View Full Version : AT&T, Cingular To Sell HTC "Blue Angel"

Janak Parekh
10-07-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2268&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/mod...order=0&thold=0</a><br /><br /></div>For the US Pocket PC Phone aficionados amongst us, take note: the new Blue Angel device, with integrated keyboard, BT and WiFi, is making its way over to Cingular and AT&amp;T!<br /><br /><i>"Mobile Gadget News has confirmed that AT&amp;T Wireless will be selling the HTC Blue Angel / MDA III / XDA IIs Pocket PC Phone Edition device as the Siemens SX66. No date is available at this point, but when released, this will be an impressive device. Quad band (with 850 MHz), WiFi, Bluetooth, camera, slide out keyboard, the works. We have also confirmed AT&amp;T will be selling the iPAQ 6315 expected in November. As if that's not enough... Cingular will also carry the HTC Blue Angle PPC-PE as soon as 3 weeks from now."</i><br /><br />Let's hope Cingular and AT&amp;T merge soon... a large GSM network in the US with the best Pocket PC Phone? I can hardly wait... :mrgreen: If you can't wait, yourself, PPCT member Johan helpfully informs us that <a href="http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=I-MATE_III">Expansys is listing the i-Mate version</a> as in stock.

powder2000
10-07-2004, 09:05 PM
I myself have the two line family plan with free nationwide roaming, so I already have the best of both worlds. Nice to see this coming though.

Underwater Mike
10-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Everything but VGA!

:bad-words:

gorkon280
10-07-2004, 10:12 PM
I was talking to a AT&T rep and once this merger is complete, the new Cingular will be larger then the big VzW. FINALLY a GSM network that will be as good as or better then VzW. For right now thouigh, VzW still has the best.

bkerrins
10-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Cool. I wanted an MPx but lost my patience with Moto to deliver. If I have access to a nice PPC and Phone (I like the camera too) then it's time for me to move. Sorry Moto.

ignar
10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
I remember reading a thread in HoFo mentioning Cingular store already started to order units, and it will be available to customers by the end of October. Looks very interesting, but my biggest concern is a weight. Last time I checked, it was more than 7oz, which will make the heaviest PDA I have if I get one. Someone may argue carrying one 7oz is better than carrying two 4oz, but I found the latter actullay works better for me. In any case, it's nice to see more PDA phones come to the US, and this one looks better than most others.

Janak Parekh
10-07-2004, 11:00 PM
FINALLY a GSM network that will be as good as or better then VzW. For right now thouigh, VzW still has the best.
Right, and they may still be a little better post-merger, but they'll finally have some competition. If nothing else, they'll have to offer Bluetooth and a better phone selection by then or suffer people moving to Cingular.

--janak

Mauricio22
10-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Thank you!

ignar
10-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Thank you!

It should be around $600.

Mauricio22
10-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Ignar!

ChrisF
10-08-2004, 12:43 AM
What Cingular plan features would I have to enable to use this device to its fullest?

For me that means:

phone use
web browsing
viewing my webmail either through web interface or by connecting to POP/IMAP server

ChrisF
(don't car about IM)

whydidnt
10-08-2004, 04:57 AM
I don't suppose there is any chance that this version will have EDGE support is there? This device is definitely drool worthy, and if offered by a US carrier that's all the better. I'm still tempted by the higher speed internet access a dual device combo from Verizon might offer, though.

piperpilot
10-08-2004, 01:40 PM
If it is capable of using EDGE, it's a done deal for me. I wanted the iPAQ 6315, but the specs of the soon-to-be Siemens SX66 blow it out of the water. The Siemens will have a faster processor than the 6315, more RAM and will be running WM 3003 SE. The only thing it doesn't sport is VGA, but I can live without it for the time being.

thunderck
10-08-2004, 02:21 PM
I just hope this device is still going to be released on CDMA.. :? Even with ATT and Cingular together CDMA data speeds are faster. But then again big deal if all the features are in a device.

stephman
10-08-2004, 04:29 PM
I just hope this device is still going to be released on CDMA.. :? Even with ATT and Cingular together CDMA data speeds are faster. But then again big deal if all the features are in a device.
According to this news post at brighthand.com, they mention a version coming to Verizon, but MINUS WI-FI.
http://www.brighthand.com/article/XDA_III_Coming_to_ATandT

"Not Just AT&T Wireless
According to rumor, several other carriers will eventually begin offering their own versions of the XDA III. This includes Cingular Wireless and Verizon Wireless.

These might or might not have the same specifications as the AT&T version. For example, the Verizon version is expected to just have Bluetooth, not Wi-Fi."

ignar
10-08-2004, 05:01 PM
I just learned that this one has a dreadful yellow-tinted screen. Ouch.

Jason Lee
10-08-2004, 08:32 PM
What Cingular plan features would I have to enable to use this device to its fullest?

For me that means:

phone use
web browsing
viewing my webmail either through web interface or by connecting to POP/IMAP server

ChrisF
(don't car about IM)

You will need any cingular national GSM plan (prices vary) and the media works package ($19.99)

This is the setup I have right now.
cheepest phone plan $29.99 and the media works package which includes unlimited GPRS data, 1500 text messages, and 200 multi media messages!
This deal is the reason i finnaly bailed from sprint to cingular. I wanted to switch to GSM for the cool phones but couldn't justify the per MB data charges.

Unlimited data and all those messages isn't too bad in my opinion.

Jason Lee
10-08-2004, 08:35 PM
I just learned that this one has a dreadful yellow-tinted screen. Ouch.

yes it does just like the 19xx ipaqs. But it is the most readable ppc display ever when in direct sunlight! So it is a bit of a trade off.

There is also another model with a 520 MHz processor and a 1.3 MP camera supposably comming in the next few months... but who knows when/if it will make it over here...

ChrisF
10-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Jason wrote:
You will need any cingular national GSM plan (prices vary) and the media works package ($19.99)

This is the setup I have right now.
cheepest phone plan $29.99 and the media works package which includes unlimited GPRS data, 1500 text messages, and 200 multi media messages!

Thanks Jason! Just what I was looking for. I'm on a national plan now, and the media works package is fewer $$ than I would have thought would be needed.

Now there's just 8O the price of the XDAIII...

Underwater Mike
10-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey guys,

Check out my thread here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33015). Seems like Cingular is getting a little Sprint-like with its Media Works packages. Maybe they'll behave better if it's an all-in-one device?

ignar
10-09-2004, 08:08 PM
I think Cingular will force one of higher priced data plan for this device. Cingular has $79.99/month and $49.99/month data plans. $19.99 one is not supposed to be used with any devices other than phones. I think current Cingular Treo 600 users are advised to subscribe at least $49.99 plans though I don't know how strictly they enforce it.

alexm
10-11-2004, 05:43 PM
I remember reading a thread in HoFo mentioning Cingular store already started to order units, and it will be available to customers by the end of October. Looks very interesting, but my biggest concern is a weight. Last time I checked, it was more than 7oz, which will make the heaviest PDA I have if I get one. Someone may argue carrying one 7oz is better than carrying two 4oz, but I found the latter actullay works better for me. In any case, it's nice to see more PDA phones come to the US, and this one looks better than most others.

I totally agree! I got myself MDA 3 last week, and after a day of playing with it I realized that I don't want to cary such a heave deveice with me all the time, even though I'm totaly a ppcpe user. So I went back to imate (mda 2) device. Weight does matter!!!

Mauricio22
10-26-2004, 09:13 AM
I just cannot wait to buy mine through Cingular