View Full Version : Toshiba e830: British Columbia = OK, Britain = No Way

Jonathon Watkins
10-05-2004, 11:00 PM
For all you Canadians eager to get hold of a Toshiba e830, the word is that they are available for sale and are in-stock at various London Drugs in the Lower Mainland of BC. The price is $699 for the e830W model and one of our readers picked one up on Friday. Which is great for him. :) Less great is the conversation I've been having with Toshiba UK recently. I've been phoning and emailing them since the e830 was officially globally released on the 14th of September, trying to find out where I could get hold of one. Below is the email I've just received from Toshiba UK:<br /><br />"Upon cheaking with Toshiba Japan, the E830 will NOT be launching on the UK retail network. <br />Toshiba UK has no plans as yet for an new PDA launch as yet, <br />Any future plans will be posted on our website www.computers.toshiba.co.uk"<br /><br />This is obviously disappointing news for those in the UK looking forward to getting their hands on this device. We join you guys in the US who are also <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32245&">not having the e830 officially launched</a> over there. Still, Toshiba have been known to suddenly change their plans. Now, I wonder how much shipping from Canada costs. On second thoughts, it shouldn't be long until we find out what the Dell X50 will cost.... :wink:

OTHHC
10-06-2004, 12:00 AM
The e830 due date was recently pushed out about 10 days by our primary supplier... We are expecting them on the 23rd of October but they are definitely listed and going to be selling in Canada which is good news for us.

SteveHoward999
10-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Great grammar and spelling. I bet Toshiba are proud ;-)

Toshiba's agenda seems to be very confused regarding PDAs right now. Hopefully they will get their heads out of their orificii soon enough that I can get an 830 for Christmas :-)

Mitch D
10-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Jonathon is correct on London Drugs having stock, I recieved two units into my inventory last week (Thursday I believe). Very nice unit and the price drop from the previous "E" series was nice to see.

Now if I could just get my 4700 series in stock I could decide if I want the 830, 4700 or X50.... All these choices are giving me a headache.

:)

johncruise
10-06-2004, 03:09 AM
I asked this before but...

Is the price $699 in Canadian Dollars?

Mitch D
10-06-2004, 03:22 AM
I asked this before but...

Is the price $699 in Canadian Dollars?

That would be correct... $699 + GST

Stephen Beesley
10-06-2004, 06:10 AM
Very OT, but just wondering if you two were seperated at birth:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/1931/151108578940806b1e6f956.jpg http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/1931/654863477408707bb4c4b2.jpg

:D

OTHHC
10-06-2004, 07:19 AM
Now if I could just get my 4700 series in stock I could decide if I want the 830, 4700 or X50.... All these choices are giving me a headache.
:)

We shipped out our first 4700's today. It seems that they will be pretty readily available from now on.

Both are very nice units... it is nice to have competition at the high end of the spectrum of Pocket PC's.

Jonathon Watkins
10-06-2004, 08:32 AM

You poor, poor thing. How my heart aches for you! :cry: :twak:

I'm glad you get the full choice of decent VGA PPCs. Spare a thought for the rest of us. :lol:

Jonathon Watkins
10-06-2004, 08:38 AM

I posted the email as I recieved it. I did tell them I was asking in order to share the info with you guys......

Toshiba's agenda seems to be very confused regarding PDAs right now. Hopefully they will get their heads out of their orificii soon enough that I can get an 830 for Christmas :-)

It could still happen. As I mentioned, Toshiba aren't exactly known for their stellar planning. :?

Shame really. I was looking forward to playing with an e830 and it was very high on list of potential PPCs.

Marcel_Proust
10-13-2004, 06:51 PM

I posted the email as I recieved it. I did tell them I was asking in order to share the info with you guys......

It could still happen. As I mentioned, Toshiba aren't exactly known for their stellar planning. :?

Shame really. I was looking forward to playing with an e830 and it was very high on list of potential PPCs.

Is there any more info on whether they'll be released in the States or not? It just seems odd that they would release in Canada and not in the States - exact same model and everything.