View Full Version : Memory Card

dz
10-08-2004, 10:06 PM
I am so lost!

I have an HP Ipaq 4700.

I bought a 512 mb memory card, using it basically as an mp3 card

First time - loaded songs, approximately 250 mb worth. Working fine. All of a sudden it shows the card is full even though I haven't loaded any new songs. Exchange the card with the store because no one can figure out why its doing this.

New card - reload the songs, working fine. All of a suddent today, the card shows 0 mb of memory available, all my songs are gone - it acts like there is no card even in the slot.

HELP! Anyone had this problem, know what causes it?

seasalt
10-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Irony is i just fixed this today...

Your Sd card must be reformatted...
It is set at a FAT 16 and needs to be sset at a FAT 32
.. im not sure why they do this and for how long i have been being robberd of the advatages of the full access to that space...

get Pocket Mechanic and reformat your card..

~be well

tanalasta
10-10-2004, 06:36 AM
I actually had more problems with my storage card (SD) corrupting at FAT 32 than I did at FAT 16... but I suppose different people have different experiences.

Corrupt SD cards are horrendously annoying as there is often no warning when it will occur and data becomes unrecoverable - the only solution often being reformat and reinstall.

If it happens again, I would take the card back for a refund (under warranty) whilst you still can and try an alternative brand of SD card.

ctmagnus
10-10-2004, 08:25 PM
I can't remember the specifics as I haven't dealt with it for a while, but iirc any FAT storage medium that is 1GB or less will function better formatted as FAT 16 rather than FAT32.