View Full Version : Hardware "hard reset buttons/switches" - ahhhhhhgggg

Stephen Beesley
10-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Well it was bound to happen.

Ever since I got my Toshiba e755 I have been waiting for the day that I go to turn the wifi on or off and instead flick over the - unlabled! - hard reset switch.

There I was enjoying a nice soup and sandwhiches lunch on a rainy Dublin afternoon (a "soft day" as the locals would say :D) and surfing the PPC thoughts site thanks to the wifi hotspot kindly provided by the Pub I was eating in - and the next moment it happened..... :bad-words:

Fortunately I always keep a recent backup on my CF card to restore in just such an emergency, and I never keep any documents in main memory so no big deal - back up and running in a few minutes - but it did get me thinking about the pros and cons of hardware switches (particularly unlabled ones...) to carry out a hard reset. Sometimes maybe you can have too much convienience!

Darius Wey
10-08-2004, 02:10 PM
In my mind, I've always thought that companies should make a hard reset as tedious as possible. Quirky...yet true! In a world where we live and swear by making things as convenient as possible, I sometimes wish such an attitude was not implemented into everything.

My h1940 uses a concept of holding down the power button and using the stylus to press the reset switch at the same time. Sure, this is much more complex than a simple hardware switch, but still too simplified in my opinion. If I were to "soft-reset" my device, yet accidentally having my fingers on the power button without knowing, I'd be one sitting duck.

I'm definitely one for a complex hard-reset sequence! :oops:

EDIT: I got a bit sidetracked and forgot the whole point of the thread. :roll: What I forgot to say was that I'm very glad you were up and running again in no time. It's always handy to have a backup on hand. :D

quikag
10-08-2004, 05:45 PM
I agree that hard resets should be very difficult to do. I've never done it accidentally on my Axim, but just in case, I keep a self-executing backup (actually 2) in the ROM storage. It HAS saved me before when I have forgotten to charge my PPC at the same time I had been putting off replacing that pesky backup battery! LOL Gotta love Sprite Backup! :lol:

Jacob
10-08-2004, 05:49 PM
My h1940 uses a concept of holding down the power button and using the stylus to press the reset switch at the same time. Sure, this is much more complex than a simple hardware switch, but still too simplified in my opinion. If I were to "soft-reset" my device, yet accidentally having my fingers on the power button without knowing, I'd be one sitting duck.

The 4150 uses the same scheme. I think it avoids this problem in that you have to hold them both for a second or so in order for it to actually be a hard reset. Although I haven't tried it to make sure.. I do know that when I have done a hard reset I did hold it for a second or two and then saw it reset.

I agree with all the above that it shouldn't be an easy thing to do - you should have to mean to do it. It's exactly why I don't like the idea of having software on the device that allows you to do a hard reset.

Darius Wey
10-08-2004, 05:56 PM
I agree with all the above that it shouldn't be an easy thing to do - you should have to mean to do it. It's exactly why I don't like the idea of having software on the device that allows you to do a hard reset.

Most definitely, especially when they're integrated into task managers!

Agh! The concept is mind-boggling! :P

surur
10-08-2004, 07:51 PM
On the XDA 2, to hard reset is also hold down the on/off button and soft-reset.

Here's the good part. When your pocketpc freezes, and you try the on/off button, then let go, and then soft-reset, it remembers the on/off button press and hard resets!

<sarcasm>Nifty feature, isn't it. This is to make sure you remove all third party software that causes instability on your xda </sarcasm>

Surur