View Full Version : Is it possible to print to a printer with an infrared port?

bradgigalo
10-05-2004, 03:05 PM
When I try it shows up that it know what type of printer it is but it always says it fails?

applejosh
10-05-2004, 03:31 PM
I've used HP's mobile printing software successfully with HP IR-enabled printers (the exact model I forget). What software are you using to print, and what printer are you trying to print to?

bradgigalo
10-05-2004, 04:08 PM
so you have to get sofware to be able to do it I thought you could just beam it

Darius Wey
10-05-2004, 04:16 PM
If your printer has an IR port, it is most likely serving as a communication port for all IR devices. Thus, if you beam something to it, it will most likely only be able to accept file transfers. The other software allows for extra functions such as direct IR printing, and HP Mobile Printing allows for this, but this depends on your printer model.

JustinGTP
10-05-2004, 11:14 PM
In simpler terms, the IR port on a printer cannot accept files. When you "beam" something, that you means you are trying to "give" the printer the file. You don't want to "give" the printer the file to store on its memory, you want to print the file.

Beaming is generally referred to as sending, transferring, or giving a file to something. The HP Mobile Printing software enables you to print the file via IR and not give the file via IR.

Comprende?

-Justin.

maximus
10-06-2004, 01:54 AM
When I try it shows up that it know what type of printer it is but it always says it fails?

It actually depends on the software that is installed on your printer. If you are sending a type of file that is recognized by the printer's software, then the printer prints it. If the file type is not recognized, then it will not print.

Example : If you beam a jpeg/gif files to a printer, most printer will print it. But if you are beaming a complex or non-printable file, like autocad/coreldraw/wav/mpeg, the software might not recognize it, hence no printout will be made.

yankeejeep
10-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Unlike desktop Windows, Windows Mobile does not have built-in print functions and they must be added, either by individual apps or by a printing app like HP's Mobile Printing. There are several printing apps available (Westtek's JetCET, PrintPocketCE, Pocket PrintBoy, and HP's Mobile Printing seem to be at the top of the heap). Only HP's is free. You will find that adding one of these will give you much more flexibility in printing from your device. Just don't expect the moon. They are limited in the document formats they will support as well as the directly-supported printers (although typically they support the standard protocols that most non-supported printers can emulate).