View Full Version : 2215 wake up in cradle problem

echernosky
10-07-2004, 01:53 AM
I've read several threads on this problem... haven't found a solution. If you know the solution, I would really appreciate it.

I just got my 2215 back from :evil: HP repair :evil:. I sent it to them because when I drop the unit in the cradle, it will not automatically 'wake up'. I can turn the unit on and it will sync wonderfully (as wonderful as one can with ActiveStync)

Does anybody know the solution for this one?

Thanks,
Ed

Steven Cedrone
10-07-2004, 02:21 AM
Believe it or not, my 2215 never woke at midnight...

Until I stopped syncing Avantgo, now it wakes every night...

Coincidence? Maybe...

Steve

OSUKid7
10-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Believe it or not, my 2215 never woke at midnight...I was thinking he meant waking up/turning on when put in the cradle -- not the midnight feature/problem.

That could be a lot of things. Make sure the power connection is secure, and that the iPaq is securely pushed in the cradle. It could be a software issue with ActiveSync. Have you tried it on another computer?

echernosky
10-07-2004, 02:28 AM
Yeah, I've tried it on my home PC and my work PC. Really, really frustrated with it.

Steven Cedrone
10-07-2004, 02:29 AM
Oops :oops: You are right...

In that case, my 2215 never wakes when I drop it in the cradle. I just assumed it was a 22xx series "feature"...

Steve

ctmagnus
10-07-2004, 02:31 AM
The only time this happened to me, it turned out that I had a broken sync connector.

Does the unit charge in the cradle?

echernosky
10-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Yes. It charges in the cradle.

ctmagnus
10-07-2004, 02:40 AM
Then I'd guess it's not physically damaged.

Things to do/check:

* Unplug the cradle from the USB port and plug it back in
* Try another USB port
* Try a blast of compressed air on the USB port and sync connectors, to get rid of any gunky build-up
* Uninstall/reinstall ActiveSync

Edit: after rereading your first post, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling ActiveSync first. Make sure to delete any folders related to it (C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync and C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync) before you reinstall, as well.

phs
10-07-2004, 03:54 AM
Still syncing using the cradle?

Been syncing my 2210 using 802.11b. My wife asked me why I always go out of the house before syncing. So I told her "That's the wonder of wireless".

This is the best solution to your wake up blues.

echernosky
10-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Hmm.. Haven't been able to convince my wife that I need 802.11b yet.

On 802.11b, does it sync every x minutes... or do you have to sync it manually?

OSUKid7
10-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Hmm.. Haven't been able to convince my wife that I need 802.11b yet.

On 802.11b, does it sync every x minutes... or do you have to sync it manually?It can be set to do either. The bad thing with automatic sync is when you're away from home, it'll turn on your PDA and try to sync, using up your battery faster.

Chris Spera
10-07-2004, 07:00 PM
I don't technically have this problem, but it sure does take it a while (like 10-15 seconds) to wake after I put it in the cradle.

I think you've got a software issue.

Try backing the unit up and then do a hard reset. don't install ANY software. Set the unit in the cradle and see if it wakes and syncs. If it does, then something you installed is causing the conflict. In order to find out which one, you'll need to install 1 app at a time, pull the device from the cradle, do a soft reset, turn it off after it comes back, and then reseat it. If it wakes, then go to the next app. Once it stops, then you've found something that is causing **A** conflict (not necessarily THE conflict).

You'll need to think about what was installed before the conflict started and see what is conflicting with what before you can resolve it. It could be just 1 bad app, or it could be one interacting with another to create a conflict. You'll just have to play with it until you figure it out...

Its not easy doing this kind of testing. As a software QA professional, I know what kind of grief this is, and I feel for you (and have been in these shoes before on devices I have since retired...)

Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.

shah
10-09-2004, 11:41 PM
STUPIDs.. as stupid goes......

Mine always turns itself on.. and no midnight probs here either...

SOLUTION: If you have not yet tried it, i seem to recall on the options menu on active sync (desktop pc one) an option that you can use that says to turn the device on if its in the cradle. If you turn that option on.. Voilla.. it should work.......

Failing that.. some one else educate me..!

OSUKid7
10-10-2004, 12:09 AM
STUPIDs.. as stupid goes......

Mine always turns itself on.. and no midnight probs here either...

SOLUTION: If you have not yet tried it, i seem to recall on the options menu on active sync (desktop pc one) an option that you can use that says to turn the device on if its in the cradle. If you turn that option on.. Voilla.. it should work.......

Failing that.. some one else educate me..!Don't see that option anywhere. Where is this magical option you've created? and what's with this stupid stuff???

shah
10-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Now you got me thinking...!

Where did i see it...?

I will go an have a look on my PPC and as soon as i find it i will let you know....

Now the STUPID thing is what if i cant find it..? Duh..!

Will get back to you as soon as i can before i admit defeat..!
:oops:

shah
10-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Well i have a solution. it may or may not work.

open active sync, then go to tools then options.
click on the Rules tab and at the bottom, enable the last box of running active sync when my device connects.

Also active sync must be running on standby mode in the first instance anyway.

thanks