View Full Version : Missing hard drive

Shaun Stuart
10-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Any PC experts out there that can help a fellow Pocket PC user. I have a problem with my desktop PC. It has two internal 60gb hardrives - shown as Drive C and F on my computer. One of them (F) has dissapeared altogether. My wife noticed it today went she went to play the sims and the shorcuts didnt work, I tried to view a folder on the F drive and the link no longer works. The OS is loaded on the C drive so my pc starts and runs OK.

Anyone know how this sort of thing happens - have I lost everything ? how do I fix it ?

JustinGTP
10-05-2004, 11:03 PM
You probably have not lost anything on the disk. The most common problem is that the IDE Ribbon Cable has become loose or disconnected, or sometimes they just die on their own! (The IDE ribbon cable, that is)

All you have to do is open up the case and its a large, normally beige, cable that plugs into your hard drive. If you don't want to play around with this, get help from a person who claims to know what they are doing! :)

Like I said, you are probably in the clear mate.

-Justin.

OSUKid7
10-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Yep, I've had things like that happen before too. Like Honda_Civic_Si said, your data is probably safe. Chances are it's either the IDE ribbon cable or the power cable to your HD. Open up your case, and double check all connections to your hard drives. Then leave your case open while it boots up, and listen to tell if your F drive makes noise during bootup. If it doesn't then it's not getting power.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try putting it in a different computer if possible.

Good luck...let us know how it turns out.

maximus
10-06-2004, 02:02 AM
.. or someone/something accidentally un-mount the F: drive.

Try going to start-programs-accessories-system tools-computer management, and then choose the disk management.

If the F: drive is there, check the status. If it is unmounted, right-click and mount it.

If the F: drive is not there, go with the honda civic's suggestion.

Sven Johannsen
10-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Try going to start-programs-accessories-system tools-computer management, and then choose the disk management.

It's not there on my XP machine, but it is available from My Computer>RightClick>Manage (from the dropdown) and Disk Management is in the tree. Just in case.

maximus
10-07-2004, 06:59 AM
It's not there on my XP machine, but it is available from My Computer>RightClick>Manage (from the dropdown) and Disk Management is in the tree. Just in case.

Or, just search "Computer Management" on your PC.