC does not have any problem. If you get an error that means that you got one of the buggy hx4700.

If you are going to buy in the store one hx4700 I would recommend you to take this little exe copied in a SD Card and run it

Is this in any way related to the problems we had been discussing a while back where .Net program would eventually fail to stop running as apps are installed? I know its not the same problem, but could it be the same bug in .Net - in the case of the 4700, in correlation with some slight hardware or BIOS difference between devices?

jimski
10-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Citianic,

Maybe you can find some corelation between user's Serial #'s and this problem. My 4700 tested fine and the SN starts with: TWC43....
My ROM date is 09/02/04 and my ROM Revision is: 1.00.09 ENG

wolwol
10-09-2004, 07:39 AM
works fine on mine
hey ctanic, is brighthand has somekind of problem?
i can't access it at all

jmbneaf
10-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Working here in Real VGA landscape w/ SE_VGA,

Ser# TWC4371xxx
ROM 1.00.09 ENG
Bootloader: 1.01
XIP: 4.21.14132.0

Yup, BH is down over here too.....

-JB

manywhere
10-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Maybe you should have all that have got problems to report their ROM version (and other device specs)? This way we can see if it has something to do with what HP has shipped... ;)

SHC
10-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Citanic, what programmes might not work properly? My 4700 has failed the test but the only programme I have that has problems is BugMe!, for which I have yet to receive a reply from the developers. I have a programme that required .net to be installed on my old ipaq 2210 but it runs fine on the 4700?
Anyway good work!

lanwarrior
10-09-2004, 09:23 AM
The test program gave me an error, but so far my.net based application works fine, including Tweaks2K2.net

The error I got is:

hx4700Test.exe
Exception

MISC::HandleAr+0x5b
ImageCollection::Add+0x2e
Form1::InitializeComponent+0x150
Form1::ctor+0x1f
Form1::Main+0xa

SHC
10-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Just had to do a soft reset, was about to delete test programme but ran it again (just in case!)- this time it passed!

jpf
10-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Mine gives the error. Bought from buy.com.
I have had no end of problems with this machine whereas I have never had any issues with my previous 4355/3955.
Seems slow to redraw screens, locks up frequently. I've beem considering sending it back as having a probable memory fault.

HERE'S A BAD ONE
Installed SE_VGA, switched it on, switched it off. I didn't notice but the ipaq locked up on it's cradle and began a deep discharge. Got very hot. I caught it with about 10% battery left from full in a few minutes. Oh and the machine had hard reset... EVERYTHING GONE!

flash chip type: 28f128
psm driver 3.7
rom date 9/2/4
rom rev 1.00.9 eng
xip ver 4.21.14132.0
serial twc438...

Chak
10-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi ctitanic
As expect it did not run on my device. :?
At the moment I have no other problems.

Chak

bvkeen
10-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Mine comes up with the error
"An unexpected error has occurred in hx4700test.exe..."

I have not had problems with any program (including HandySwitcher, which some have reported as having a problem), but the memory leak on my 4700 does SEEM to be more significant that it was on my WM2003SE-based e800. I just tried to go over to BrightHand to see if there are any updates on the thread that discusses memory leaks, but apparently BH went down sometime last night and is still not back up.

I have not used any plug-ins for the past several days, and the only .NET program I have installed is Tweaks2k. I did have problems with it at first, but of course version 2.6 fixed my problems.

I selected "NO" in the poll.

Thanks for starting this poll and for going through the tremendous effort of identifying this problem and finding ways to track down the cause. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Microsoft and/or the OEMs provided this kind of support?

9Ballr
10-09-2004, 02:03 PM

I just brought an hx4700 yesterday at CompuSmart. I have the problem as well. My particulars:

Serial: TWC4371xxx
Product Rev.: 1.0
ROM: v1.00.09 ENG, 09/02/04
Bootloader: v1.01
XIP: v4.21.14132.0

Question for everyone who cannot run ctitanic's test app successfully: do we know which other apps are affected? These developers should be notified as well.

Question for ctitanic: regarding the VB .NET workaround you found, is it something that can be done by the user, or is it a code workaround that would require a new build of each affected app? BTW, thanks for your efforts in bringing this issue to light. :way to go:

Cheers!

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 02:56 PM

I just brought an hx4700 yesterday at CompuSmart. I have the problem as well. My particulars:

Question for everyone who cannot run ctitanic's test app successfully: do we know which other apps are affected? These developers should be notified as well.

Question for ctitanic: regarding the VB .NET workaround you found, is it something that can be done by the user, or is it a code workaround that would require a new build of each affected app? BTW, thanks for your efforts in bringing this issue to light. :way to go:

Cheers!.

the workaround can be applied only in the code of the program.

Guys thanks for all the effort you are putting to find where is the problem.

It seems to me that's something relative with the graffic Ship/driver because the object that fails is the container of the images that is used to show the icons in the toolbar.

Handyswitch is working on mine. But it use graffics too ;)

For those who are looking for any patern to follow with the SN. I tried that and could not found any.

I also compared the ROM and .NET version with the same result.

bvkeen
10-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks CTitanic. The icon connection does make me wonder if this relates to the memory leaks that many are reporting. I recall from an old thread somewhere that discussed WM2003SE that the GDI demands are greater with SE than with FE and that no provision had been made in the OS for accomodating the greater demands. (I _think_ one of the problems with some of the Today plugins is that they make considerable GDI demands and GDI resources are not really properly freed back up after use.) Anyway, I guess this all boils down to what can we do, and what do vendors need to do? I just can't picture Microsoft doing anything about this. I know I sound cynical, but look at how they have ignored the alarm problem, how Voice Command has not been upgraded to SE, how Microsoft Reader behaves on SE, and so on.

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Well, One of the first thing We have to do is get the attention of Webmasters of site like this asking them to publish this issue in front page ;)

that will get the attention of OEMs ;)

So guys, it's time to hit the submit news button with a link to this thread ;) and do the same in all others forums where I have posted about this problem (BH, POCKETNOW, IPAQHQ, POCKETPCADDICT, POCKETPATOOLS, DAVES' IPAQ, etc)

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 03:57 PM
thanks Jason!! you posted in front page!

jgrnt1
10-09-2004, 04:02 PM
AFAIK, nobody with any other device has reported this problem, so it probably is not related to SE in general. It could be related to HP's implementation of SE, but then it should affect all the 4700's. If it was hardware related, it should also affect either all the 4700's, or all in the same batch which, from ctitanic's testing, we know is not the case because the serial numbers that are affected seem to be random.

Is it possible this was one of the reasons HP delayed the release? I don't remember seeing anything concrete from HP to explain the delay.

JNZ
10-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Mine didn't pass the test.

Is this why I'm having such a problem with Microsoft Reader? It starts up, I can select a e-book, but once the book loads the buttons on the left (Go To, etc.) don't work and the application either completely locks up, or has a response time measured in minutes. I've successfully activated it, removed it, reloaded, activated, but always the same problem...

Maybe this is why HP did not include Reader on the CD, although it's mentioned as included on their web site. Did they know something?

MobileAGBell
10-09-2004, 04:31 PM
ctitanic,

While the hx4700 test app failed on my 4705 I do not have any problems with the unit or the programs I'm running.

Is there a list of .NET apps somewhere? A list of .NET apps that do not run at all or on just some units? Are there .NET apps that do run on the units that fail your test app?

Thanks for your efforts.

lanwarrior
10-09-2004, 04:39 PM
[quote="bvkeen"]Mine comes up with the error
"An unexpected error has occurred in hx4700test.exe..."

I have not had problems with any program (including HandySwitcher, which some have reported as having a problem), but the memory leak on my 4700 does SEEM to be more significant that it was on my WM2003SE-based e800. I just tried to go over to BrightHand to see if there are any updates on the thread that discusses memory leaks, but apparently BH went down sometime last night and is still not back up.

I have not used any plug-ins for the past several days, and the only .NET program I have installed is Tweaks2k. I did have problems with it at first, but of course version 2.6 fixed my problems.[quote]

Same here, big memory leak and I thought it was the apps that I installed. I started a thread about it, and all the other problems @ http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=291105#291105.

Sully
10-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Does the dot net framework need to be installed first?

GadgetMan
10-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Hmm... The litlle hx4700test.exe run fine on my hx4700 (I saw the text displayed and icons on the toolbar). This would indicate that my .NET libraries are OK.

Then, how come I could not see WiFiForum's toolbar icons until the latest fix?

Cheers,

rdmeyers
10-09-2004, 05:06 PM
I do .NET programming and it may just be that some of these units are shipping with an incorrect/older version of the Compact Framework, or installation of another program incorrectly installed such.

Run the little File Explorer utility and browse to the "Windows" folder. Locate a file named CGACUTIL and run it. This will display what version of the Compact Framework is currently installed.

It would be interesting to see if there is a common thread to the units that work, and those that do not.

lanwarrior
10-09-2004, 05:10 PM
I run CGAUTIL and the ver. is 1.0.3316.00.

The test program show error.

MobileAGBell
10-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Here's my results:

.NET Compact Framework

lanwarrior
10-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Here's my results:

.NET Compact Framework

Do you get error on the test program?

MobileAGBell
10-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Yes, the test app fails.

My 5555 has the same version and my 4155 has 1.0.3111.00. I would have thought the 4705 would have one updated from the 5555 version. But then again I'm no coder so it may not mean anything.

jasondearyou
10-09-2004, 05:22 PM
this is rediculous, just as i was settling down to grudgling buy a h4700 because of the whole keyboard connectorthing, (i wanted a loox 720 or was going to wait for a x50v) this scary thing pops up.

Now i'm descouraged by it's high cost, its lack or consumer Ir, fingerprint reader, camera and larger memory. Way to go HP.

I'll have to think longer about buying this one. I like to think my PDA is perfect. 0X

jgrnt1
10-09-2004, 05:25 PM
GadgetMan,

I have one of the 4700's with problems and still have icon issues with WiFiFoFum. The fact that the latest fix for WFFF solved your problems, is an indication your 4700 does not have the problem.

9Ballr
10-09-2004, 05:43 PM

Cheers!

I have .NET Compact Framework v1.0.3316.00.

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Let me make clear one point. There are workaround that can be done to avoid these problems in VB and C# (like it was shown early in this thread) but... these workaround are not needed in any other HP either any brand of Pocket PC. So this means to me one thing, the hp4700 in some way is faulty and should be fixed. I don't see a reason why programmers should go crazy rewritting their programs when they are working in all other devices with the same specifications. ;) Add to this that in the same hx4700 you have a group of units where you don't have to change anything in the code of your programs to have them working. ;)

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 05:54 PM
I have checked the .NET version, ROM version, BootLoader version on both groups of devices and they are identical.

I have tested units right after a hard reset and the problem is there even when the PPC is clean.

I have checked the SN looking for any patern. No luck.

bvkeen
10-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Mine didn't pass the test.

Is this why I'm having such a problem with Microsoft Reader? It starts up, I can select a e-book, but once the book loads the buttons on the left (Go To, etc.) don't work and the application either completely locks up, or has a response time measured in minutes. I've successfully activated it, removed it, reloaded, activated, but always the same problem...

Maybe this is why HP did not include Reader on the CD, although it's mentioned as included on their web site. Did they know something?

No, this is because Microsoft Reader sucks. It has the same problem on the Toshiba e800 with WM2003SE installed. It used to be a good program, but Microsoft's SE implementation made it basically useless. There are posts on several sites about people abandoning MS Reader and switching to eReader and/or MobiPocket. It should be noted that neither of these alternatives have been updated for WM2003SE, but the Tweaks2k VGA "tweak" fixes the current version of MobiPocket and it fixes older versions of eReader (such as PalmReader 2.4.1).

jasondearyou
10-09-2004, 05:59 PM
This gives me the freakin chills. Makes me think that HP only went ahead a tried to rush these PPC's out before the Dells because they figure they'll loose ground, and now look what's happening.

I'm not trying to be overly excited but get it right HP, or i'm buying a dell or loox or even a toshiba.

alex_kac
10-09-2004, 06:28 PM
I've run a couple .NET CF apps on my 4700 and they have worked fine, but the test app did not.

I think people are getting scared for no reason on the 4700 too. VERY few commercial .NET CF apps exist. If there is an issue, it may be a timing issue with the 4700s new processor or something else - not sure.

But I've been running the 4700 for a long time now and except for this have not had any issues myself.

bvkeen
10-09-2004, 06:35 PM
I've run a couple .NET CF apps on my 4700 and they have worked fine, but the test app did not.

I think people are getting scared for no reason on the 4700 too. VERY few commercial .NET CF apps exist. If there is an issue, it may be a timing issue with the 4700s new processor or something else - not sure.

But I've been running the 4700 for a long time now and except for this have not had any issues myself.
Thanks for the calming factor, Alex. I have not really had any problems with my hx4700, and in fact I love it. The only thing I have found that seems to be worse on it than on my e800 is the memory leak, and I wonder if it's just because I'm paying more attention to it. I cannot quanitatively state that the 4700 memory leak is worse than the e800's, but I _think_ it is. But, even at that, at least my alarms are working (so far), and all of my apps run fine on it.

So, I appreciate you stepping up to the plate and calibrating me a bit. I have to admit, I was starting to get very miffed that something I paid $665 for last week was having "so many" problems.

SHC
10-09-2004, 06:36 PM
My 4700 failed the test but then passed after a soft reset, why would that be? Citanic said his failed after a hard reset. All my apps work except one (BugMe!) even reader. Maybe I'm just lucky?

jgrnt1
10-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Alex,

Are you seeing the memory issues many, including myself, are having? I don't know if this is a 4700 problem, or a coding problem with some of the programs. It's a concern to see several MB get eaten up during the course of a day, but even this and the .NET issue haven't soured me on the 4700. I love it and am very glad I replaced my 2215 with it.

lanwarrior
10-09-2004, 06:37 PM
The hx4700 DOES have problems not only with .NET, but with a bunch of other things. I've started another thread @ http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33098 because I thought this thread is only for .net related issues.

Granted, crashes/hanging, etc caused by 3rd party application maybe specific to that particular apps, but if these apps worked fine in WM2003 First Edition (my 5450) but NOT in hx4700, then something must be wrong with the unit itself.

The most apparent problem is the HUGE memory leak.

The only thing I have found that seems to be worse on it than on my e800 is the memory leak, and I wonder if it's just because I'm paying more attention to it. I cannot quanitatively state that the 4700 memory leak is worse than the e800's, but I _think_ it is. But, even at that, at least my alarms are working (so far), and all of my apps run fine on it.

I ran Agenda Fusion, IE, and Word ON and OFF throghout the day and then I closed all app. and tried to run BT Manager and an error pops-up saying that it doesn't have "enough memory" (??)[/b]

Wiggster
10-09-2004, 07:01 PM
The application runs fine, and the only app I've had any trouble with was the original release of Wisbar Advance 2.

SHC
10-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Spoke too soon, just installed my TomTom GPS software and fired up bluetooth - "not enough memory - soft reset required" Hmmmmm :cry:

aner
10-09-2004, 08:52 PM
The bluetooth stack running out of memory is a problem as old as my trusty Ipaq 3870. Don't blame the 4700 for it please :wink:
Are there any toshiba users out there with windows mobile SE that could run the testing program to see what happens?

nokker
10-09-2004, 09:48 PM
The .NET Imagelist bug is a well-known issue on WM2003 SE OS.

Here is a workaround for programmers: http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/53/267399.aspx

I am bit upset also when I try to test my app on my new 4700 and it refuses to work! Agrhh... :?

My imagelist accepts only 32x32 pixel images!!! (all other size causes error?!)

I had to make some changes, but it works now!

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 09:55 PM
The .NET Imagelist bug is a well-known issue on WM2003 SE OS.

Here is a workaround for programmers: http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/53/267399.aspx

I am bit upset also when I try to test my app on my new 4700 and it refuses to work! Agrhh... :?

My imagelist accepts only 32x32 pixel images!!! (all other size causes error?!)

I had to make some changes, but it works now!

yeah, that's a very different issue called "invisible icons in the toolbar" but in this case this little EXE already has the workaround for that issue applied ;), the problem now is an error message when initializing an imagelist object.

Alex:
I agree, there is not reason for panic, I'm also sure that this problem is fixable and i agree, out there are not many commercial applications created in .NET, but... .NET is Microsoft Developer tool of the future, the one that Microsoft wants that everybody use in 2005 ;). So this issue is really a very bad start for HP ;)

I hope that they are already monitoring this thread. If we don't do this I'm sure that this issue is going to be for ever present in the hx4700.

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Alex, In another hand, there are workaround for this issue, like the one I'm using in current version of Tweaks2k2 and another workaround described here early. But... the fact that this issue is present in some hx4700s and in anothers is not present is telling us that there is a problem that have to be fixed. We have all paid a very hight price for these devices and we expect them to work in the way they are supposed to work.

PPCMD
10-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Mine failed the test what a disappointment. HP had better fix this I know I didn't pay all this money for a device that is half baked.

Ser# TWC4351xxx
ROM Date 9/2/04
ROM 1.00.09 ENG
.NET Compact Framework: 1.0.3316.00

nokker
10-09-2004, 10:28 PM
the problem now is an error message when initializing an imagelist object

I think the image type/size causes the error. You have to use ICO image format and standard icon size to avoid freezing. (I know it sounds crazy...)

In my imagelist I have used 32x32 pixel size ICO images while my imagelist's imagesize properity is 16x16 pixel...

ctitanic
10-09-2004, 10:48 PM
the problem now is an error message when initializing an imagelist object

I think the image type/size causes the error. You have to use ICO image format and standard icon size to avoid freezing. (I know it sounds crazy...)

In my imagelist I have used 32x32 pixel size ICO images while my imagelist's imagesize properity is 16x16 pixel...

Mt dear friend you are missing one point. this error only happens in the hx4700, and not in all of them. ;)

this is not a .NET issue because this is not happening in the Loox 720 or in the e800, both of them using SE. ;)

jpf
10-09-2004, 11:04 PM
While some are saying this is not a huge issue.... What are you going to say when you leave your PDA in the cradle and walk away and come back and find the thing has fried?
I agree that it was just a lot of coincidences that caused my 4700 (with bug) to deep discharge and hard reset.; but who's to say YOU won't unknowlingly make the same steps?
The thing got REAL hot, if I display a white screen, I can see a vague rainbow tint along the bottom of the display and I don't remember that being there before.

Batnun
10-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Maybe there is some software that replace some DLL,
and thats cause the error in your software.

Unless everybody here running the test after hard reset...

Batnun

ctitanic
10-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Guys, you have to trust me in what I'm about to ask you.

I need the complete serial No of those devices that fail and of those where it worked.

please, this is very important.

Please send the serial no. to

ctitanic at pc-counselor.8m.com

Please Keep the email Simple, Just the serial no and the words FAILED or WORKED. So I can process this info as soon as possible.

petvas
10-10-2004, 02:12 AM
I dont get all this fuzz about the test. I have a german Hx4700 and the test fails...
My device runs perfectly and I have no issues whatsoever...
This is the best Pocket PC on the market but I think that some people want to complain all the time and not see whats actually happening...
If there is indeed an issue, then its just a software one and it doesnt affect any major application on the market...
I have seen people complaining about AF...I use it and it runs perfectly!
I havent found an app that doesnt run correctly on my iPaq Hx4700. Here is the list of programs I use:

Pocket Informant (latest version - not the one included on ROM)
Agenda Fusion
Collins Eng-Ger Dictionary
Resco File Explorer
Codewallet Pro
Worldmate 2004 Pro
Pocket Breeze
Pocket Streets 2005
Spb Imageer
Pocket Backup Premium Edition
Monopoly
Pacman
Ms Pacman
Pocket Chess
Dig-Dug
Backgammon
Tetris Classic
Pocket Controller Pro v4.12

I have two cards installed: One 512MB SD and one 1GB CF...
My Hx4700 runs perfectly...

UtK
10-10-2004, 08:00 AM
Please, someone whos iPAQ couldn't passed the test: check this rumor.

Install latest available beta version of beta-player (UNSTABLE.092).
http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/download.html
Soft-reset.
The test should pass now.

Added later: YES, IT WORK!!! My friend's buggy iPAQ has passed the test now! YAHOOO!!

torring
10-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Please, someone whos iPAQ couldn't passed the test: check this rumor.

Install latest available beta version of beta-player (UNSTABLE.092).
http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/download.html
Soft-reset.
The test should pass now.

Added later: YES, IT WORK!!! My friend's buggy iPAQ has passed the test now! YAHOOO!!

Did'nt work before, even after reset. Installing betaplayer made it work.

UtK
10-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Glad to hear it. Well, we have the cure.

I hope, experts would be able to tell what libraries betaplayer is patching, or something.

BTW, latest Betaplayer was the first program I've installed on my 4700. Maybe it has the bug too, I don't know :)

picard
10-10-2004, 12:52 PM
i guess it's an ATI driver problem. maybe someone should compare the ATI driver numbers (BetaPlayer Settings / ATI Imageon page).

during BetaPlayer / PocketTV / PocketMVP install the video players turn off bitmap caching in registry. probaby this solves the problem with toolbar icons or whatever gfx stuff (and this registry setting is not restored after BetaPlayer uninstall )

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Drivers\ATI\DisableDeviceBitmap = 1 (DWORD)

ctitanic
10-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Guys, I need all that did not pass the test to uncompress, copy to your PPC and run this little program and apply this fix, and after that run the test again.

http://www.pc-counselor.com/bin/hx4700fix.zip

ctitanic
10-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Would be good if somebody that passed the test can confirm if doing a hard reset his unit still passing the test ;) or at least how many of them (those who passed the test) have installed BetaPlayer, PocketMVP or PocketTV.

bvkeen
10-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Guys, I need all that did not pass the test to uncompress, copy to your PPC and run this little program and apply this fix, and after that run the test again.

I ran the fix and it works. Mine had previously failed.

Thank you, again, for all your magic CTitanic!

ctitanic
10-10-2004, 04:13 PM
I have posted both, the test tool and the fix at www.pc-counselor.com/hx4700.htm

In that way people can access both easily.

I'm passing all the information that we have found here to HP in a hope that we will see a final solution coming from this company soon.

nomindme
10-10-2004, 04:55 PM
After applying the fix, I'm now able to run my Mobilearn Talking Phrasebook software (www.mobilearn.net), which was previously bombing on a .NET error

I'll post again if I find any new issues, but for now everything looks good.

Thank you so much for the fix! :)

ctitanic
10-10-2004, 08:33 PM
After applying the fix, I'm now able to run my Mobilearn Talking Phrasebook software (www.mobilearn.net), which was previously bombing on a .NET error

I'll post again if I find any new issues, but for now everything looks good.

Thank you so much for the fix! :)

that's the answer to those that were asking me if all this issue was about Tweaks2K2. No, this issue was about .NET. Any program made in .NET could have this problem, it only depends of how the program was designed. if it has toolbar with buttons you are going to get the error message. In fact, Tweaks2K2 was updated a week ago to avoid this error with a work around, so to find what was causing the error was to me just a curiosity that did not leave me sleep well ;)

dec0de
10-11-2004, 10:52 AM
hx4700Test.exe
Exception

MISC::HandleAr+0x5b
ImageCollection::Add+0x2e
Form1::InitializeComponent+0x150
Form::.ctor+0x1f
Form1::Main+0xa

bugger....

now what?

/dec0de

dec0de
10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Strangely ive got the same system as:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=291095&sid=ce0f81bda5dec646f8f3c7f3fdf061d3

But the software doesnt work...

Serial# TWC4371xxx

Product Revision Level:1.0
ROM Date 09/02/04
ROM Revision 1.0.0.09 ENG
OS Version : Windows CE 4.21
Bootloader version 1.01
XIP Version 4.21.14132.0

.NET Compact Framework: 1.0.3316.00

And im also running SE_VGA

Other interesting bugs is that the unit seems to boot itself up after a while (like 15-60 min) happily awaiting your input for decryption, even though no software is running (except "Today").

It might have a connection to having either Wireless or Bluetooth on when shutting the hx4700 of...

cheers

/dec0de

samkee
10-11-2004, 11:47 AM
hi all,
my 4700 fail the test.

I noticed pc conuselor released a fix file, does this mean it is about the software/ OS bug, rather than the failure in hardware as stated in the beginning of this discussion?

i would like to know what is fixed by the fix file, before I run that fix in my 4700. I only see a fix file is released , but i can't find any explaination/ discription.

ctitanic
10-11-2004, 12:35 PM
The problem have been found and I have released a temporal fix that can be downloaded here:

http://www.pc-counselor.com/hx4700.htm

ctitanic
10-11-2004, 12:38 PM
hi all,
my 4700 fail the test.

I noticed pc conuselor released a fix file, does this mean it is about the software/ OS bug, rather than the failure in hardware as stated in the beginning of this discussion?

i would like to know what is fixed by the fix file, before I run that fix in my 4700. I only see a fix file is released , but i can't find any explaination/ discription.

The fix just change a registry key disabling one of the parameters in the ATI Driver. HP knows about the whole case and it will work in a final fix.

We all believe that it's a failure in the ATI Driver not a hardware problem.

samkee
10-11-2004, 12:56 PM
The fix just change a registry key disabling one of the parameters in the ATI Driver. HP knows about the whole case and it will work in a final fix.

oh, that is a good news.
however, as i know, there is only one rom version, why some device failed the test and the others passed? very strange.

it would be interesting to know the cause.

thx.

ctitanic
10-11-2004, 12:59 PM

oh, that is a good news.
however, as i know, there is only one rom version, why some device failed the test and the others passed? very strange.

it would be interesting to know the cause.

thx.

Because 40% love to play movies in our Pocket PCs and those players are prepared to do the same thing that the fix at my site is doing :D That drove me crazy!

UtK
10-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Because 40% love to play movies in our Pocket PCs and those players are prepared to do the same thing that the fix at my site is doing That drove me crazy!

Absolutely :D
What I think is strange is that 60% haven't ever try to watch video on their super-video-accelerated hx4700 :)

ctitanic
10-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Because 40% love to play movies in our Pocket PCs and those players are prepared to do the same thing that the fix at my site is doing That drove me crazy!

Absolutely :D
What I think is strange is that 60% haven't ever try to watch video on their super-video-accelerated hx4700 :)

Because they still believe that WMP is the last card of the pocker game. :D

MadBison
10-15-2004, 03:37 AM
The test and fix files are not in

Will they be back?

Thanks
David

ctitanic
10-15-2004, 04:05 AM
The test and fix files are not in

Will they be back?

Thanks
David

Yes, they are going to be back.
I'm just moving my site to another server.

http://www.Tweaks2K2.com/bin/hx4700test.zip

http://www.Tweaks2K2.com/bin/hx4700fix.zip

kenbobe
10-17-2004, 09:08 PM
I installed your patch onto my 4705 after first running your test app and confirming that my devise was definately one of those with the problems you mentioned. After installing the patch the application that I was previously having problems (.NET app) ran without any problems at all. However, shortly thereafter my devise began crashing repeatedly. The screen would simply fade out and then the devise would reboot itself. This problem continued repeatedly throughout the day for about three days when the devise finally crashed and would not even respond to a soft reset. Once I did a hard reset everything was back up and running again for about 15 minutes and then the problem started all over again.

Has anyone else reported such a problem after installing your patch? I took my devise back to the retailer and they gave me a new one. This devise, unfortunately has the same problem with .NET apps as the prior one but I am afraid to install your patch again for fear that it will crash my devise again.

ctitanic
10-17-2004, 09:14 PM
I have been using the patch since 3 weeks ago and not problem at all. In fact you are the first one reporting this problem that I believe is not relative in any case with this patch or fix.

ctitanic
10-17-2004, 09:15 PM
For Developers: Code Solution for Invisible tool bar icons in SE and ImageList initialization error in hx4700s.

Many of my fellow developers have been looking for a solution for the first and lately for the second issue. Both issues in some way are relative and are clearly a bug in Microsoft Compact Framework. Doing some research in the web looking for different ways to initialize an ImageList object during the form load time I found a way that fix the SE icons invisibility issue and the initialization error present in hx4700 when the BitMap Cache parameter of the ATI driver is enabled. So basically, there is not need to disable the bitmap cache to avoid the error in hx4700s if you use this method to initialize the ImageList component.

To easily understand the process I have prepared a C# and VB .NET projects that can be downloaded here:

http://www.tweaks2k2.com/hx4700.htm

ydz899
08-28-2007, 04:49 AM
Working here in Real VGA landscape w/ SE_VGA,

Ser# TWC4371xxx
ROM 1.00.09 ENG

Yup, BH is down over here too.....

-JB